Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Karlsson to have hearing for Wanger hit

The Great One

Default Karlsson to have hearing for Wanger hit

Erik Karlsson will have a hearing for this hit on Wagner. It’s blindside but I don’t see the head as being targeted...

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1683870
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Karlsson to have hearing for Wanger hit

I’m all for taking dirty hits out of the game but that one doesn’t even look like it deserves a hearing let alone any potential discipline.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Sage

Whet am I missing here? Why is there a hearing for a shoulder on shoulder hit?
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Veteran

Looks like shoulder to shoulder to me.

Not any worse than Martel’s hit on Stecher the other night Tampa Bay vs Vancouver, resulting in a concussion to Stecher.
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Strome, Haula
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Svechnikov-RW/LW, Hathaway
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Benoit, Schneider, Burroughs
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Sage

It's not even like Karlsson was aiming high. The puck was on Wagner's stick. If he gets fined or suspended I'll be... Dumbfounded...

I feel like this is all optics because Wagner was wobbly after the hit. Nhl can say they take it serious, took a look at it, and found no discipline necessary.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

The Great One

They want to talk to him on the phone to tell him what a great hit this was is my guess.

Administrator

Shoulder to shoulder. The injury happened because of how Wagner's body was positioned.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    Whet am I missing here? Why is there a hearing for a shoulder on shoulder hit?
    The department of player safety disagrees: San Jose’s Erik Karlsson will have a hearing tomorrow for an illegal check to the head on Los Angeles’ Austin Wagner.

Edit: I just watched this and hit frame by frame. Shoulder clearly hit him in the head. Head also appears to be primary point of contact. While I'm not saying he will get suspended, it baffles me how anyone could be baffled that the NHL would review this hit.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    The department of player safety disagrees: San Jose’s Erik Karlsson will have a hearing tomorrow for an illegal check to the head on Los Angeles’ Austin Wagner.

Edit: I just watched this and hit frame by frame. Shoulder clearly hit him in the head. Head also appears to be primary point of contact. While I'm not saying he will get suspended, it baffles me how anyone could be baffled that the NHL would review this hit.
    To be fair I've only seen it in the link provided by the op (didn't see the game). In that link it looks like he comes in at a normal height and goes shoulder to shoulder, especially when they show the hit from the back angle. If there's another angle that shows the head being the primary point of contact I just haven't seen it. I'm all for eliminating hits to the head I just didn't think this was one. Interested to see what happens here.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

The Great One

To be fair I've only seen it in the link provided by the op (didn't see the game). In that link it looks like he comes in at a normal height and goes shoulder to shoulder, especially when they show the hit from the back angle. If there's another angle that shows the head being the primary point of contact I just haven't seen it. I'm all for eliminating hits to the head I just didn't think this was one. Interested to see what happens here.
    That's fair enough. The only story I read (before seeing the video) was this: https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/sha...030947830.html. Maybe that biased me, but the story made it sound like it wasn't even debatable if it was a head shot. The only question is if it was a targeted head shot. And, as I say, when I hit pause on this hit, Karlsson's shoulder is in 100 percent direct contact with Wagner's face. Maybe he clipped his shoulder first, but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that there was shoulder to head contact.

With a player in a vulnerable position (blind spot), the person throwing the hit absolutely has to make sure it's shoulder on shoulder. The only way a player should get off on this if the player being hit makes a sudden move that changes the point of impact. My personal belief is that Karlsson wasn't being a predator, but was extremely careless on this hit. And I have zero issues with removing these hits from the game. With the concussion lawsuit against the NHL, the NHL has to make it look like they take this stuff seriously.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Karlsson suspended for two games. Damn.
    10 Owner Keepers. Keep 8

Positions----C:3 LW:3 RW:3 D:6 G:2
    Skaters: Assists/Blocks/FOW/Goals/Hits/SOG/STP
    Defense premium 1.5/1 Goalies: GA/SV/W

Kootenay League

C: Draisaitl(c,l), Zibanejad, Beniers, Nelson
    RW:Meier(l,r), Kyrou, Tippett, D.Stome(c,r), Stone
    LW: Tkachuk(l,r), Panarin, McCann(c,l), Marchessault(l,r),
    D: Josi, McAvoy, Morrissey, Montour, Toews, Hronek, Severson, Orlov
    G: Gustavsson, Kuemper, Gibson

Dobber Sports Pro

2 games for Karlsson!
    League 1
    10 team, Dynasty, points only, 30 players, keep20 starts 12 F, 6 D, 2G , unlimited prospects(can keep them max 5 years)
    F: Mackinnon,Marner, Panarin, Eichel, Fiala, Hughes, Svechnikov, Robertson, Bratt, Kuznetsov, Hischier, B.Tkachuk, M.Tkachuk, Scheifele, Wheeler, Jenner, Drouin, Tatar, Colton
    D:Hughes, Hamilton, Karlsson, Dunn, Burns, Theodore, Slavin, Trouba G: Shesterkin, Binnington, Vanecek
    League2
    Cap league (82.5M with AAV), points only, 12 teams, keep 7, (9F, 4D, 2G)
    F: Hughes, Zuccarello,RNH, Marchessault, Scheifele, Toffoli, O’Reilly, Trocheck, Buchnevich extra: Marchenko
    D: Makar, Dahlin, Seider, Andersson
    G: Hellebuyck, Talbot

Dobber Sports Sage

Does anyone have another angle on this hit? I'm clearly blind here.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

The Great One

Does anyone have another angle on this hit? I'm clearly blind here.
    I posted a link above. It has 2 angles. From the back side you can't really see anything. But if you look at the 2nd clip, at 11 second mark, you can CLEARLY see Karlsson's shoulder hit Wagner directly in the face. Wagner's head gets snapped to the side, and Wanger's shoulder/body do not move. That this is a head shot cannot be any clearer than that 2nd angle. And again, I think this was more careless than predatory by Karlsson. I have no issues with a 2 game ban for this.

The Great One

Here is the NHL explanation: https://www.nhl.com/news/erik-karlss...?tid=277549076. This clip is even better. Watch the full clip, including the close up.