Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Karlsson to have hearing for Wanger hit

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Karlsson to have hearing for Wanger hit

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I posted a link above. It has 2 angles. From the back side you can't really see anything. But if you look at the 2nd clip, at 11 second mark, you can CLEARLY see Karlsson's shoulder hit Wagner directly in the face. Wagner's head gets snapped to the side, and Wanger's shoulder/body do not move. That this is a head shot cannot be any clearer than that 2nd angle. And again, I think this was more careless than predatory by Karlsson. I have no issues with a 2 game ban for this.
    Youre right. I didn't see it in the clip from the op and missed your link. That's a reasonable suspension. Amazing how different things look when they are slowed down at different angles.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    Youre right. I didn't see it in the clip from the op and missed your link. That's a reasonable suspension. Amazing how different things look when they are slowed down at different angles.
    Indeed. It's also very understandable why the refs didn't catch this at game speed. NHL reffing is an incredibly difficult job.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Indeed. It's also very understandable why the refs didn't catch this at game speed. NHL reffing is an incredibly difficult job.
    Agree 100%. Part of the problem is because they are not held accountable for their incompetence. They let way too much shit go, which ultimately falls on the lap of the NHL itself because for some reason, they don't discipline them.

This was my post on that thread.

lol So they miss the unsportsmanlike conduct on two players on the bench for holding Calverts stick. Then they miss the spear. Then they miss the sucker punch, even though the linesman was 3 feet away. Then they miss all the roughing that was going on. Like I said, the 4 officials should be called on. That is just incompetence.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by Godin View Post
    Agree 100%. Part of the problem is because they are not held accountable for their incompetence. They let way too much shit go, which ultimately falls on the lap of the NHL itself because for some reason, they don't discipline them.
    We can agree to disagree on this one; the NHL has the best of the best. It's easy to criticize while sitting on your couch watching a game. Try being a referee for a game and see how well you do...

Dobber Sports All-Star

We can agree to disagree on this one; the NHL has the best of the best. It's easy to criticize while sitting on your couch watching a game. Try being a referee for a game and see how well you do...
    I think I would have called something on this play.....

https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...ert-from-Bench

You?

This was my post on that thread.

lol So they miss the unsportsmanlike conduct on two players on the bench for holding Calverts stick. Then they miss the spear. Then they miss the sucker punch, even though the linesman was 3 feet away. Then they miss all the roughing that was going on. Like I said, the 4 officials should be called on. That is just incompetence.

The Great One

That's really the best you have for referee incompetence?

Did you happen to notice that the announcers had no idea what happened with the holding the stick until the 2nd replay? LOL

I'm not sure which part bothers you more: that the referees missed a holding a stick penalty that was nowhere near where the play was at the time, or that they missed a punch during a scrum with 10 people flying around. These things happen in a split second. But yeah, it's easy to make these calls after watch the replay three times, and seeing it in slow motion. Actual refs don't have this benefit...

Dobber Sports All-Star

Lol. Like i said, there were plenty of calls that could should have been made. Take your pick.

Lol. The announcers are further away then the fans. Seriously?

Lol when you are being paid to referee a hockey game, you cant get any closer and there was nothing high speed about any of those infractions that should have been missed by well trained officials. Lol. Tripping infractions as well as well as elbows, high sticks, hooking all happen in a split second. Give me a break. Is that the best you have?

The Great One

Go ahead. Show me any part of that video that warranted discipline for the referees? That's just comical if it's the best example you have of incompetence...

Dobber Sports All-Star

Go ahead. Show me any part of that video that warranted discipline for the referees? That's just comical if it's the best example you have of incompetence...
    Not calling the infractions i mentioned. All of them are in the rule book. I understand missing one, but 6 or 7? Come on.

The Great One

Not calling the infractions i mentioned. All of them are in the rule book. I understand missing one, but 6 or 7? Come on.
    Let's take them one by one. 1st you mention holding Calvert's stick. That happened NO WHERE near the play and lasted a second or two. The referees were likely following the play and the puck, and not zeroing in on the bench. I have no idea how you'd expect this to be called. The spear and the sucker punch. That lasted what, one to two seconds? Yeah, a linesmen is there but they don't call minor penalties...and they can only call what they see. The announcers completely missed this too, because it happened so far away from the play. You can't call what you see. And the roughing? Really? That's what you want to hold your hat on for calling refs incompetent and saying they should be disciplined? Those minor skirmishes happen ALL the time. If there were conincidnetal minors called there, would all be well in your world? If you want the game called by the rules in the book, there probably would be a penalty called on every play. (Same as NFL - there is holding on the line of virtually every play). Hence the need for discretion. If you want to argue that referees are completely incompetent, I just can't believe that the Karlsson hit and Detriot skirmish are the best examples you can come up with. Seriously, if this kind of officiating bothers you, I'm surprised you watch hockey. Because the subjective aspect of reffing will always exist (they are human, and they can only call what they see). I don't think reffring will get any better than it is right now. They've added a 2nd ref to account for the speed of the game, I really don't see what else they can do...

Lastly, NHL referees do face disciplined, it's just not done in public. They can be fined. They can lose their spot in a rotation or in playoff matchups. Refs are ranked by the NHL, they just don't publish this stuff. No league does (that I'm aware of)…..

Dobber Sports All-Star

Let's take them one by one. 1st you mention holding Calvert's stick. That happened NO WHERE near the play and lasted a second or two. The referees were likely following the play and the puck, and not zeroing in on the bench. I have no idea how you'd expect this to be called. The spear and the sucker punch. That lasted what, one to two seconds? Yeah, a linesmen is there but they don't call minor penalties...and they can only call what they see. The announcers completely missed this too, because it happened so far away from the play. You can't call what you see. And the roughing? Really? That's what you want to hold your hat on for calling refs incompetent and saying they should be disciplined? Those minor skirmishes happen ALL the time. If there were conincidnetal minors called there, would all be well in your world? If you want the game called by the rules in the book, there probably would be a penalty called on every play. (Same as NFL - there is holding on the line of virtually every play). Hence the need for discretion. If you want to argue that referees are completely incompetent, I just can't believe that the Karlsson hit and Detriot skirmish are the best examples you can come up with. Seriously, if this kind of officiating bothers you, I'm surprised you watch hockey. Because the subjective aspect of reffing will always exist (they are human, and they can only call what they see). I don't think reffring will get any better than it is right now. They've added a 2nd ref to account for the speed of the game, I really don't see what else they can do...

Lastly, NHL referees do face disciplined, it's just not done in public. They can be fined. They can lose their spot in a rotation or in playoff matchups. Refs are ranked by the NHL, they just don't publish this stuff. No league does (that I'm aware of)…..
    Here is another case in my favor which is backed up by many who are in the Hockey business. The 2 referees could use some help explaining this one, but i'm sure you have their back.

https://torontosun.com/sports/hockey...1-4e4935bdffe7

Dobber Sports Sage

Here is another case in my favor which is backed up by many who are in the Hockey business. The 2 referees could use some help explaining this one, but i'm sure you have their back.

This crap happens to mcdavid every game. This one is particularly bad and it looks even worse because in the video it appears the ref is looking right at it. Not good for the NHL if he or any star goes down to something like this.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Jedi

I got nothing....
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

The Great One

Point 1: you have no response to anything I said about what wasn't called in the last video. THIS SPEAKS VOLUMES.

Point 2: In the 50+ games since that video, you've now found a 2nd clip (based on 5 seconds of hockey) that "proves" your point that refs in the NHL are incompetent. If all you can come up with is 5 seconds of video per month, I'd say your proof is pretty weak.

There will always be missed calls in a professional sport as fast (and as physical) as the NHL (or NFL). If you are going to get your panties in a bunch each time a call gets missed, I seriously don't know why you even bother watching sports. It must cause you endless pain and frustration....

Dobber Sports All-Star

Point 1: you have no response to anything I said about what wasn't called in the last video. THIS SPEAKS VOLUMES.

Point 2: In the 50+ games since that video, you've now found a 2nd clip (based on 5 seconds of hockey) that "proves" your point that refs in the NHL are incompetent. If all you can come up with is 5 seconds of video per month, I'd say your proof is pretty weak.

There will always be missed calls in a professional sport as fast (and as physical) as the NHL (or NFL). If you are going to get your panties in a bunch each time a call gets missed, I seriously don't know why you even bother watching sports. It must cause you endless pain and frustration....
    To point 1, just watch the video. It clearly speaks for itself. The refs had to see at least 4 of the 7 infractions that took place in that sequence, although, i'm pretty sure they seen everyone of them...but again, the video says it all.

To point 2, I don't go looking for looking for proof of incompetent refereeing. It happens every game so take your pick. Remember when Gaudreau was slashed 7 times in a game a couple of years ago before they finally broke his finger? Not one slashing penalty was called, and last I checked, slashing is a penalty. If they called 2 or 3 of those slashes, lol now we're satisfied if they just call 30% of all infractions, Gaudreau probably would have finished that game unscaved.

I actually don't watch a lot of hockey these days so my panties are just fine. Apparently, i'm not alone as proven by the article I posted....but, I do wish I was more like you and didn't care about the referreing. You are unique.

There is incompetence in everyday life. I see it everywhere, and it gets worse because people aren't held accountable, so who cares I guess. Just like referreing. Like I said, it's a hell of a tough job, but they do get paid well and there are a lot of referees waiting to take their jobs in the AHL, just like the players, however, there seems to be a lot more loyalty to the referees then the players and they seem to know that.