Thread: Buy-Low Offer?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Buy-Low Offer?

I received the following offer and was wondering what people thought of it:

His E. Kane + Tarasenko
    for
    My Aho, Rakell, and Nyquist

To me, it looks like someone trying to sell low on two guys who aren't really 'going' just yet, for a trio who are. Tarasenko and Kane were drafted in rounds 3 and 4 in this league, whereas Rakell and Aho were drafted in round 5 and 7 (and Nyqvist was a WW pickup). So all of the risk/reward in this would be on me.

Anyway, any thoughts on this one? For details on my league and team, see below.

League details:

The league is roto, 12 GMs, standard Yahoo categories (G, A, PPP, +/-, HIT, SOG, W, SV, GAA). I'm in 2nd right now, with 74 / 96 points, just 2 points out of first.

Team details:

My team is performing well, earning 8 or more points in 7 of 9 categories. My weak points are HIT (2 / 11) and plus/minus (5 / 11). I'm a little banged up with a recent spate of injuries to Duchene, Lehner, Forsberg, and Rakell, so you can ignore a few recent WW pickups I made to plug some holes, but overall my team looks like this:

C: Seguin, Backstrom, Duchene (IR), White, Tierney, Coleman (LW)
    LW: Forsberg (IR), Rakell (C, RW), Aho (C, RW), Huberdeau, Nyqvist (RW)
    RW: Atkinson, Brown, Dzingel (LW), Coyle (C), Pominville
    D: Dumba, Yandle, Gardiner, Suter, Hanafin, Matheson, Oleksiak
    G: Hellebuych, Gibson, Greiss, Lehner (IR)
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

C: Draisaitl* (LW), Dubois, Nelson
    LW: Svechnikov* (RW), Hagel
    RW: Kucherov*, Tarasenko, Wilson, Stone, Laine, Reinhart, P. Kane (IR)
    D: Fox*, Karlsson*, Chabot (IR), Faulk, Martinez
    G:: Vasilevskiy*, Vanecek, Adin, Knight (IR)

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Buy-Low Offer?

I'm always nervous being the first one to make a suggestion... my fantasy hockey knowledge is still growing.

Personally, I think you've gotta accept this. Your league counts hits and shots and E. Kane and Tarasenko are monster peripheral guys... so even on nights where the points are coming, you'll likely get a ton of peripheral points from them. Plus which teams these guys play for and their offensive potential can't be ignored. SJS, STL (will start scoring!) >>> CAR, ANA, DET.

Anyways, just my two cents... hopefully I'm not way off. Lol
    Yahoo, H2H Categories, 1 Year, 12 Teams
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 4BN

Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO

The Great One

Wish I could pipe in, but I never play roto leagues. What I will say is that instead of declining this outright, I look to see if there is a counter offer to be had. He's dangling some good bait...

Dobber Sports Titan

It's a pretty solid offer. My biggest question is who would you replace the last slot with (as an FA?). Can you address another need there, or is there a guy on the OGM's team that you could add on to fill one of your holes?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Good point. It probably does warrant a sniff around, if nothin else.
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    It's a pretty solid offer. My biggest question is who would you replace the last slot with (as an FA?). Can you address another need there, or is there a guy on the OGM's team that you could add on to fill one of your holes?
    Right now, his offers shows him dropping Jordan Staal. So I could take him back, or sniff around for some other player on his cut list, or just work the WW. Right now, I have at least one play on the IR who will take up a spot soon enough (Lehner), as well as Duchene and Forsberg probably each 2-3 weeks behind. At some point, I will have to shed a few guys like Tierney, White, Pominville, and/or Coyle.
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

I personally wouldn't bite. Evander Kane and Rakell (when he gets going) are a wash. Rakell is no peripheral slouch either, and you don't even count Evander Kane's PIMs.

Tarasenko for Aho and Nyquist then, and that depends on if you believe in Aho sustaining this breakout. If he does, those two are almost a wash averages wise, and it's not worth losing Nyquist who is going to be great at least until Mantha is back and likely longer since he's looking for a payday. Unless there's something great sitting in FA, I vote hold.
    Yahoo One Year League, Weekly H2H Category
    Start: 3C/3LW/3RW/5D/2G
    Categories: G/A/P/PPP/+-/SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK; GS/W/SV%/SO

C: Zibanejad Suzuki Jenner Couturier
    LW: Kaprizov KConnor Pacioretty Huberdeau
    RW: Pastrnak Debrincat Rakell Lafreniere
    D: Josi Werenski Theodore Weegar Nurse Martinez Romanov
    G: Vasilevskiy Daccord Lyon
    IR+: Bedard

Quote Originally Posted by insertnamehere View Post
    I personally wouldn't bite. Evander Kane and Rakell (when he gets going) are a wash. Rakell is no peripheral slouch either, and you don't even count Evander Kane's PIMs.

Tarasenko for Aho and Nyquist then, and that depends on if you believe in Aho sustaining this breakout. If he does, those two are almost a wash averages wise, and it's not worth losing Nyquist who is going to be great at least until Mantha is back and likely longer since he's looking for a payday. Unless there's something great sitting in FA, I vote hold.
    That's a great point -- thanks for this. A part of me was thinking 'you have to do this, no?' while the other part of me was thinking, 'my team is doing well and I'm concerned that these two players will hurt me at A and PPP without adding much for me at G, HIT, and SOG'. I think you're right, that Rakell and Kane are a wash (in fact, that Rakell might be the better bet, given Kane's injury history). Meanwhile, I own Tarasenko in my keeper, and I figured he was in for a down year this year after that shoulder surgery, and that's not even counting for the mess that's going on in STL right now.
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

Is this crazy as a counter?

Seguin
    Rakell
    Aho

for

Ovechkin
    Tarasenko
    Kane
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

That counter is certifiably absurd, yes. That might net you Ovechkin and Tarasenko at absolute best.
    Yahoo One Year League, Weekly H2H Category
    Start: 3C/3LW/3RW/5D/2G
    Categories: G/A/P/PPP/+-/SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK; GS/W/SV%/SO

C: Zibanejad Suzuki Jenner Couturier
    LW: Kaprizov KConnor Pacioretty Huberdeau
    RW: Pastrnak Debrincat Rakell Lafreniere
    D: Josi Werenski Theodore Weegar Nurse Martinez Romanov
    G: Vasilevskiy Daccord Lyon
    IR+: Bedard