Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pettersson a keeper?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Pettersson a keeper?

Keep 3 league where you can only keep a guy for 4 years. Would it be good to try and grab Pettersson for the likes of Malkin (3rd keeper year) and maybe get something else in return? Is Pettersson the superstar he's looking like?
    H2H - 3 keepers (4 year max.) - 12 teams - 2 C, 2 RW, 2 LW, 1 F, 4 D, 1 Util., 2 G, 3 Bench, IR, IR+, IR+

Skaters - G, A, P, +/-, SOG, PPP, HIT, BLK
    Goalies - W, GAA, SV%, SV

C - McDavid, Crosby, Kyrou
    RW - Kuch, P. Kane, Batherson, Wilson
    LW - Fiala, Hagel, Verhaeghe
    D - Dahlin, Hedman, Morrissey, Theodore, Dunn
    G - Hellebuyck, Ullmark, Binnington
    IR - Sergachev

Default Re: Pettersson a keeper?

Yes.

Not biased?
    H2H - 3 keepers (4 year max.) - 12 teams - 2 C, 2 RW, 2 LW, 1 F, 4 D, 1 Util., 2 G, 3 Bench, IR, IR+, IR+

Skaters - G, A, P, +/-, SOG, PPP, HIT, BLK
    Goalies - W, GAA, SV%, SV

C - McDavid, Crosby, Kyrou
    RW - Kuch, P. Kane, Batherson, Wilson
    LW - Fiala, Hagel, Verhaeghe
    D - Dahlin, Hedman, Morrissey, Theodore, Dunn
    G - Hellebuyck, Ullmark, Binnington
    IR - Sergachev

Nope, he’s just a generational talent. Followed him from prior to the summer he was drafted. His progress in Sweden was insane and last year it would have translated to 4p/g in the CHL had he played there.

You just hope a player makes the transition and doesn’t bust and we’ve been very fortunate. There’s been absolutely no turbulence - he’s the real deal.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks13 View Post
    Nope, he’s just a generational talent. Followed him from prior to the summer he was drafted. His progress in Sweden was insane and last year it would have translated to 4p/g in the CHL had he played there.

You just hope a player makes the transition and doesn’t bust and we’ve been very fortunate. There’s been absolutely no turbulence - he’s the real deal.
    I think this statement is a bit of a stretch. As usual that term gets thrown around too loosely. Crosby would be generational talent in our generation. Pettersson is a very good hockey player, a potential franchise player, but unlikely generational. There's a difference and that argument is one for a different thread.

To the OP, I can see an argument as to why you'd want to keep Pettersson. You question is a little vague. Are you saying you would trade Malkin for Pettersson "and a little something"?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I think this statement is a bit of a stretch. As usual that term gets thrown around too loosely. Crosby would be generational talent in our generation. Pettersson is a very good hockey player, a potential franchise player, but unlikely generational. There's a difference and that argument is one for a different thread.

To the OP, I can see an argument as to why you'd want to keep Pettersson. You question is a little vague. Are you saying you would trade Malkin for Pettersson "and a little something"?
    It sounds like it's Pettersson + for Malkin is what he's saying.

3.5yrs of Pettersson vs 1.5yrs of Malkin....
    I'd be curious if the Pettersson owner would even do it straight up let alone Pettersson+
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

If you've watched 1 period of Pettersson I'm shocked you would ask this question so let's assume you haven't watched Elias play at all. Spoiler: he's amazing, calder winner, will score 100 points next year as Malkin hits the IR. The other guy is probably salivating at the thought of getting Pettersson for Malkin.

Dobber Sports Recruit

I think it has more to do with who you have kept for how long. Not knowing that and based on your scoring which I'm assuming is H2H Roto, not points which would be a different strategy. I'd probably go with Kucherov, Gaudreau and one of the defenseman. If this was deeper I'd keep Pettersson. Overall, Kucherov, Gaudreau and a defenseman will give you more value than a Pettersson at the moment. That doesn't mean he wont be a star in the next few years but given your, format I think it's more important to take the guaranteed categories and gamble on hitting in the draft. There are a plethora of Center eligible players whereas it's harder to find good roto D-men. I think you have a better shot at redrafting Pettersson than you would a Kucherov, Gaudreau or a current top 5 roto D-man like Letang.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by BenTrovato View Post
    If you've watched 1 period of Pettersson I'm shocked you would ask this question so let's assume you haven't watched Elias play at all. Spoiler: he's amazing, calder winner, will score 100 points next year as Malkin hits the IR. The other guy is probably salivating at the thought of getting Pettersson for Malkin.
    People over use "Generational Talent" as you did.

McDavid and Crosby are Generational
    Malkin, Ovi, Matthews, Marner, Eichel, JG, Kuch, Stamkos those guys are in their best ever...Elite.

Don't use generational for a guy who does things others do. Kuch can score 100pts, doesn't make him generational. Pettersson can score 100pts one season, doesn't mean he's generational. Generational Talent is a player of the ages, does things not 1 other player in the NHL can even think of doing. You can go generations without a generational talent, it's something special and doesn't just get tossed around, but a lot of people toss it around to describe Elite players.

Pettersson has the potential to be Elite, he is a far ways from Generational. Not saying he can't get there, but he's legit has to get to McDavid level to be generational. And he just isn't projected to be that. Would you trade Pettersson for McDavid? Yes, and that proves the point that McDavid is Generational and Pettersson is not.

Don't talk down to forum members because they are saying you are using a term wrong in a respectable tone.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    People over use "Generational Talent" as you did.

McDavid and Crosby are Generational
    Malkin, Ovi, Matthews, Marner, Eichel, JG, Kuch, Stamkos those guys are in their best ever...Elite.

Don't use generational for a guy who does things others do. Kuch can score 100pts, doesn't make him generational. Pettersson can score 100pts one season, doesn't mean he's generational. Generational Talent is a player of the ages, does things not 1 other player in the NHL can even think of doing. You can go generations without a generational talent, it's something special and doesn't just get tossed around, but a lot of people toss it around to describe Elite players.

Pettersson has the potential to be Elite, he is a far ways from Generational. Not saying he can't get there, but he's legit has to get to McDavid level to be generational. And he just isn't projected to be that. Would you trade Pettersson for McDavid? Yes, and that proves the point that McDavid is Generational and Pettersson is not.

Don't talk down to forum members because they are saying you are using a term wrong in a respectable tone.
    I agree the term generational is used loosely but I also think you’re using it incorrectly. How can you say McDavid & Crosby are generational but then say Ovie and Malkin aren’t? It’s rather insane how often people forget Malkin due in part to being overshadowed by Crosby. And Ovi...the greatest pure/raw goal scorer in NHL history not generational!? Lol.

Players like Stamkos/Kuch/Eichel/Marner are a tier below I agree as they’re just very good players but players like them have come and gone lots. Matthews I’d say it’s too early to make a claim but he’s right there in the argument. And again sorry but you’re a bit all over the place by then also saying Jagr isn’t.

...anyways, I didn’t say Pettersson is a generational *player* - at least not yet. Thus why I said generational TALENT because he most certainly is that and has the trajectory/capability/potential to reach being such a player :]

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks13 View Post
    I agree the term generational is used loosely but I also think you’re using it incorrectly. How can you say McDavid & Crosby are generational but then say Ovie and Malkin aren’t? It’s rather insane how often people forget Malkin due in part to being overshadowed by Crosby. And Ovi...the greatest pure/raw goal scorer in NHL history not generational!? Lol.

Players like Stamkos/Kuch/Eichel/Marner are a tier below I agree as they’re just very good players but players like them have come and gone lots. Matthews I’d say it’s too early to make a claim but he’s right there in the argument. And again sorry but you’re a bit all over the place by then also saying Jagr isn’t.

...anyways, I didn’t say Pettersson is a generational *player* - at least not yet. Thus why I said generational TALENT because he most certainly is that and has the trajectory/capability/potential to reach being such a player :]
    I'm not even ready to call McDavid "generational" yet. Whether it be player/talent/whatever because he hasn't proved enough yet. Don't get me wrong, two scoring titles and a Hart trophy are a great start but he needs to lead his team to the gloryland of winning it all before I am labelling him as anything other than a great player.

Let me know when Pettersson gets to McDavids level and has done what he's done and maybe then we can start putting him in the conversation with McDavid.

Once he's passed McDavid and won something significant and lead his team to the gloryland, we can mention the term generational anything with his name. You need to temper your description. Your fandom is oozing a tad too much.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

Pettersson was drafted 5th overall, and didn't start his NHL career until he was almost 20 years old. Lets pump the brakes on generational. No one was calling Barzal generational last season when he put up a PPG season.

To answer the OP's question, yes, it makes sense to move Malkin who you can only keep for 1 more season for Pettersson who you'll be able to keep for 4.
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Dobber Sports Sage

McDavid has the potential to be a generational player but I'm with axe in that you can't crown him yet. Generational is just that, one per generation. Pettersson has a 30 game sample size where he's been really good, or even elite if we must. Generational? Not even close.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Elite going forward? Absolutely, I can see that. Generational I’ll get back to you in 5 years lol, but I don’t see it right now.
    14 Team H2H- Keep 6
    Start 2C,2LW,2RW,4D,2G Daily 16 roster spots
    G,A, +/-, PPP, PIM, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SO

2022/23 Draft Picks:1,1,2,3,4,4,5,5,10,10

Keepers for 2022/23 season:

A.Svechnikov
    Debrincat
    B. Tkachuk
    Raymond
    Batherson
    J.Hughes

Dobber Sports Ace

I do like Pettersson in this format. His value will just go up from here. With only one year left of Malkin, I think I woudl do it. Plus, Malkin can always regress next season, hes getting to that age.

please help with mine, thanks: https://forums.dobbersports.com/show...67#post1951167
    18 Team H2H Dynasty 9x4 cat. Roster 30 + 2 NA, 4 DL. 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,1G,11BN
    Scoring cats are G, A, +\-, PIM, PPP, SHP, FW, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV%, SHO.
    C: Crosby, Horvat, , E. Lindholm (RW), Aho, W. Johnston (RW), Bjugstad,
    LW: Marchand, J. Benn, E. Kane, Fiala, Barbashev (C), Schwartz (C), Namestikov (C)
    RW: M. Tkachuk (LW), JT Miller (C), Batherson, Hyman (LW), Frederic (C), Palmieri
    D: J. Carlson, Josi, Doughty, Pietrangelo, Seider, Gudas, Ekman-Larsson,
    G: Vasilievkiy, Shesterkin, Husso
    NA: Mukhamadullin (D), I. Rosen (RW), D. .Levi (G)
    LTIR: Landeskog (LW), Dach (C)