Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Pop ups blocking my posts

I...am your father.

Default Re: Pop ups blocking my posts

Aw man. These floater ads at the bottom of the screen are awesome - they don't intrude (on PC - please tell me your device, if you have a problem with them) and I can navigate websites just fine with them. And for the first time in six years, I am actually getting ad revenue again.

Please, if an ad interferes with a post or anything you click - give me a screenshot at [email protected] and tell me the device that you are using. Attached is what I see, which is great - on my PC this stays at the bottom, yet I can read all the content, and I can click any link or button. The perfect ad - not a pop up, and not buried to places people never scroll to. Finally, some revenue!Capture.jpg

I don't even notice it anymore. It's on Frozen Pool which I'm at a lot and it is on lots of sites now.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    Reminds me of the very annoying ads with sound. I remember Dobber went to great lengths to keep those of this site because he knew how annoying they were for users. I'm wondering if he has any idea how annoying these pops up are. If he's not, I suspect he will find out as everyone turns there ad blockers back on...
    Ad block detecting software will soon prevent you from doing this. At first we'll ask nicely, and later we'll insist (if asking doesn't work). Just being honest. If the ads aren't interfering or making noise, they are here to stay. But I will work with you to ensure that on all devices they don't interfere. I don't have popups, I don't have sound, and don't have pop-unders. These "floating ads" are great on my PC, lap top and tablet. On my phone I don't see the ad at all. As far as I'm concerned, these little banners that float on the bottom are the least intrusive ads I've ever seen and I don't know why they weren't invented sooner. If they cover content, just scroll a bit! They stay at the bottom and out of the way. And on top of this - there's an X that gets rid of it if it bothers you! lol

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

The Great One

I'm just curious what you mean by "Ad blocking software will soon prevent you from doing this." Doing what? Preventing what?

While I sympathize for your need to generate revenue (I really do!), we will have to agree to disagree on just how annoying these banners are. They are designed to cover content and force you to scroll around them. I will turn them off if I can. And if I can't, I'll just re-asses at that point. I'd rather pay a small sum for ad-free content than have to deal close a box every single time I open content...(And this is coming from someone who deliberately whitelisted your site in the past, because, again - I get you need ad revenue). Charge me more in your keeper pack for ad-free....that I'd probably go for. (No idea if it's technically feasible or if there is a business case for it. I guess that's why I don't run web sites, haha). Anyways, my attempt at constructive criticism

The Great One

Also, for whatever it's worth - I can live with the ad at the top of the screen. And I can live with the ad on the right hand side, near the first post. But that f**cking ad at the bottom of my screen drives me up the wall. I hate it.

I...am your father.

I'm just curious what you mean by "Ad blocking software will soon prevent you from doing this." Doing what? Preventing what?
    Happy to clarify. As you can see in Frozen Tools and Goalie Post, there is a banner that appears in the ad spot that says "it appears you have ad blocking software on. Please support the site by turning it off". Hopefully that does the trick. The next step is to do what sites such as Pittsburgh Tribune, Hockey Buzz and hundreds of newspaper sites do - have a screen covered notice insisting that it be turned off or you won't have access. That's the nuclear option, I don't think we'll have to go there because these floater ads really save the day. I barely notice them now.

While I sympathize for your need to generate revenue (I really do!), we will have to agree to disagree on just how annoying these banners are. They are designed to cover content and force you to scroll around them.
    "scroll around" seems like the wrong wording. As you scroll down, they remain at the bottom. Almost as if the bottom of your screen just has a thicker launchbar. You're scrolling down anyway to read the next post, this isn't changing my navigation at all that's why I love these ad types so much.

I will turn them off if I can. And if I can't, I'll just re-asses at that point. I'd rather pay a small sum for ad-free content than have to deal close a box every single time I open content...(And this is coming from someone who deliberately whitelisted your site in the past, because, again - I get you need ad revenue).
    Awesome suggestion - I would do this before forcing the ads on you. Offer up $9.99/year for ad free forum use. Whitelisting my site, while I appreciate it, in the past wasn't given me anything. An entire year of you visiting with the ads whitelisted was giving me a dollar, maybe two. This change makes that 10 or 12 bucks per year (estimates).

Charge me more in your keeper pack for ad-free....that I'd probably go for. (No idea if it's technically feasible or if there is a business case for it. I guess that's why I don't run web sites, haha). Anyways, my attempt at constructive criticism
    I wouldn't do that, but I like your other thought - a Premium Forum option. Not many would choose it, but those who get annoyed by the thin strip of an ad that floats at the bottom would appreciate it. Again, I would only do this if I had to force ad blockers off, which is like a 10% chance.

I...am your father.

Also, for whatever it's worth - I can live with the ad at the top of the screen. And I can live with the ad on the right hand side, near the first post. But that f**cking ad at the bottom of my screen drives me up the wall. I hate it.
    I didn't know my ad guy added the right-side ad. This is news to me, and it annoys me lol - we really are on opposite sides of what annoys and what doesn't. I may get rid of that right side one, pending feedback.

The Great One

The reason the one on the bottom is SO ANNOYING to me is because it interferes with my ability to write comments on your forum. Sometime it won't let submit a response until I close that F*cking annoying box! It's just rubbing it in my face, as far as I'm concerned.

Also, just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting you increase the price of your keeper pack for everyone. I was suggesting you add an optional buy for free ads on top of your keeper package. And I suggest this because most humans, like me, are lazy. The most likely time I'd consider buying an "ad free experience" is when i'm already pulling out my credit card to buy something I want ASAP (i.e. the keeper pack).

Edit: I'd also be interested in hearing feedback re: the bottom thing versus the side ad. As far as I've seen, not a single person in this thread has mentioned an issue with the side ad. Everyone is complaining about the bottom floating ad, which DOES interfere with interacting on this site (which, in turn, diminishes the user experience, IMO). (And this isn't meant to put you down, but rather to give you feedback. I'm assuming I'm not the only one turning my ad blocker on in response to this, and I just want you to know why I've done this).

Dobber Sports Star

I'm with als_revenge on this one. I mean, do what you gotta do, but I HATE that bottom ad.

I think the reason I hate it is that it exists in front of the content instead of next to it. It doesn't just reduce the functional area of the site - it actually blocks it! It's just a pop-up that doesn't pop-up...

Dobber Sports Titan

The reason the one on the bottom is SO ANNOYING to me is because it interferes with my ability to write comments on your forum. Sometime it won't let submit a response until I close that F*cking annoying box! It's just rubbing it in my face, as far as I'm concerned.
    It only doesn't let you submit if your submit button is actually behind the ad (in the bottom 5% of the page).
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I'm with als_revenge on this one. I mean, do what you gotta do, but I HATE that bottom ad.

I think the reason I hate it is that it exists in front of the content instead of next to it. It doesn't just reduce the functional area of the site - it actually blocks it! It's just a pop-up that doesn't pop-up...
    So flicking your index finger downward a tiny bit on your scroller doesn't slide the content it blocks above it so it no longer blocks? If that's not the case let me know.
    I haven't closed the ad yet, I'm fine with it. Now I'm just gonna flick the ol' finger to get the 'post quick reply' button to appear and...

I...am your father.

if this ever happens, let me know. But flick the scroller downwards a bit and the button should appear just fine. I would not champion this ad spot if it ever (EVER!) compromises posting. It would immediately be removed.

Also, just to be clear, I wasn't suggesting you increase the price of your keeper pack for everyone. I was suggesting you add an optional buy for free ads on top of your keeper package. And I suggest this because most humans, like me, are lazy. The most likely time I'd consider buying an "ad free experience" is when i'm already pulling out my credit card to buy something I want ASAP (i.e. the keeper pack).
    I know.

Edit: I'd also be interested in hearing feedback re: the bottom thing versus the side ad. As far as I've seen, not a single person in this thread has mentioned an issue with the side ad. Everyone is complaining about the bottom floating ad, which DOES interfere with interacting on this site (which, in turn, diminishes the user experience, IMO). (And this isn't meant to put you down, but rather to give you feedback. I'm assuming I'm not the only one turning my ad blocker on in response to this, and I just want you to know why I've done this).
    Thank you. I haven't seen any complaints about the upper ad either, it just caught me off guard because my ad guy didn't mention it was going there.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I didn't know my ad guy added the right-side ad. This is news to me, and it annoys me lol - we really are on opposite sides of what annoys and what doesn't. I may get rid of that right side one, pending feedback.
    Dont mind the bottom add, don't even notice it because I'm always scrolling down anyway.

HATE the right side add. I'm always on a phone (galaxy s9) and that add leaves like 5-10 words per sentence and I just find the paragraph way too narrow and annoying to read.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

The Wolverine

My concern isn't just for selfish reasons (i.e. gets in the way), it's also for people who are new or occasional visitors to the site. I know when I go to other sites and whenever there are ads (pop up, etc) that get in the way - well I don't revisit those sites very often. You may think just scrolling down is the easy solution, but for others people will just get fed up and not bother (re)visiting. Users like us, who are on here regularly, are giving you this constructive feedback because we care about the site. It really detracts from the user experience (my opinion, of course), even if it's just a scroll down. It's not laziness for me, as I do scroll down. But I do feel it makes the site appear less professional.

I understand your need for ad revenue - I'm not questioning that. But it's the method you're using that concerns me.

Also, as you asked, it's more in the way on a smaller screen (I have a kindle).

Dobber Sports Immortal

Thanks for responding to this Dobber.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Honestly I don't find them THAT big of an issue. The ad on the right side is only on the top comment of the page (It doesn't follow your page down like some of the other annoying ones). As for the bottom one, it's in the way, but I noticed them popping up probably 3 weeks ago ish and since then It's just become a habit to close it as soon as the page opens so it doesn't really bother me at this point.
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby