Thread: Who are my keepers? Who is expendable?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Who are my keepers? Who is expendable?

For the league below, who are my 6 keepers at this point in the season?

Stamkos Hall Eichel Andersen are obvious, leaving the last two spots between Trocheck Larkin Kessel Josi Carlson Chabot.

Shaping up to be a tough decision, though that is a good problem to have. Currently in 1st place, but being hit with some injuries. 6 now maybe 7 injured players (Chabot hurt his hand tonight) and only 4 IR slots

Also doubting that Kovalchuk, Galchenyuk and Provorov will turn it around. Free agency options are pretty thin, but with 7 adds per week it's useful to have streaming spots. How long do I hang on to these guys? Really close to dumping Kovalchuk. He's contributed absolutely nothing to my team all season and the Kings are awful.

I'd appreciate hearing others' opinions.

Thanks in advance!

Yahoo H2H - 10 Teams - Keep 6
    G A PPP PIM SOG FOW HIT BLK
    W SV SV% GAA SO
    3C 3L 3R 1F 5D 1U 3G 5BN 4IR+ 1NA

C Stamkos Eichel Trocheck Larkin J Staal Koivu
    LW Hall Kreider Galchenyuk Kovalchuk Ferland
    RW Palmieri Kessel Stone
    D Josi Carlson Chabot Yandle Edler Petry Provorov Pionk
    G Andersen Talbot Grubauer Lehner

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Re: Who are my keepers? Who is expendable?

Trochek and then one of the D (probably Carlson).

I'd hang onto Provorov a while yet because his stats are good, but would feel no obligation to hold on Galchenyuk or Kovalchuk.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Without +/-:
    5. Thomas Chabot
    6. John Carlson
    7. Dylan Larkin
    8*. Vincent Trocheck

Thomas Chabot is part of the next big TOI minute-munchers with Karlsson out.
    His SOG/HIT/BLK are all for real... those will keep from year-to-year... and even if the points aren't there, this will be.

Carlson is your other.
    Trocheck DOES have big value in FOW/HIT leagues, its true, he was top five in this format in past years.

BUT... Yahoo! really drops players that are injured because their full-season stats aren't there.
    It is likely your leaguemates will forget this and you can just redraft Trocheck in the first round next year.

Chabot & Carlson are currently top three D-men in this format.
    They won't slide in this format if you let them go.

Personally, I'm not sure Taylor Hall is a LOCK.
    I'd much rather have Larkin or Trocheck over Hall... purely for the FOW... even at a 10pt hit.
    With the 1F/1U, this is basically a 5C/3L/3R/5D format.

I'd dangle Taylor Hall and see if anybody is interested.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Dumped Kovalchuk for Kase today! I will hang on to Provorov for a while longer. Seems Philly are mixing things up with lines and pairings. Maybe it will wake him up.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    With the 1F/1U, this is basically a 5C/3L/3R/5D format.

I'd dangle Taylor Hall and see if anybody is interested.
    Seems we think alike regarding the format. I drafted pretty heavily at C and D and had luck with Stone and Palmieri being available in late rounds.

Larkin and Trocheck are indeed both above Hall in the Yahoo season average rankings - however Stamkos is not.

Stamkos could be an option to sell too.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by 65jeff View Post
    Seems we think alike regarding the format. I drafted pretty heavily at C and D and had luck with Stone and Palmieri being available in late rounds.

Larkin and Trocheck are indeed both above Hall in the Yahoo season average rankings - however Stamkos is not.

Stamkos could be an option to sell too.

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Stamkos, though, is wing-eligible in Yahoo!
    So you get FOW from slotting him a wing position.
    THAT works for you. If he was C-only, yeah - maybe less value... but as a winger (with some FOW) he's super-valuable.

Yahoo can't "think" for you about Stamkos' value in a given positional-slot.
    But he really IS MORE VALUABLE if you slot him at wing.

He's playing typically with another center, so he may still have wing-eligibility next Yahoo season too.
    Even if he's not, people will clamor (sp?) enough for him to be C/W that he will at some point next season.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Stamkos, though, is wing-eligible in Yahoo!
    So you get FOW from slotting him a wing position.
    THAT works for you. If he was C-only, yeah - maybe less value... but as a winger (with some FOW) he's super-valuable.

Yahoo can't "think" for you about Stamkos' value in a given positional-slot.
    But he really IS MORE VALUABLE if you slot him at wing.

He's playing typically with another center, so he may still have wing-eligibility next Yahoo season too.
    Even if he's not, people will clamor (sp?) enough for him to be C/W that he will at some point next season.
    Definitely agree with that thought of Stamkos being more valuable than the rankings show if you use him the right way. Allows you to really optimize a lineup.

Also it's spelled clamour up here in Canada
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Thanks for the replies!

Hall currently covers the skater categories better overall and is wing eligible too. This is what the stats say.

What you guys are saying though, I think, is that I can better compete in one category: FOW, and make up the other categories where Hall is better somewhere else. Hall is better in Assists, Shots and Blocks. I could get those from any skater. This makes sense to me, so I hope it is what you meant!

Of course I am starting Stamkos at wing where that is advantageous.

Would you try to trade Hall for someone who is great in this format but underrated (Zibanejad comes to mind) format plus a goalie? I could definitely use a better starter. The Zibanejad owner has Rinne and Price. I wouldn't plan on keeping any of these guys, so this is a depth trade for this season.

The other option is to try to add to Hall to upgrade a keeper, but I think that will likely hurt me this year and I'm definitely good enough to win if I can get healthy. Right now I'm getting hit pretty hard by injuries. Trocheck, J Staal, Koivu, Ferland, Galchenyuk, Kovalchuk (dropped him yesterday for Kase), and now Hall is DTD! I'm still in first place and 8-1 in matchups, though the pack is closing on me because I'm not winning as many cats each week.

Thanks for the opinions! Keep em coming!