LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Raptors' Danny Green says bagged milk in Canada “needs to change”

I don't find it weird at all. It all makes sense to me the benefits of bagged milk.

Lowers the chance of spoilage, cheaper, and if you have 2 fridges, you keep the spare bags in the 2nd fridge and save room in the main fridge.

Honestly find it weird an athlete drinks milk. If you're majorly into health and what not, I'm sure a dietitian or whoever would suggest steering clear of milk.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post

Honestly find it weird an athlete drinks milk. If you're majorly into health and what not, I'm sure a dietitian or whoever would suggest steering clear of milk.
    What nonsense is this? Now milk is bad for you? Since when...I've heard it all now..I really have. Our society is ****ed..
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

The Great One

I work out four or five times a week and drink a whey protein shake mixed with milk after each workout. Milk is terrific for you, if you don't have an allergy, especially for athletes looking for a quick protein source.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Titan

Everyone is technically allergic to milk after a certain age.

Go 2-3 weeks without milk/dairy products and have a glass of milk. It'll put you out of commission for hrs. Trust me on that one, randomly I went about a month maybe 2 without milk and then one day was just feeling it. I thought I ate some bad food. Next day drink a glass of milk again to test it out, same thing, on the toilet. You build up an immunity, it's taken me like 2yrs to build it back up so I can just eat cheese again. The basic thinking is in the animal/mammal world, newborns drink milk, but don't after they are grown, they start drinking water. Give your dog milk and it'll fart for hours. I really didn't think this was crazy thinking...what animal drinks other animals milk?

Also, the benefit of whey protein powder is it lacks dairy I thought. That's why I used it.

And isn't milk a pretty poor source of calcium considering other items out there especially when you take into account fat content. Even if it's healthy for you, I'm just curious if a specifically designed meal plan for an athlete would have milk in it.

For regular people, if you drink it regularly and keep up your immunity, you'll be fine. But for someone who makes their money off their body working at max potential, I was just a little surprised by it. But I'm no expert in the subject. If I'm having a big piece of lasagna, I'll have a couple of digestive enzymes so I don't destroy my GFs bathroom right after.

The Great One

I suppose what you are saying makes sense. I really don't know. I will say, though, that we crazy humans do lots of things with our food that other animals don't (like cook it, cultivate it) so the fact that we drink milk even though other animals don't doesn't really seem strange to me. One might argue that according to nature we were never meant to drink milk. We were meant by nature to cook our food or grow crops?
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports All-Star

So its a lot colder north of the border. Lol. Yup. As soon as you hit that border any where from BC to Nova Scotia, the temprature drops about 20 celcius.
    Also, i've never been late for anything because of bagged milk. You just have to give yourself an extra minute or so or just buy cartons so you dont have to fo go the container store. They are hard to find. Even for us Canadians.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by SeaDawg View Post
    I suppose what you are saying makes sense. I really don't know. I will say, though, that we crazy humans do lots of things with our food that other animals don't (like cook it, cultivate it) so the fact that we drink milk even though other animals don't doesn't really seem strange to me. One might argue that according to nature we were never meant to drink milk. We were meant by nature to cook our food or grow crops?
    Oh yeah, humans are weird with food.

I was 100% lactose intolerant, and I fought my way back to be able to eat cheese just because cheese is amazing. No other animal would willingly, and knowingly, do what I did to just eat cheese (my toilet paper bill skyrocketed, worth it tho)

Dobber Sports Veteran

Here are the steps to solving the puzzle that is Canadian bagged milk:

Place one (1) un-resealable plastic pouch of milk into a container. To reiterate, that’s one (1) container which is ideally a pitcher. Not multiple containers. One container.
    Make a small cut at the corner of the bag.
    Pour.
    Not to worry, Danny.

This thing called life is crazy and we’re all trying to figure it out together. As long as you’re here, we’ll do all that we can to help you understand the best way to extract milk from bags.

Now that’s too funny. Really appreciated the morning laugh with my cereal. Had trouble with the bag though lol
    Yahoo! 10 Team Keep 6, H2H - 1 win
    G, A, SOG, PPP, FOW, H, B, Wins, GAA, Sv%, SHO
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 1Ut, 4D, 3G, 6Bench, 2-I/R+, 1NA

C: Bennett, Couturier, Zacha
    LW: Draisaitl-C, Stutzle-C, Kaprizov, E.Kane
    RW: Marner I/R,T.Thompson-C, Necas-C, Nichushkin
    D: Dahlin, Bouchard, Gudas, Romanov, KA Miller
    G: Vasilevskiy , Skinner, Gustavsson, Woll, Allen
    4 weekly minimum start’s required
    I/R: Sergachev

When I say nothing, I say everything. J.White

Dobber Sports Sage

Is this a central/east coast thing? I've never seen bagged milk growing up in Alberta or in BC as an adult... I also think it's a bit odd just because I've never seen it.

Not here to debate it but I'd be really surprised if most pro athletes drank much milk these days. Milk is designed to get calfs to 400lbs+ as quickly as possible. Not really needed for humans living in a first world county in 2018, there are better options for pro athletes (or anyone) health wise these days.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    Is this a central/east coast thing? I've never seen bagged milk growing up in Alberta or in BC as an adult... I also think it's a bit odd just because I've never seen it.

Not here to debate it but I'd be really surprised if most pro athletes drank much milk these days. Milk is designed to get calfs to 400lbs+ as quickly as possible. Not really needed for humans living in a first world county in 2018, there are better options for pro athletes (or anyone) health wise these days.
    It's a Ontario and east thing.

Dobber Sports Sage

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you drink beer."

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Dobber Sports Demi-God

OMG, this thread. So good.
    But... I had to back-think a bit on this...
    Green says:

“I was almost late today, to practice, because of going to the store, going to the container store, finding containers to put my milk from out of this bag in containers."

OK... wait, wait, wait a second.
    WHY were you going to the store?
    You "needed" a container.

So... it sounds like he HAD some milk already.
    Some of this BAGGED milk. He had it.
    And, I'm assuming it was in his fridge.
    Now did he buy it himself?
    Or did his maid buy it?

But regardless - it is BAGGED milk.
    Like... are you really lifting it out and thinking "Well... I guess I better go to the container store so that I can pour this."

For. Real?

1. If you are going to freak out about it, maybe freak out as soon as you realize you are carrying a big bag of bagged milk.
    2. You CAN cut & pour it without a container. I've done it before. It's not rocket science. Pinch the top center with fingers. Cut top corner. Use both hands and pour carefully.
    3. You are a FREAKING ATHLETE. You make MILLIONS of dollars. Put your effin cup or cereal bowl in the sink. Slit the bag ANYWHERE with scissors. Let some go in your cup or bowl. Let the rest go down the sink.
    Again, you have lots of money. Losing $2 of milk ain't gonna bankrupt you and surely shouldn't make you late for practice.

#ExcusesNobodysBuying

(ps. NBA: Adult body doesn't need milk. World ain't flat. People have been to the moon.)

Oh... and also... Danny's not the first:
    https://larrybrownsports.com/basebal...lk-bags/312848

Dobber Sports Titan

Maybe he bought the milk and was like wtf, and then texted someone who was busy and responded with a pic of the classic milk container?

Most stores have boxed milk anyways now too right? My parents don't drink much milk now and buy the 1L boxes for coffee and such, could have just done that?

Maybe he went out thinking, "oh EVERYWHERE is gonna have these" when in fact, they aren't everywhere. I honestly don't ever remember seeing them in a store. Maybe they are everywhere, but if you have one, they're invisible to you...

Dobber Sports Ninja

An multi-millionaire athlete complaining an inconvenience? Shocker.

I kid. Honestly I feel like for these athletes this has become a bit of a joke to them too. I feel like it must be a tongue-in-cheek kind of thing for lols.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!