Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Shayne Gostisbehere

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Shayne Gostisbehere

So what is Sanheim's real potential if he stays in this team?

I don't see how dobber has him getting 40+ pts in the next 3 years...something needs to give

The Great One

Sanheim is a great young player and has been consistently getting top pairing minutes and secondary use on the power play. This year, 40 pts is way out of the question. However, if the Flyers get their offense figured out, I could see Sanheim score 30+ pts most seasons by virtue of being on the ice for 23-25 mins a night and getting secondary pp time. I think both Sanheim and Provorov are in similar situations...both capable of 30+ pts most years, this abysmal year aside.

As long as Gostisbehere is around, he will get the most pp time for a dman on this team, and therefore get the most points (most years).
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    Sanheim is a great young player and has been consistently getting top pairing minutes and secondary use on the power play. This year, 40 pts is way out of the question. However, if the Flyers get their offense figured out, I could see Sanheim score 30+ pts most seasons by virtue of being on the ice for 23-25 mins a night and getting secondary pp time. I think both Sanheim and Provorov are in similar situations...both capable of 30+ pts most years, this abysmal year aside.

As long as Gostisbehere is around, he will get the most pp time for a dman on this team, and therefore get the most points (most years).
    Thank you! unfortunately our league needs 40+ pts dmen if you want to be a factor, I would not pay to acquire him even if I am rebuilding.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Gostisbehere to Edmonton for JP and Talbot. I can't find the tweet but it should be out there somewhere.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Gostisbehere to Edmonton for JP and Talbot. I can't find the tweet but it should be out there somewhere.
    This would be a dream come true for me in so many ways that I wouldn't even be able to contain my excitement.

That said, this deal would be absolutely horrible for the Flyers. Wish it were true, though.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Jedi

There would need to be at least a 1st included in a deal like that.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports All-Star

This would be a dream come true for me in so many ways that I wouldn't even be able to contain my excitement.

That said, this deal would be absolutely horrible for the Flyers. Wish it were true, though.
    Yes it would be bad for the Flyers. Just like the Simmons deal would be.

What are we to expect next season? Does this team stay together with a new coach, or does it get torn apart? I can't imagine that happening. They are a goalie away from being a serious contender.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Talbot & Pulj for Andrew MacDonald would make a lot more Chia sense
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Initiate

two nights in a row Ghost is playing around 16 minutes.. Provorov seems to have taken over the minutes. Today they are still running 5 forwards on PP1?

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by gogoayane View Post
    two nights in a row Ghost is playing around 16 minutes.. Provorov seems to have taken over the minutes. Today they are still running 5 forwards on PP1?
    Provorov and Sanheim have generally been getting more minutes than Gostisbehere all season, so that isn't a surprise. That said, they are still running a 5-forward PP unit, and they scored again (two goals in two games). Considering how successful the unit has been early on, I assume they will stick with it for a while yet.

Without 1st unit PP time, Gostisbehere is generally a non-factor in the game. I know people bash his defense, but I dare anyone to watch him closely and tell me how many times he makes a defensive error. This year, he barely joins the rush on the offense and really focuses on his defensive positioning. Because of this, his even-strength production is almost non-existent, and without PP time, his fantasy value disappears.

As an aside, Voracek's backwards skating was exploited on a short-handed rush during the game. The Bruins didn't score on the play, but the penalty-killing forward blew by Voracek like he was standing still. As much as the 5-forward formation seems to be working, it won't take long for teams to figure this out and be very aggressive when they see Voracek playing the point. Once teams start scoring some shorties, they may decide to go back to Gostisbehere.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Without 1st unit PP time, Gostisbehere is generally a non-factor in the game. I know people bash his defense, but I dare anyone to watch him closely and tell me how many times he makes a defensive error. This year, he barely joins the rush on the offense and really focuses on his defensive positioning. Because of this, his even-strength production is almost non-existent, and without PP time, his fantasy value disappears.

As an aside, Voracek's backwards skating was exploited on a short-handed rush during the game. The Bruins didn't score on the play, but the penalty-killing forward blew by Voracek like he was standing still. As much as the 5-forward formation seems to be working, it won't take long for teams to figure this out and be very aggressive when they see Voracek playing the point. Once teams start scoring some shorties, they may decide to go back to Gostisbehere.
    I agree with these comments... but the "backwards skating" thing is being a bit overrated.

I mean, what's better:
    100 power-plays resulting in 22 goals for, 5 shorties against, or
    100 power-plays resulting in 15 goals for, 0 shorties against

There was a Ghost play late in the 2nd that defined the way I feel/summarzie Ghost.
    A puck was coming up the left wall in the Flyers offensive zone.
    Ghost held the puck in (good), then made an incredible stick-handling move to deke the oncoming forward (GREAT!), had himself some clear lane to walk in a few steps (good)... but then sailed a shot puck way wide of the net (bad), leading to the opposing team coming back up ice quickly (REALLY bad).

His long-range shooting just kind of blows this year.
    And he's not making great passes.

The pass that Krug made to Pastrnak on the first goal... that's the kind of creativity/vision that PHI (or any team) needs out of Ghost (their PP-point/QB) on the PP.
    But Ghost hasn't/can't do that.

Ghost has this very awesome, but limited, skill-set: including his one-time slapshot and his deke at the blueline.
    His passing is underwhelming and his shooting accuracy is underwhelming.
    His skating is solid, and he can carry a puck up ice... but he just can't make the creative+solid pass at the end of his rush - at least... I haven't seen it... enough.
    (I do agree with you that Ghost's D isn't nearly as bad as people criticize... people hate on offensive D-men blindly with that style of remark, much as many did/do to Karlsson.)

I'm glad the Flyers are trying something different.

And I wish they could move/trade him... but I'm not sure other teams need what he offers.

The big downside, IMO, on Ghost is this: The NHL has gotten smaller and faster.
    So... there's a lot of undersized D-men (like Quinn Hughes) on their way into the NHL.

These guys are going to make Ghost a "dime a dozen" sort of player... and the market-desire for a Ghost will decline... because teams can just draft one.
    [I root for the guy because it's the same sort of game I had growing up (undersized, offensive D-man) - but I just think what he offers will soon be something that every team has a defensemen that can do... but better.]

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Is Provorov waking up? Please say he is... 4 points in 3 games and last night 2 hits and 5 blocks albeit no shots

Thanks for the detailed insight Seadawg and Pengwin7
    12 Team, Weekly H2H w/ Daily Lineups, Keep 5

[SIZE=1]Scoring: PLAYER: G, A, PIM, PP, Hit, Blk, FoW, SOG GOALIE: Save, W, GAA, S%,
    Positions - 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 5D, 2G, 5 Bench, 3 IR

C: Zibanejad, Eichel, Cozens, Fantilli
    LW: Stutzle (C), Benn, Nichuskin (RW), Lehkonen
    RW: A. Svechnikov (L), Wilson, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, McAvoy, Heiskanen, Nurse, Werenski, L. Hughes
    G: Sorokin, Hill, Schmid
    IR: Pacioretti

​2017-18 and 2019/20 Champion, 3rd place 2015-16, 16-17 , 18-19, 20-21

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by JaysFan View Post
    Is Provorov waking up? Please say he is... 4 points in 3 games and last night 2 hits and 5 blocks albeit no shots

Thanks for the detailed insight Seadawg and Pengwin7
    Honestly, Provorov is playing the same way lately that he pretty much has all season. Because he generally plays top pairing minutes, he "should" get his share of secondary assists at even strength. For whatever reason, be it bad luck or simply lack of scoring in general for the Flyers, Provorov wasn't getting the points early on. Yes, he has gotten some of late, but not much has changed with his game. In general, the Flyers have just been scoring lately (finally).
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I agree with these comments... but the "backwards skating" thing is being a bit overrated.
    I'm not saying it is a huge deal, yet, but knowing the way teams pre-scout and adapt their penalty killing strategies, I have a sense teams will start aggressively attacking Voracek when they see him playing the point or trying to skate backwards to break up a short-handed rush. Truthfully, I don't see the 5-forward PP unit lasting long-term because of this.

That said, I generally agree with everything you are saying. Gostisbehere is my favorite player, but I know his strengths and weaknesses, and I think you correctly described them. As I've stated before, I still feel he can be effective on the power play, but he needs to go back to what was successful last year, which was namely using his skating and elusiveness to switch between the half wall and the point (swapping with Voracek), and looking for the cross-seam pass to or from Giroux. When the Flyers were doing that, they were successful. This year, for the most part Gostisbehere planted himself on the point and kept ripping one-timers that were predictable and continually blocked.

I'd love to see the Flyers deal Gostisbehere. I think Sanheim or Provorov could handle PP duties well enough, and despite his flaws, I feel Gostisbehere could fetch a nice return, especially given his awesome contract and ability to play a solid second pairing role coupled with an above average transition game and offensive instincts that some teams (looking at the Oilers, for instance) don't yet have on the backend.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap

Dobber Sports Sage

Hijack: Any chance provorov sees some pp1 time before gost if they for back to a defensmen? I noticed his pp time was tops among defensmen last game (small sample size as there wasn't alot of pp time to go around). From memory he did really well last season when gost was injured.

He's a free agent in my points only league.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):