Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Shayne Gostisbehere

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Shayne Gostisbehere

Any hope left? Time to move on/package him in a deal?

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Shayne Gostisbehere

No, patience is the key here...

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
    No, patience is the key here...
    I usually advocate patience as well but we are at halfway point of the season and I don’t see any signs of a turnaround, I would definitely start looking for a package deal if I was an owner
    Yahoo! 1 year league, 9 teams, Points only [G (3pts), A (2pts), PPP (1pt), Hits (0.1pt) *** W (4pts), Goals Against (-2pts), SV (0.2pt), SO (3pms)
    C: McDavid, Couturier, Kopitar, D.Strome
    LW: Guentzel, Connor, Miller, Kaprizov
    RW: Stamkos, Stone, Teravainen, Tatar
    D: Dahlin, Theodore, Andersson, Dumba
    G: Shersterkin, Talbot

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I'm a Flyers fan and I didn't draft him in any leagues.
    I'm also completely done with him patrolling PP1.

19 straight games without a PPP.
    He's become a one-trick pony on the PP1 point, he waits with his stick fluttering in the air... to one-time a shot, which half the time is going wide.
    Other teams get in his shot lane, get a piece, puck bounces off somewhere weird, team clears it down the ice, 20sec gone. Repeat.

Dobber Sports All-Star

He will bounce back next year. The whole team is sucking.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Not really one of my keepers based on only having 5.... probably move time ? What could one try to get in a package? Him as a second piece?

Dobber Sports Padawan

Nobody is scoring on the PP in Philly, it's the leagues worst ranked. I'm not pinning that overall failure on Ghost alone. Everybody on that team save for Giroux is having an awful year.

I think he's still a keep in keeper leagues because we know what he's capable of but so far this year literally nothing is going right with the Flyers.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Well... as much as I don't like him, in H2H leagues, PHI has a few weeks of decent schedule.
    You should definitely look at that first.
    I think they have two straight 4gp weeks in mid-March.

If it is H2H, look way beyond to your H2H playoff schedule and map that out.
    Ghost playing 4gp is still better than most D playing 3gp.

Dobber Sports Titan

There are MANYYYY posts out there detailing P7 and mine's dislike towards Gost, with plenty of data and examples on why he's not that good.

https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...t=Gostisbehere

He's just a shot. And people know that and he's not smart enough to not unload his shot when there's someone in the lane. If he was able to do anything else, he'd think "I could hold this and pass it off to let someone else score" but he still thinks his better play is to take a shot that has a 5% chance of going in.

The only thing that makes Gost have any value this yr is the O-Rank he has. I don't quite get why guys are still trying to score on bombs from outside that "Homeplate zone" when you're not getting it in. Like Stamkos/Kuch/Ovi, yeah I get why they shoot from there. But if I was a coach and someone was playing like Gost, I'd just tell him to never shoot it unless you're in that zone. NEVER. He simply just doesn't have that ability.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Sage

It's interesting because I don't see alot of Philly games but gost was money for me last season in my league. I tried to trade for him earlier this year and offered a huge overpayment. Thankfully it was declined and I haven't been buying since.

I appreciate the Philly fans weighing in as I keep thinking he's a guy in going to be able to steal at next year's draft but I'm rethinking this approach a bit.

For the op. As always, it depends on the return for me. In a keep 5 he's not a keeper but if you can't get a good player for him I still don't think he's droppable.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I'm a Flyers fan and I didn't draft him in any leagues.
    I'm also completely done with him patrolling PP1.

19 straight games without a PPP.
    He's become a one-trick pony on the PP1 point, he waits with his stick fluttering in the air... to one-time a shot, which half the time is going wide.
    Other teams get in his shot lane, get a piece, puck bounces off somewhere weird, team clears it down the ice, 20sec gone. Repeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    There are MANYYYY posts out there detailing P7 and mine's dislike towards Gost, with plenty of data and examples on why he's not that good.

https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...t=Gostisbehere

He's just a shot. And people know that and he's not smart enough to not unload his shot when there's someone in the lane. If he was able to do anything else, he'd think "I could hold this and pass it off to let someone else score" but he still thinks his better play is to take a shot that has a 5% chance of going in.

The only thing that makes Gost have any value this yr is the O-Rank he has. I don't quite get why guys are still trying to score on bombs from outside that "Homeplate zone" when you're not getting it in. Like Stamkos/Kuch/Ovi, yeah I get why they shoot from there. But if I was a coach and someone was playing like Gost, I'd just tell him to never shoot it unless you're in that zone. NEVER. He simply just doesn't have that ability.
    Genuine question here because I haven't seen a lot of Gostisbehere play nor have I owned him since his rookie campaign (refused to overdraft him in year 2 and wasn't sure about a bounce back in year 3), but what factors do you think have played a role in his poor numbers this year? It's such a drastic drop from his production last season.Luck? Or are there actual factors contributing to this horrible season?
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Jedi

I do recall, about 24months ago... similar conversations were taking place about Klingberg. There was even a stretch where threads would be created when he had 2 sog in a single game. In that stretch he had multiple - multi-game streaks with no sog. He ended up with 48pts by seasons end.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    Genuine question here because I haven't seen a lot of Gostisbehere play nor have I owned him since his rookie campaign (refused to overdraft him in year 2 and wasn't sure about a bounce back in year 3), but what factors do you think have played a role in his poor numbers this year? It's such a drastic drop from his production last season.Luck? Or are there actual factors contributing to this horrible season?
    Follow the link in my post.

Simple explanation...he gets most of his points on the PP, if the team isn't getting powerplay opportunities (PPO), and they aren't scoring on those PPO, then he won't be producing.

But Gost is just not a good PPQB, he's a PP shooter...who has 0 aim. P7 has made other points on Gost in the past too. I remember seeing a stat on zone entries and he was like the worst PP1 D-man in the league at zone entries too.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

The Great One

Gostisbehere may not be a 65 pt dman (like he was last year), but he isn't a 35 pt dman (his current pace). I confidently feel that he is a reliable 50 pt dman most years, which makes him a buy-low candidate. I've commented on other Gostisbehere threads already, but to repeat I traded him in the off-season (when he was a sell-high), but recently re-acquired him (when he is a buy-low). It is true that Gostisbehere needs to change things up a bit on the PP, but to suggest that his only weapon is his shot is selling him a bit short. Gostisbehere is a terrific passer, skater, and an elite stickhandler. This year, for whatever reason he seems to be relying too much on his shot (and yes, it gets blocked a lot), but I think it is more about a lack of confidence and pressure to put the puck on the net to try to create a scoring chance. The entire PP unit is struggling and the players are feeling the pressure. Personally, I blame the coaching staff for not helping the players figure this out. They need to switch it up, remind Gostisbehere that he doesn't have to shoot so much. Let him maneuver on the half wall, switch spots more often with Giroux and/or Voracek. Last year, Gostisbehere was a master of doing that and sneaking to the hash marks to receive a backdoor pass from Giroux or Voracek. I'm just not seeing that much this year, at least not on the power play. I've seen him sneak back door in overtime and score a goal this way at even strength the day after I acquired him via the trade (Dec. 18).

I'm not giving up on him. Eventually he and the entire Philly PP will sort itself out. They are way too good to be ranked so low (26th in the league, or thereabouts).
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Gostisbehere may not be a 65 pt dman (like he was last year), but he isn't a 35 pt dman (his current pace). I confidently feel that he is a reliable 50 pt dman most years, which makes him a buy-low candidate. I've commented on other Gostisbehere threads already, but to repeat I traded him in the off-season (when he was a sell-high), but recently re-acquired him (when he is a buy-low). It is true that Gostisbehere needs to change things up a bit on the PP, but to suggest that his only weapon is his shot is selling him a bit short. Gostisbehere is a terrific passer, skater, and an elite stickhandler. This year, for whatever reason he seems to be relying too much on his shot (and yes, it gets blocked a lot), but I think it is more about a lack of confidence and pressure to put the puck on the net to try to create a scoring chance. The entire PP unit is struggling and the players are feeling the pressure. Personally, I blame the coaching staff for not helping the players figure this out. They need to switch it up, remind Gostisbehere that he doesn't have to shoot so much. Let him maneuver on the half wall, switch spots more often with Giroux and/or Voracek. Last year, Gostisbehere was a master of doing that and sneaking to the hash marks to receive a backdoor pass from Giroux or Voracek. I'm just not seeing that much this year, at least not on the power play. I've seen him sneak back door in overtime and score a goal this way at even strength the day after I acquired him via the trade (Dec. 18).

I'm not giving up on him. Eventually he and the entire Philly PP will sort itself out. They are way too good to be ranked so low (26th in the league, or thereabouts).
    Agreed. He hasn't lost his talent, which he has plenty of.