Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Pop ups blocking my posts

I...am your father.

Default Re: Pop ups blocking my posts

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    Dont mind the bottom add, don't even notice it because I'm always scrolling down anyway.

HATE the right side add. I'm always on a phone (galaxy s9) and that add leaves like 5-10 words per sentence and I just find the paragraph way too narrow and annoying to read.
    Okay, I will definitely remove that one for mobile devices. Thanks for the feedback
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    My concern isn't just for selfish reasons (i.e. gets in the way), it's also for people who are new or occasional visitors to the site. I know when I go to other sites and whenever there are ads (pop up, etc) that get in the way - well I don't revisit those sites very often. You may think just scrolling down is the easy solution, but for others people will just get fed up and not bother (re)visiting. Users like us, who are on here regularly, are giving you this constructive feedback because we care about the site. It really detracts from the user experience (my opinion, of course), even if it's just a scroll down. It's not laziness for me, as I do scroll down. But I do feel it makes the site appear less professional.

I understand your need for ad revenue - I'm not questioning that. But it's the method you're using that concerns me.

Also, as you asked, it's more in the way on a smaller screen (I have a kindle).
    I love my kindle! You access using the kindle? I never even considered that. Do you like it?

I disagree with lack of professionalism - the major sites have this now, or will soon. Unless they have a paywall. it will all be second nature this time next year imo

My iPhone doesn't have the bottom ad show up at all. Maybe it's blocking them I dunno, but I'm guessing that the smallest devices don't have these
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

The Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I love my kindle! You access using the kindle? I never even considered that. Do you like it?

I disagree with lack of professionalism - the major sites have this now, or will soon. Unless they have a paywall. it will all be second nature this time next year imo

My iPhone doesn't have the bottom ad show up at all. Maybe it's blocking them I dunno, but I'm guessing that the smallest devices don't have these
    I find many modern sites unprofessional, but that's a whole other discussion.

Generally, I don't like browsing on smaller screens (don't even have a smart phone), but the kindle is convenient when I can't be bothered getting out my laptop or when I'm away from home. I find the bottom ad appears more prominently (not just the 'x') when I'm on the kindle, which takes up more space, which makes it more fiddly when trying to click on links/page numbers etc. or make sure I have space to type replies. Even though it's a smaller screen, it takes up more of the bottom (width-wise) relative to the size of the screen compared to when I'm on my work PC (haven't been on my laptop for awhile so can't compare to that yet).

Regardless of the outcome(s), I appreciate you looking into this, Dobber.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I don't mind the bottom ad (mostly because I have it blocked and all I see is a floating X).

Guys it's a free site. Darryl needs to make a living. Get over it. I've seen much worse ads...

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I don't mind the bottom ad (mostly because I have it blocked and all I see is a floating X).

Guys it's a free site. Darryl needs to make a living. Get over it. I've seen much worse ads...
    Wait, but you're using an ad-blocker ...

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post

It's called feedback, and any business owner should appreciate and welcome it.

It is pretty ironic that you recognize his need for ad revenue but you block the ads yourself. The site is "free" for those who use adblockers only because the one's who don't are effectively paying for your portion for you. You're welcome.

The Wolverine

This is how it looks on my kindle:

Dobber Sports Immortal

Guys...I was just wondering if any one else was experiencing the ads. I haven't been as active lately so I wasn't sure. I didn't mean for this to turn into a whole thing....but I do appreciate Dobber coming and explaining the work arounds.

I'm in full support of Dobber making ad revenue.

Dobber Sports All-Star

[QUOTE=horrorfan;1949648]This is how it looks on my kindle:

Same here. I'm fine with it if its revenue for the site.

Dobber Sports All-Star

I really don't mind most of the ads and like I said, it's fine with me if it means revenue for the site, but I have to say that I don't agree with the Ashley Madison ads. Sorry Dobber, (edit) but that seems morally irresponsible.

The Wolverine

This is how it looks on my kindle:

Is there any way to make the ads less prominent on smaller devices? It's really irritating on my kindle as it takes up so much space (see above). Especially when you try to post in a thread, the text box would take up a good chunk of the space (as expected) but the ad still is full size. I rarely post when I'm on the kindle because of this reason.

The Great One

Is there any way to make the ads less prominent on smaller devices? It's really irritating on my kindle as it takes up so much space (see above). Especially when you try to post in a thread, the text box would take up a good chunk of the space (as expected) but the ad still is full size. I rarely post when I'm on the kindle because of this reason.
    unfortunately, i'd say an adblocker is your best bet. I never used on here until the bottom floaty ad showed up. I just can't deal with how annoying that ad is...

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The bottom floating ad will change into a gray box with a black x in it with AdBlockPlus. It still sometimes requires a click from me to post successfully, but that ad is so awful it means no ads will be seen by me on this site.

I really hate floating ads, as they are super distracting when trying to read anythign of length and they keep moving and getting in the way.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.