Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 31 to 43 of 43

Thread: Pop ups blocking my posts

  1. #31
    Location
    Pickering
    Rep Power
    40

    I...am your father.

    Default Re: Pop ups blocking my posts

    Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    Dont mind the bottom add, don't even notice it because I'm always scrolling down anyway.

    HATE the right side add. I'm always on a phone (galaxy s9) and that add leaves like 5-10 words per sentence and I just find the paragraph way too narrow and annoying to read.
    Okay, I will definitely remove that one for mobile devices. Thanks for the feedback
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

    15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

    F - Crosby, Atkinson, Granlund, Marchand, Silfverberg, Scheifele, Sheary, Aston-Reese, Ehlers, Bonino, Abramov, Kreider, Haula, Pageau, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Anderson-Dolan
    G - Bobrovsky, Talbot, Pickard, Brossoit, Petersen, Montembeault
    D - Yandle, Trouba, Letang, Pulock, T. Myers, Vlasic, Morrissey, Beaulieu, Schmaltz

  2. #32
    Location
    Pickering
    Rep Power
    40

    I...am your father.

    Default Re: Pop ups blocking my posts

    Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    My concern isn't just for selfish reasons (i.e. gets in the way), it's also for people who are new or occasional visitors to the site. I know when I go to other sites and whenever there are ads (pop up, etc) that get in the way - well I don't revisit those sites very often. You may think just scrolling down is the easy solution, but for others people will just get fed up and not bother (re)visiting. Users like us, who are on here regularly, are giving you this constructive feedback because we care about the site. It really detracts from the user experience (my opinion, of course), even if it's just a scroll down. It's not laziness for me, as I do scroll down. But I do feel it makes the site appear less professional.

    I understand your need for ad revenue - I'm not questioning that. But it's the method you're using that concerns me.

    Also, as you asked, it's more in the way on a smaller screen (I have a kindle).
    I love my kindle! You access using the kindle? I never even considered that. Do you like it?

    I disagree with lack of professionalism - the major sites have this now, or will soon. Unless they have a paywall. it will all be second nature this time next year imo

    My iPhone doesn't have the bottom ad show up at all. Maybe it's blocking them I dunno, but I'm guessing that the smallest devices don't have these
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

    15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

    F - Crosby, Atkinson, Granlund, Marchand, Silfverberg, Scheifele, Sheary, Aston-Reese, Ehlers, Bonino, Abramov, Kreider, Haula, Pageau, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Anderson-Dolan
    G - Bobrovsky, Talbot, Pickard, Brossoit, Petersen, Montembeault
    D - Yandle, Trouba, Letang, Pulock, T. Myers, Vlasic, Morrissey, Beaulieu, Schmaltz

  3. #33
    horrorfan's Avatar
    horrorfan is online now
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    10,944
    Location
    Scotland
    Rep Power
    40

    Moderator

    Default Re: Pop ups blocking my posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I love my kindle! You access using the kindle? I never even considered that. Do you like it?

    I disagree with lack of professionalism - the major sites have this now, or will soon. Unless they have a paywall. it will all be second nature this time next year imo

    My iPhone doesn't have the bottom ad show up at all. Maybe it's blocking them I dunno, but I'm guessing that the smallest devices don't have these
    I find many modern sites unprofessional, but that's a whole other discussion.

    Generally, I don't like browsing on smaller screens (don't even have a smart phone), but the kindle is convenient when I can't be bothered getting out my laptop or when I'm away from home. I find the bottom ad appears more prominently (not just the 'x') when I'm on the kindle, which takes up more space, which makes it more fiddly when trying to click on links/page numbers etc. or make sure I have space to type replies. Even though it's a smaller screen, it takes up more of the bottom (width-wise) relative to the size of the screen compared to when I'm on my work PC (haven't been on my laptop for awhile so can't compare to that yet).

    Regardless of the outcome(s), I appreciate you looking into this, Dobber.
    Dobber Tiered Invitational 2018/19
    Smythe Norris Patrick Adams Campbell Wales Stanley

  4. #34
    blayze's Avatar
    blayze is online now
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    13,708
    Location
    Toronto
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Grand Master

    Default Re: Pop ups blocking my posts

    I don't mind the bottom ad (mostly because I have it blocked and all I see is a floating X).

    Guys it's a free site. Darryl needs to make a living. Get over it. I've seen much worse ads...

  5. #35
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Ninja

    Default Re: Pop ups blocking my posts

    Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I don't mind the bottom ad (mostly because I have it blocked and all I see is a floating X).

    Guys it's a free site. Darryl needs to make a living. Get over it. I've seen much worse ads...
    Wait, but you're using an ad-blocker ...

  6. #36
    forumname's Avatar
    forumname is online now
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,961
    Location
    Victoria
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Veteran

    Default Re: Pop ups blocking my posts

    Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    I don't mind the bottom ad (mostly because I have it blocked and all I see is a floating X).

    Guys it's a free site. Darryl needs to make a living. Get over it. I've seen much worse ads...
    It's called feedback, and any business owner should appreciate and welcome it.

    It is pretty ironic that you recognize his need for ad revenue but you block the ads yourself. The site is "free" for those who use adblockers only because the one's who don't are effectively paying for your portion for you. You're welcome.

  7. #37
    horrorfan's Avatar
    horrorfan is online now
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    10,944
    Location
    Scotland
    Rep Power
    40

    Moderator

    Default Re: Pop ups blocking my posts

    This is how it looks on my kindle:

    Dobber Tiered Invitational 2018/19
    Smythe Norris Patrick Adams Campbell Wales Stanley

  8. #38
    Rep Power
    40

    Dobber Sports Ninja

    Default Re: Pop ups blocking my posts

    Guys...I was just wondering if any one else was experiencing the ads. I haven't been as active lately so I wasn't sure. I didn't mean for this to turn into a whole thing....but I do appreciate Dobber coming and explaining the work arounds.

    I'm in full support of Dobber making ad revenue.

  9. #39
    Godin's Avatar
    Godin is online now
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,230
    Location
    GTA
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Genius

    Default Re: Pop ups blocking my posts

    [QUOTE=horrorfan;1949648]This is how it looks on my kindle:


    Same here. I'm fine with it if its revenue for the site.

  10. #40
    Godin's Avatar
    Godin is online now
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    4,230
    Location
    GTA
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Genius

    Default Re: Pop ups blocking my posts

    I really don't mind most of the ads and like I said, it's fine with me if it means revenue for the site, but I have to say that I don't agree with the Ashley Madison ads. Sorry Dobber, (edit) but that seems morally irresponsible.

  11. #41
    horrorfan's Avatar
    horrorfan is online now
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    10,944
    Location
    Scotland
    Rep Power
    40

    Moderator

    Default Re: Pop ups blocking my posts

    Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    This is how it looks on my kindle:

    Is there any way to make the ads less prominent on smaller devices? It's really irritating on my kindle as it takes up so much space (see above). Especially when you try to post in a thread, the text box would take up a good chunk of the space (as expected) but the ad still is full size. I rarely post when I'm on the kindle because of this reason.
    Dobber Tiered Invitational 2018/19
    Smythe Norris Patrick Adams Campbell Wales Stanley

  12. #42
    Location
    Ottawa
    Rep Power
    50

    Dobber Sports Guru

    Default Re: Pop ups blocking my posts

    Quote Originally Posted by horrorfan View Post
    Is there any way to make the ads less prominent on smaller devices? It's really irritating on my kindle as it takes up so much space (see above). Especially when you try to post in a thread, the text box would take up a good chunk of the space (as expected) but the ad still is full size. I rarely post when I'm on the kindle because of this reason.
    unfortunately, i'd say an adblocker is your best bet. I never used on here until the bottom floaty ad showed up. I just can't deal with how annoying that ad is...

  13. #43
    stevegamer's Avatar
    stevegamer is online now
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    3,598
    Location
    Philadelphia area
    Rep Power
    48

    Dobber Sports Star

    Default Re: Pop ups blocking my posts

    The bottom floating ad will change into a gray box with a black x in it with AdBlockPlus. It still sometimes requires a click from me to post successfully, but that ad is so awful it means no ads will be seen by me on this site.

    I really hate floating ads, as they are super distracting when trying to read anythign of length and they keep moving and getting in the way.
    10 team Head-to-head true dynasty. Roster 33, draft 2, cut down before season. Start 1 G, 1-2 backup G's, 6 D, 12 F arranged in 4 lines of 3. Only categories that matter are Goals, Assists, Save% with a shutout bonus. Having NHL teammates helps.

    G: F Andersen
    Backup G: Holtby
    D: Gardiner, M Reilly, Carlson, Gustafsson, Klingberg, Letang,
    F1: Couturier, Giroux, MacKinnon
    F2: Schiefele, Wheeler, Tuch
    F3: Benn, Seguin, Pavelski
    F4: Point, Stamkos, Tavares

    Bench:
    G: (none)
    D: Ekman-Larsson,Gostisbehere, Werenski
    F: Bailey, Guentzel, Killorn, Labanc, JT Miller, Voracek,
    F: Duclair, Necas, Simon, Sprong,

    Reserve: Datsyuk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •