Thread: Anttoni Honka

Dobber Sports Wizard

Default Anttoni Honka

Anttoni Honka may be the most controversial prospect available in the 2019 NHL Draft, so I wrote a long 1,000+ word article about him >> https://dobberprospects.com/prospect...anttoni-honka/

You can also find his fantasy hockey profile from here: https://dobberprospects.com/player/anttoni-honka/

Would you like to read more articles like this in the future? And if so, which draft-eligible prospects interest you the most? I'm mostly focusing on European players, so I would prefer if you request someone from Europe.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Anttoni Honka

I drafted Ylonen in one dynasty league last year. Thought he looked good at the tournament. Curious what your thoughts on him might be. Doesn't need to be a full article length

I did enjoy the style though. We don't see too many deep dives into undrafted players like that, so I think it's something to keep up with on occasion.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    I drafted Ylonen in one dynasty league last year. Thought he looked good at the tournament. Curious what your thoughts on him might be. Doesn't need to be a full article length

I did enjoy the style though. We don't see too many deep dives into undrafted players like that, so I think it's something to keep up with on occasion.
    I feel like I've written about Ylonen extensively but I'm not actually sure if that's true or if it's just how I feel. Anyways, he had a tough time adjusting to the Liiga level (just 6 points in his first 23 games) but he was starting to find his game before the World Juniors (7 points in 8 games), so it will be very interesting to see if his good performance at the WJC gives him even more of a boost. His ice time was pretty steadily over 15 minutes lately as well whereas it was usually below that early in the season. I'll probably wait a few weeks to see how he plays in the Liiga after the tournament.

He has great tools, though. If he can put it all together, he'll be a very good NHL player. Definitely a good prospect in fantasy hockey leagues.

Dobber Sports Titan

Thanks

Also I think it was good to tare Honka, and more broadly a defenceman, as they are much tougher to project especially when we don't see them much.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Administrator

Ylonen seems to me the type who needs a couple years of seasoning. Let him add strength and develop his skills without the scrutiny of trying to stick in the NHL. Maybe not a perfect example/comparison but Lehkonen had three years post-draft to play pro in Europe before making the move to North America.

Honka should be fun to track in the coming years. He has issues but with teams shifting more and more to the puck-moving game they're finding ways to get value out of flawed/skilled defensemen.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Veteran

I'm fairly certain it was you that pumped the tires of Pavel Dorofeyev earlier this season when he played in the KHL. How's he doing?

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I'm fairly certain it was you that pumped the tires of Pavel Dorofeyev earlier this season when he played in the KHL. How's he doing?
    I've pumped so many tires I don't even remember half of them. But could be.

He's destroying competition in the Russian junior league but not able to produce in the KHL which is understandable considering his age and usage - even though he officially has 15 KHL games, his average ice time is just 7:38 and his season high is 12:47. Metallurg is a playoff team, and they haven't really had a real need for him so far this season.

The bad thing for late birthdays like him is that they're usually not good enough to play at the World Juniors (especially for Russia) and they're also too old to play at the U18 Worlds, so they don't generate any hype in international tournaments. But he's a talented winger who deserves consideration late in the 1st round, although he could slide to the 2nd round.