Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tablets! Rep

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Tablets! Rep

Hey guys,
    Looking to replace my Ipad 2 64GB cellular which is slow as sh#t now.
    Looking to see if anyone can offer advice what to get.

A lot of refurbished ones at bestbuy so difficult to tell reg prices in comparison.

Thinking Samsung or ACER. ISn't the ipad double the price?

Will use it to surf the web mainly....maybe some games...

Any input would be appreciated.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Tablets! Rep

Or check out the surfaces? I know they're expensive though. I have an older Samsung Galaxy tablet and it's...mehhhh. All the people I know with an iPad (and using there's) say it's much better.

I'm a massive Android fan boy, but I have yet to see an Android option in tablets that's better and cheaper than an iPad.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Veteran

Honestly I'd just upgrade your IPad. I find they operate so smooth and flawlessly, easy access to apps, and the browser works just fine.
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Dobber Sports Star

It really depends where your priorities lie with your tablet. What is your price range? Do you have an Android or IOS preference? Is screen size and weight important to you? And are speaker quality and camera quality important?

Rylant

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    It really depends where your priorities lie with your tablet. What is your price range? Do you have an Android or IOS preference? Is screen size and weight important to you? And are speaker quality and camera quality important?

Rylant
    Price is just a matter of I'd rather pay between $200-300
    But realize I'd likely have to spend more. iOS is nice, frustrated with how slow my iPad2 is at surfing the web and the errors but realize it's old. I have used blackberry android phone tablets etc. Nothing great. Screen size is not super important. Speakers? Meh...would be nice if they are good but not important. Camera...same thing.

A LOT OF PEOPLE say Apple. Smoother etc.

Not sure what to do.

Dobber Sports Star

To be honest, for 200-300 dollars, you may not get a huge improvement in performance over the iPad 2. Personally, I am not a fan of IOS, however, Apple makes the best tablets in the world right now, and it really isn’t close. No question, they make high quality devices, but they are pricey. IOS tends to be easier to use and is more stable than android, but it is far less customizable and is difficult to expand due to lack of USB and microSD cards.

You can get some amazing Android tablets if you can get over the fact that it isn’t going to be as good as an iPad Pro. Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 is amazing, but expensive. It has an awesome display and speakers for music and video.

The Asus ZenPad was initially billed as “Android’s iPad killer”, but I think that is a bit of a stretch. It has a brilliant display and is lightning fast, also with great audio for an awesome multi media experience. Asus is known for its high quality PC components aimed at gaming, such as motherboards and GPUs, so it’s no surprise that this is a great gaming tablet.

Lenovo Tab 4 is a great tablet which is a little more affordable. Its display is good and the camera is decent. A friend of mine bought this tablet in the 10 inch variety for his 9 year old, not wanting to spend a fortune on a tablet for something that is likely to be dropped. It actually is quite a good tablet and very affordable.

Good luck to you. I hope you fine what you need.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    To be honest, for 200-300 dollars, you may not get a huge improvement in performance over the iPad 2. Personally, I am not a fan of IOS, however, Apple makes the best tablets in the world right now, and it really isn’t close. No question, they make high quality devices, but they are pricey. IOS tends to be easier to use and is more stable than android, but it is far less customizable and is difficult to expand due to lack of USB and microSD cards.

You can get some amazing Android tablets if you can get over the fact that it isn’t going to be as good as an iPad Pro. Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 is amazing, but expensive. It has an awesome display and speakers for music and video.

The Asus ZenPad was initially billed as “Android’s iPad killer”, but I think that is a bit of a stretch. It has a brilliant display and is lightning fast, also with great audio for an awesome multi media experience. Asus is known for its high quality PC components aimed at gaming, such as motherboards and GPUs, so it’s no surprise that this is a great gaming tablet.

Lenovo Tab 4 is a great tablet which is a little more affordable. Its display is good and the camera is decent. A friend of mine bought this tablet in the 10 inch variety for his 9 year old, not wanting to spend a fortune on a tablet for something that is likely to be dropped. It actually is quite a good tablet and very affordable.

Good luck to you. I hope you fine what you need.

Rylant
    Hmmm, the Lenovo sounds interesting. Good and fair price is what I'm looking for. Not looking for top of the line kick ass performance now and useless in 5 yrs. Not sure if I mentioned I'd basically want this tablet for sitting on the couch or bed surfing the web or watching videos. Any other pluses would be a bonus! Speakers being better than a playbook would be nice! I'll have to go the stores and see if I can play around on them. Thanks Rylant!

Dobber Sports Demi-God

If the tablet is just for surfing the web & watching videos, the Amazon Fire HD line will be best bang for your buck.
    We have these at our house for our kids.
    They suck a bit for:
    *Overall storage
    *General big-name apps
    *Camera
    But... if you don't need those things, then the screen resolution & wifi works just fine.

$50 for small screen (8")
    $120 for big screen (10")
    https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2413145,00.asp

Dobber Sports All-Star

I just bought the Amazon HD 8 tablet last week and I'm returning it tomorrow. It's complete garbage, hard to use, very small, not very organized and has major issues with auto disconnecting from my wireless router. A lot of the cheaper android devices have a universal problem with disconnecting. In order for me to make it work, I got to downgrade my wireless security and use only a static IP address for this cheap tablet, no thanks. My old ipad4 still runs circles around this thing. Buying an older ipad will still be the safer bet here.
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Genius

So I went to walmart today...while there tried out some of the tabs and learned something about them.
    Samsung Galaxy you can add memory to it, ipad you cannot. The ones on display there, samsung was half the price and finally a sales person that said go samsung!
    I certainly liked the price of the 16GB but I want atleast 32gb so hopefully still under $300. While any of the good recent Ipads are close to $500 and up.

Galaxy A is the more recent...E is the older. Didn't know that either.

Leaning towards staying clear of Ipad simply because of the price and its not that much better.

Dobber Sports Genius

You'll always pay a premium for the Apple name. They make great products, but you absolutely pay extra for the brand. In my opinion, unless you've got piles of paid apps and games that you don't want to have to re-purchase, go for an Android tablet. In my case, I'd get a Samsung. I've been rocking a Samsung Note Pro for years (I needed something large, with a pressure sensitive stylus for drawing), and I love it. My tablet's got 32GB of space, and I added a 64GB card to it.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    You'll always pay a premium for the Apple name. They make great products, but you absolutely pay extra for the brand. In my opinion, unless you've got piles of paid apps and games that you don't want to have to re-purchase, go for an Android tablet. In my case, I'd get a Samsung. I've been rocking a Samsung Note Pro for years (I needed something large, with a pressure sensitive stylus for drawing), and I love it. My tablet's got 32GB of space, and I added a 64GB card to it.
    Oh man, I don't pay for apps. I'm old and don't play many games. So Samsung Galaxy A 32GB? I'm thinking not the biggest one but the step down seems big enough?

The Great One

Not to hijack this thread but can anyone recommend a windows based tablet?

Im considering buying the surface pro (as mentioned above) just not sold on it yet.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guru View Post
    Not to hijack this thread but can anyone recommend a windows based tablet?

Im considering buying the surface pro (as mentioned above) just not sold on it yet.
    Well, I know the NFL players use them on the sidelines, and if they sucked (even if a sponsored piece of equipment) they wouldn't be using them. They'd make a fuss on how it's not fast enough, or always crashing,

I've heard they are what like someone who just uses a laptop casually should be buying as it's a laptop and a tablet. But I dunno.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by ddp View Post
    Oh man, I don't pay for apps. I'm old and don't play many games. So Samsung Galaxy A 32GB? I'm thinking not the biggest one but the step down seems big enough?
    Yeah, that should be great for your needs. As for the size, that just depends on what works for you. I like a large tablet, but some people like something smaller, for more portability, like an 8".