Thread: Huge Goalie problem; desperately need help before I do something impulsive and stupid (WILL REP)

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default Huge Goalie problem; desperately need help before I do something impulsive and stupid (WILL REP)

Sorry, gonna be a long one.

My goalies are Quick, Koskinen, and Raanta. Quick is terrible and is a band aid boy, Koskinen is slowly losing his spot to Talbot, and Raanta is now week to week, so call it a possible January 1st return. I currently have one viable goaltender in Quick, and need a minimum 3 GS per week or I lose all 4 categories. I don't have the moves to spot start goalies, so I have to trade for a goalie, or pick up a goalie, where the waiver wire is thin.

The only goalies in free agency potentially worth a grab (Adin Hill has been picked up):

Petersen (handcuff to Quick)
    Lehner (injured)
    Mrazek (can he push McElhinny away? He's terrible)
    Kuemper (injured)

Trade offers:
    Wheeler or Scheifele for Erik Karlsson and one of Luongo or Anderson: Luongo is an injury risk; Ottawa just lost key players and Anderson is bad.
    Raanta for Mike Smith: This isn't a guarantee, the GM is considering it.
    Raanta + a forward for Crawford: Injury risk and Chicago is bad; I'm trying to downgrade forward to Athanasiou or Byron, but have a feeling it'll be Drouin or Palmieri or worse.

What do I do?
    Hold Koskinen and hope?
    Trade Wheeler for EK and Anderson or Luongo? Trade Raanta for Mike Smith (if available)? Raanta and forward for Crawford?
    Pick up Mrazek? He can't be worse than Anderson or Luongo, right?
    Pick up Petersen as a handcuff? LA has enough 3-4 games per week until the final week of the year but are so, so bad.

I know this is a lot to read and there are a lot of variables to consider, but please, please help me. My season is about to sink. I'm already losing 9-3 this week, and although I'm in 4th of 12, the point gap isn't very large.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!
    Yahoo One Year League, Weekly H2H Category
    Start: 3C/3LW/3RW/5D/2G
    Categories: G/A/P/PPP/+-/SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK; GS/W/SV%/SO

C: Zibanejad Suzuki Jenner Couturier
    LW: Kaprizov KConnor Pacioretty Huberdeau
    RW: Pastrnak Debrincat Rakell Lafreniere
    D: Josi Werenski Theodore Weegar Nurse Martinez Romanov
    G: Vasilevskiy Daccord Lyon
    IR+: Bedard

Default Re: Huge Goalie problem; desperately need help before I do something impulsive and stupid (WILL REP)

It seems to be that you have two goalie problems:
    1. Getting to three starts a week over the next three periods (or so) before Raanta comes back. I actually feel confident that between Quick and Koskinen you will have little problem getting those 3. But if you want to pick up Mrazek for insurance (McElhinny missed the game last night) you could do that. However, that would come at the cost of a skater (I'm guessing that you only have the one IR slot, and that injuries are hurting your team right now), but if you are setting starters for the week and not daily that should be fine (although you burn another move).
    2. Your goalies aren't great. That's true. But I don't like any of these trades. Cost is just too high.

If it was me, I'd probably hold but keep an eye on Mrazek and Lehner when he comes back. It's not time to panic yet.

Default Re: Huge Goalie problem; desperately need help before I do something impulsive and stupid (WILL REP)

Quote Originally Posted by Swels Stewart View Post
    It seems to be that you have two goalie problems:
    1. Getting to three starts a week over the next three periods (or so) before Raanta comes back. I actually feel confident that between Quick and Koskinen you will have little problem getting those 3. But if you want to pick up Mrazek for insurance (McElhinny missed the game last night) you could do that. However, that would come at the cost of a skater (I'm guessing that you only have the one IR slot, and that injuries are hurting your team right now), but if you are setting starters for the week and not daily that should be fine (although you burn another move).
    2. Your goalies aren't great. That's true. But I don't like any of these trades. Cost is just too high.

If it was me, I'd probably hold but keep an eye on Mrazek and Lehner when he comes back. It's not time to panic yet.
    Thank you, much appreciated

Injuries are absolutely burying my team right now. I've had at least 3 players injured for the entirety of the season with just the one IR slot. We set daily lines and I'm already losing huge amounts of games, so the loss of a skater and subsequent pickup would hurt. That's why part of my thinks the EK65 trade might work (he has a long way to go but the last few games he's looking good again).

The Crawford trade ended up being Craig Smith and Crawford for Granlund and Raanta, which I rejected.

Mrazek would be ideal but I was already burned by Darling this year, and no one should be proud of winning games against Anaheim or LA.

Dobber Sports Deity

I don't really like any of those deals or pick ups either. If the other GM will do Smith for Raanta, I'd do that at this point.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I don't really like any of those deals or pick ups either. If the other GM will do Smith for Raanta, I'd do that at this point.
    I agree with Axe here. I don't mind the Raanta for Smith deal. Being a Raanta owner myself, I'd likely pull the trigger on that if the other GM was interested as well.
    Yahoo, H2H Categories, 1 Year, 12 Teams
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 4BN

Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO

The Great One

I would pick up Petersen to get the Kings handcuff. LA generally plays 3 games a week so you will get your 3 starts; Koskinen starts are a bonus.

Jack Campbell will be out awhile yet still. But the time he is healthy, Raanta should be back.

It's really too bad you missed the claim on Hill, but I don't really like any of the trades for you....

The only trades available are:

Crawford and Stastny for Raanta and Drouin
    Crawford and Craig Smith for Raanta and Mikael Granlund
    Koskinen for Domingue

Not great.

Dobber Sports Pro

Both Crawford and Mrazec are better than they have been playing. I would not trade Raanta, as I believe he is your best goalie when healthy. Get Crow or Mrazek. Koskinen is hot maybe a sell high?
    HTH Daily League, 8 teams, (goals, ppp, +/-, assists, SOG, W, GAA, SV%) keepers in Bold.

C (s3) EP40, ​Trocheck, Marchessault LW, Horvat

LW (s3) Johnny Hockey, Parise, Terivinen RW, Meier RW
    RW(s3) Wheeler C, Taresenko, Atkinson, Gallagher
    Until(s1)

D (s4) Carlson, Yandle, Jones, Trouba

G Dubnyk, Rittich, Markstrom, Binnington

IR Ehlers, Hall

Quote Originally Posted by GSD View Post
    Both Crawford and Mrazec are better than they have been playing. I would not trade Raanta, as I believe he is your best goalie when healthy. Get Crow or Mrazek. Koskinen is hot maybe a sell high?
    There's no way for me to get Crawford (Crow?) without trading Raanta. Koskinen isn't worth anything in our league, even to the Talbot owner.

So it's looking like Mrazek or Petersen from FA right now. Thanks all for your input.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by insertnamehere View Post
    The only trades available are:

Crawford and Stastny for Raanta and Drouin
    Crawford and Craig Smith for Raanta and Mikael Granlund
    Koskinen for Domingue

Not great.
    Hard pass on all three. Raanta is better than Crawford, and you'd be giving up significant +'s to downgrade in goaltending. Vasilevsky will be back soon, making Dominique worthless. Go grad Petersen, and just ride out Raanta's injury.

Raanta is done for the season, so now I have to drop him. At this point I have to do Wheeler for Erik Karlsson and Luongo or Anderson. Which goalie do you take?

The Great One

I'd snag Petersen for free; you'll get 3 starts from LA goalies + Raanta. If you insist on making one of those trades, I'd personally go for Anderson. Trading for Loungo to help out with goalie injuries is just too ironic to me.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I'd snag Petersen for free; you'll get 3 starts from LA goalies + Raanta. If you insist on making one of those trades, I'd personally go for Anderson. Trading for Loungo to help out with goalie injuries is just too ironic to me.
    He won't get any starts from Raanta...

I also agree here though on going with Anderson over Lou.
    Yahoo, H2H Categories, 1 Year, 12 Teams
    2C, 2RW, 2LW, 4D, 2G, 4BN

Skaters: G, A, +/-, PPP, SOG, HIT
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO

Looks like Tom Wilson for Craig Anderson. Not the best but here we are.