Thread: DoPs - Wilson, Reaves, Hyman

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default DoPs - Wilson, Reaves, Hyman

Maybe someone can clarify how Hyman got a 2 game suspension, meanwhile Wilson and Reaves got zero for their hits. I do agree with the 2 game suspension, but I also believe Wilson, Reaves (Reaves wouldnÂ’t be in the convo if the league did itÂ’s job and rightfully gave Wilson a suspension), and Dumba (mentioned later), should have gotten suspensionÂ’s as well or Hyman shouldnÂ’t have gotten anything.

The explanation from DoPs is that the reason for the suspension is that Hymans hit was late and predatory in nature. Sounds a lot like the Wilson hit on Seney and the Reaves hit on Wilson.

One more example is DumbaÂ’s hit to the head on Backlund. BacklundÂ’s head was the primary point of contact and Dumba didnÂ’t even get a minor penalty let alone a suspension. Yet (and I do understand the suspension) the league only suspends Lomberg.

I am not a Maple Leafs fan, but it seems like DoPs is only suspending the players they feel like. I have little faith that DoPs will make the right call anymore.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: DoPs - Wilson, Reaves, Hyman

Quote Originally Posted by McDeichel View Post
    The explanation from DoPs is that the reason for the suspension is that Hymans hit was late and predatory in nature. Sounds a lot like the Wilson hit on Seney and the Reaves hit on Wilson.
    I don't agree with the suspension but I'm a Leafs and Hyman fan so I could be more objective. The predatory hit explanation comes across as BS though. Wilson's and Reaves' hits were both blindside hits and Reaves had been targeting Wilson all game up to that point. If those (and Wagner's hit on Reilly for that matter) weren't predatory I don't see how Hyman's was. Hyman just followed through on a hit he absolutely should not have and had ample time to ease up on.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

There is a wheel they spin and then they have a blindfolded monkey throw a dart. That's their entire system.

The Great One

Sigh. I didn’t see the Hyman hit. Neither the Reaves or Wilson hits were worthy of suspension. Wilson only got hurt because his helmet wasn’t on correctly. That’s on him. The bigger problem is the officiating. Everything that happened in that Bruins/Leafs game stemmed from the cross check on Marner and the refs didn’t get control of it. If you’re going to be bad at your job then games are going to get out of hand. It’s hockey.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

The Great One

Lomberg's suspension was automatic (1 game for instigating a fight in the last 5 minutes). There is no discretion on that, so that's an easy call.

The Wilson hit is tough because a lot of people think that was incidental contact, and not a deliberate predatory hit. So I can understand that one.

The Reaves hit I thought was equivalent to Hyman. Both late hits. But hit players in vulnerable positions. I don't see what Hyman did that was worse than Reaves. Heck, I wish Reaves could have been suspended for his post-game comments. Nothing rubs me the wrong way more than guys who celebrate after they've injured another player. The NFL knows how to deal with that crap, the NHL doesn't...

I'm flabberghasted on how Dumba escaped justice on his hit on Backlund. He left his feet and targeted the head....

Of course, my observations are all based on watching a single clip once or twice. I didn't review them super close, nor did I listen to the NHL's explanations that are available.

For what it's worth, I have no issue with the Hyman suspension. We need to get that out of the game. But yeah, I would be happier if I understood why Dumba and Reaves didn't receive a similar penalty...

Good post, OP.