Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Petterson

The Great One

Default Re: Petterson

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Adam Forsythe @adamforsythe

Can we just stop this silly blame game already?
    nope, sorry. I'm still annoyed with Kotkaniemi. I already said above that it wasn't intentional, but he still shouldn't have been running interference on Pettersson. He was clearly trying to harass Pettersson and prevent him from joining the rush. If Kotkaniemi had not manhandled Pettersson, the two players wouldn't have gotten tangled and fallen to the ice.

I understand why Pettersson is saying this. Like Green, he probably doesn't want to blow this out of proportion, mostly because (luckily) Pettersson isn't seriously hurt. That doesn't change that what Kotkaniemi did was a penalty and shouldn't have happened.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    nope, sorry. I'm still annoyed with Kotkaniemi. I already said above that it wasn't intentional, but he still shouldn't have been running interference on Pettersson. He was clearly trying to harass Pettersson and prevent him from joining the rush. If Kotkaniemi had not manhandled Pettersson, the two players wouldn't have gotten tangled and fallen to the ice.

I understand why Pettersson is saying this. Like Green, he probably doesn't want to blow this out of proportion, mostly because (luckily) Pettersson isn't seriously hurt. That doesn't change that what Kotkaniemi did was a penalty and shouldn't have happened.
    I've never seen people argue so much over a missed 2-minute penalty. How many of those happen in a game?

Dobber Sports Genius

I've never seen people argue so much over a missed 2-minute penalty. How many of those happen in a game?
    I agree. Some run of the mill BS that happens dozens of times per game is getting blown out of proportion because this time it got a little ugly. There was nothing dirty or intentionally dirty about the play, yes it should've been a penalty but that doesn't mean it was dirty.

The twisted thing about it is when I hear or read Canuck/Pettersson fans claiming there will be some kind of payback I first think of the Bertuzzi/Moore garbage. There is a lot of trash talking, confrontational, chippy play that goes on to throw players off their game with NO intent to injure and its especially going to happen to the more skilled players. Clamouring for vigilante justice is more despicable than the infraction or any missed call that lead to an injury.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by hockeymanG23 View Post
    I agree. Some run of the mill BS that happens dozens of times per game is getting blown out of proportion because this time it got a little ugly. There was nothing dirty or intentionally dirty about the play, yes it should've been a penalty but that doesn't mean it was dirty.

The twisted thing about it is when I hear or read Canuck/Pettersson fans claiming there will be some kind of payback I first think of the Bertuzzi/Moore garbage. There is a lot of trash talking, confrontational, chippy play that goes on to throw players off their game with NO intent to injure and its especially going to happen to the more skilled players. Clamouring for vigilante justice is more despicable than the infraction or any missed call that lead to an injury.
    Vancouver social media is already organizing a downtown riot for the next time pettersson gets hurt. Seriously, I do agree with your take.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

The Great One

Every time I see a play like that, I get annoyed that a penalty isn't called. It is doubly-annoying when a player gets hurt because of it. There is no place in the game for scrub players to be taking liberties with star players. Whether it was a dirty play this time or not, this is just one more example of the slashing, hooking, grabbing, manhandling, and interference against star players that isn't getting consistently called by the referees.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Wizard

this is just one more example of the slashing, hooking, grabbing, manhandling, and interference against star players that isn't getting consistently called by the referees.
    This is something we can definitely agree on (you don't even need to include 'star players' in there - refs should just call it by the book).

Administrator

Too many people complain when a lot of penalties are called, thinking it's always the refs being too involved when in fact the penalties are being called because players deserve to be called. To show some of the randomness in the officiating in the Canucks/Canadiens game here is a sequence of events from the third period:

1) Penalty on Danault for tripping (questionable)
    2) Penalty on Baertschi (questionable make-up call)
    3) Blown obvious call on Weber for interference (hit Canucks player in front of the net)
    4) Blown obvious call Canucks player (high stick on Domi with blood)
    5) Penalty on Domi for retaliation (iffy considering what was just allowed)

So many contradictions here, even if you're stupidly in favor of the refs letting more stuff go in the third. There is no standard for what is a penalty.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by ericdaoust View Post
    Too many people complain when a lot of penalties are called, thinking it's always the refs being too involved when in fact the penalties are being called because players deserve to be called. To show some of the randomness in the officiating in the Canucks/Canadiens game here is a sequence of events from the third period:

1) Penalty on Danault for tripping (questionable)
    2) Penalty on Baertschi (questionable make-up call)
    3) Blown obvious call on Weber for interference (hit Canucks player in front of the net)
    4) Blown obvious call Canucks player (high stick on Domi with blood)
    5) Penalty on Domi for retaliation (iffy considering what was just allowed)

So many contradictions here, even if you're stupidly in favor of the refs letting more stuff go in the third. There is no standard for what is a penalty.
    Some good points. Personally, I think we should get away from the 'too many penalties'. The more penalties, the more power plays, the more goals. This is good for everyone except goalies (fans, players, league in general, TV stations, fantasy owners etc).

I'd rather they call too many than too few but I know some traditionalists won't like that. Generally speaking the league is healthier when scoring is up, the easiest way to do that without changing anything drastic is to call more penalties.

Nothing has been more frustration this season for me than watching mcdavid get hauled down away from the puck or interfered with constantly and it not getting called. I'd rather see everyone of them called.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    Some good points. Personally, I think we should get away from the 'too many penalties'. The more penalties, the more power plays, the more goals. This is good for everyone except goalies (fans, players, league in general, TV stations, fantasy owners etc).

I'd rather they call too many than too few but I know some traditionalists won't like that. Generally speaking the league is healthier when scoring is up, the easiest way to do that without changing anything drastic is to call more penalties.

Nothing has been more frustration this season for me than watching mcdavid get hauled down away from the puck or interfered with constantly and it not getting called. I'd rather see everyone of them called.
    That's the thing I don't get. Early on this season the refs were calling everything, and the players adjusted. Then, for some reason after power plays were way up and scoring was way up, combined with some media reports of the game getting too soft, there was a shift and the refs started letting a lot crap go uncalled. I seriously wonder what the refs are told by the NHL...if they are given mandates to call everything, let certain things go uncalled, etc. It seems at times like the refs don't even know what they are supposed to call.

From the players perspective, during the course of a game (and, generally, a season), they quickly understand what will and won't be called. All the players want is consistency. If the refs always (or almost always, accounting for penalties they legitimately don't see) call a penalty when it occurs, the players will (for the most part) stop with the clutching, grabbing, hooking, slashing, etc.

Between football, basketball, and hockey, it seems like hockey referees really are the most inconsistent, but I have a suspicion that the inconsistent stems from mandates coming from higher authorities.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Veteran

That's the thing I don't get. Early on this season the refs were calling everything, and the players adjusted. Then, for some reason after power plays were way up and scoring was way up, combined with some media reports of the game getting too soft, there was a shift and the refs started letting a lot crap go uncalled. I seriously wonder what the refs are told by the NHL...if they are given mandates to call everything, let certain things go uncalled, etc. It seems at times like the refs don't even know what they are supposed to call.

From the players perspective, during the course of a game (and, generally, a season), they quickly understand what will and won't be called. All the players want is consistency. If the refs always (or almost always, accounting for penalties they legitimately don't see) call a penalty when it occurs, the players will (for the most part) stop with the clutching, grabbing, hooking, slashing, etc.

Between football, basketball, and hockey, it seems like hockey referees really are the most inconsistent, but I have a suspicion that the inconsistent stems from mandates coming from higher authorities.
    Sorry, but the NFL takes the cake on this one.

At the end of the day, like JP mentioned above, this is a 2 minute penalty and nothing more. You can't start levying suspensions based on the outcome of the infraction ie injuries.
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    This play is nothing like Hyman's, I don't know how you can even compare them.
    You can't unless you're a massive Leaf homer.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Wizard

Good news. Slight MCL sprain. Out 1-2 weeks.

https://twitter.com/BatchHockey/stat...47222432268289
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

The Great One

Every time I see a play like that, I get annoyed that a penalty isn't called. It is doubly-annoying when a player gets hurt because of it. There is no place in the game for scrub players to be taking liberties with star players. Whether it was a dirty play this time or not, this is just one more example of the slashing, hooking, grabbing, manhandling, and interference against star players that isn't getting consistently called by the referees.
    Kotkaniemi is a scrub player? LOL

Hockey is a contact sport; best get used to it.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Kotkaniemi is a scrub player? LOL

Hockey is a contact sport; best get used to it.
    right now he is...last I checked he had less than half a point per game...that's pretty scrubby.

and yes, hockey is a contact sport, and I love a good, clean hit to take a guy off the puck or rub him into the boards as he is trying to go wide around a dman...but hooking, grabbing, holding, and interference are all penalties. There's a difference between body contact and a penalty.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

The Great One

right now he is...last I checked he had less than half a point per game...that's pretty scrubby.

and yes, hockey is a contact sport, and I love a good, clean hit to take a guy off the puck or rub him into the boards as he is trying to go wide around a dman...but hooking, grabbing, holding, and interference are all penalties. There's a difference between body contact and a penalty.
    So why aren't you outraged that Petterson wasn't called for hooking Kotkaniemi leading up to that play? Especially consider Elias had no points that game, thus proving he was nothing more than a scrub against Montreal...