Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mail Question for the Canadians (& the Americans) (& what about other countries?)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Question Mail Question for the Canadians (& the Americans) (& what about other countries?)

Do mail-persons pick up OUTGOING mail from individual house mailboxes in Canada?

Back-story & Last-Evening Husband/Wife-Challenging:

I lived in Canada thru-2001.
    Then in the US from 2001-present.

My wife always tells me to put our outgoing mail in the mailbox.
    I've always told her "No, I don't think you are supposed to do that - I don't think the mail(person) appreciates it."
    She always looked at me really odd-like.
    So she just lets me take our letters to my office where I put them in the outgoing mail.

Finally last night, we start talking about it.
    She says "Listen, EVERYBODY puts outgoing mail in their own mailbox. I don't know why you think people don't do it."
    I said "OK, tell me how many mailboxes, out of say 100 in a neighborhood representing the general demographic, put outgoing mail in their mailbox on any given regular day?"
    She stalls (I had to really push her for a number, because she's not a numbers person).

She says "25. 25/100".
    I said "No way, like maybe 5. 5/100".

Then we had one of those Facebook husband/wife challenges.
    The post was "How do you send your outgoing mail? Your own house mailbox or public drop-off?".
    After 57 votes, it was:
    *42 House Mailbox
    *15 Public Drop-Off
    (Wife was super happy to dominate me in this challenge. Made her day. That was the upside.)

I mean, I was way off.
    And I'm left scratching my head... like... "How on earth do I think that nobody uses their own mailbox for outgoing mail?"

But then... it came to me...
    Maybe that just wasn't the way of it when I was growing up (in Canada).
    I can't EVER recall my mom or dad or anybody putting a letter in their mailbox and putting the flag up.

So it got me thinking:

1) DOES Canada mail pick up OUTGOING mail from mailboxes? Did it ever do that, present or past?
    2) Should it be considered an "inconvenience" to a mailperson to have to COLLECT mail? (I mean, doesn't the general populus get out enough to drop-off their mail somewhere as a mass-collective?)

I'm trying to wrap my head around my "feeling" - which is that it feels wrong to me to make a mailperson pick up mail from my mailbox.
    I mean, it would be part of their job duties, right?
    But why do I still feel like it is just impolite?

Sorry for wasting your times.
    Silly think topic of the day...

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Mail Question for the Canadians (& the Americans) (& what about other countries?)

I've never heard of putting outgoing mail in a mail box in Canada.

But that said in most big cities at least, things have changed since 2001. I've lived in the lower mainland since 2004 and have always had a 'communal mail box'. There is basically one on every few corners and it will have dozens of slots for houses and this is where people pick their mail up (in the lmd anyway). In that communal mail box there is a slot for outgoing mail. But you don't put it in your personal assigned mail slot, if you did I'm confident it would just pile up with your incoming mail. They also have additional slots for small to medium packages where they just leave you a package key in your personal mail slot. If the package doesn't fit they leave a slip and you go pick it up at the post office.

I think the general trend with Canada post has been to get away from individual home deliveries for obvious long term cost/time saving reasons.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Mail Question for the Canadians (& the Americans) (& what about other countries?)

If you have a personal mailbox at the end of your street, use that. My father delivered rural mail for 25 years. We always put outgoing in our mailbox. He still does this from his mailbox.

If you live in an urban area - you either have a communal street box - which has a drop box for outgoing mail - or a PO Box - which is at the post office - and clearly, if that's you - outdoing is not an issue.

I'm urban now, often I just bring outgoing mail to work & drop it in the street box sitting in front of my office. Much more convenient than walking the 300 meters to our street box.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

Canadian here, I have always dropped my mail off at the post office or in a post office drop box on the street.

Never have I left it in my personal mailbox to be picked up, didn't even think/know that was a thing.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Do mail-persons pick up OUTGOING mail from individual house mailboxes in Canada?

Back-story & Last-Evening Husband/Wife-Challenging:

I lived in Canada thru-2001.
    Then in the US from 2001-present.

My wife always tells me to put our outgoing mail in the mailbox.
    I've always told her "No, I don't think you are supposed to do that - I don't think the mail(person) appreciates it."
    She always looked at me really odd-like.
    So she just lets me take our letters to my office where I put them in the outgoing mail.

Finally last night, we start talking about it.
    She says "Listen, EVERYBODY puts outgoing mail in their own mailbox. I don't know why you think people don't do it."
    I said "OK, tell me how many mailboxes, out of say 100 in a neighborhood representing the general demographic, put outgoing mail in their mailbox on any given regular day?"
    She stalls (I had to really push her for a number, because she's not a numbers person).

She says "25. 25/100".
    I said "No way, like maybe 5. 5/100".

Then we had one of those Facebook husband/wife challenges.
    The post was "How do you send your outgoing mail? Your own house mailbox or public drop-off?".
    After 57 votes, it was:
    *42 House Mailbox
    *15 Public Drop-Off
    (Wife was super happy to dominate me in this challenge. Made her day. That was the upside.)

I mean, I was way off.
    And I'm left scratching my head... like... "How on earth do I think that nobody uses their own mailbox for outgoing mail?"

But then... it came to me...
    Maybe that just wasn't the way of it when I was growing up (in Canada).
    I can't EVER recall my mom or dad or anybody putting a letter in their mailbox and putting the flag up.

So it got me thinking:

1) DOES Canada mail pick up OUTGOING mail from mailboxes? Did it ever do that, present or past?
    2) Should it be considered an "inconvenience" to a mailperson to have to COLLECT mail? (I mean, doesn't the general populus get out enough to drop-off their mail somewhere as a mass-collective?)

I'm trying to wrap my head around my "feeling" - which is that it feels wrong to me to make a mailperson pick up mail from my mailbox.
    I mean, it would be part of their job duties, right?
    But why do I still feel like it is just impolite?

Sorry for wasting your times.
    Silly think topic of the day...
    I worked for Canada Post as a casual for a little while. Outgoing mail is NOT picked up (that's what the red boxes are for) but you can put return to sender mail back in your box if it's clearly labelled as such (address crossed out + reason for sending back) and they should pick it up. It is an inconvenience though, basically it means you have to lug it around for the rest of your shift.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

I have lived in Canada my whole life and have never heard of anyone putting outgoing mail in their home mailbox to be picked up.
    I'm with you on that one

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by GretzkysMullet View Post
    I worked for Canada Post as a casual for a little while. Outgoing mail is NOT picked up (that's what the red boxes are for) but you can put return to sender mail back in your box if it's clearly labelled as such (address crossed out + reason for sending back) and they should pick it up. It is an inconvenience though, basically it means you have to lug it around for the rest of your shift.
    There's your official answer
    12 Team H2H Keep 6
    Scoring Cats - Players: G, A, P, +/-, PPG, SHG, GWG
    Goalies: W, GAA, SV%, SHO
    Start 2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1G (locked in for the week)

C: Malkin, Kuznetsov, Larkin, Couture
    LW: Hall, DeBrincat, Fiala
    RW: Kucherov, J.T. Miller
    D: Theodore, Gustafsson, Pulock
    G: Hellebuyck, Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Icon

ive never really thought about it as i rarely SEND mail anywhere.

i grew up in rural Sask where we drove to town, got our mail and mailed anything we needed to. once i moved to teh City, i always used a Canada Post mail thing (like teh old mailboxes that you see in teh movies lol), and our mail was delivered to our apartment boxes. once we got a house in teh City we are in a neghbourhood with supermailboxes. a bank of 20 separate mailboxes and an outgoing mail slot..
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Foerster, Michkov, Kakko, Toffoli
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Minyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR- Quinn(RW)
    Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Veteran

Maybe you should write a letter to Canada Post and ask for an answer from them.

Tell your wife to leave it in the mail box to get picked up
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

I also have never left anything, or recall any of my family every leaving anything in a mailbox to be picked up to be delivered.

I would fully agree with you that outgoing mail should be dropped off at an outgoing mail post or one of those boxes at the end of streets and such.

Also, what if someone is away for several days and the mailman has left mail in the mailbox, and then he goes back the next day. Since the patrons of the house are away, the mail has not been taken inside, does he have to look through that mail and determine if it outgoing or incoming.

The Great One

Exactly as Mullet put it. I only put outgoing mail in my box if it's to return to sender (usually wrong address, etc.)

Dobber Sports Stud

I almost always use my mailbox for outgoing mail.

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Thanks to all for the replies!
    Really appreciate it.
    It's incredible that it took me 17+ years to realize the two countries had completely different outgoing mail systems!
    Will send out a few REPs for the informative answers!

Dobber Sports Titan

My house has it's on mailbox, and we have a drop-off box like a 5minute walk away, so I just take the dog for a walk to send out the like 5 cards I send per year (Christmas cards). I've never been told I can just leave it in my box. I see that as a bit of a "Take my mail you pheasant" move. Like, I have a mail box 5minutes away I can drop it off in and not have a person walk around with it. Seems like a dick move for a person who has that drop-off box close by to leave it in their own box.

In parts of Ontario, they don't do the house mailbox, it's the community one too right? So you have to walk to it anyways, wouldn't there be a drop-off box close to you? Or is there a drop-off box attached to those stand alone things?
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    My house has it's on mailbox, and we have a drop-off box like a 5minute walk away, so I just take the dog for a walk to send out the like 5 cards I send per year (Christmas cards). I've never been told I can just leave it in my box. I see that as a bit of a "Take my mail you pheasant" move. Like, I have a mail box 5minutes away I can drop it off in and not have a person walk around with it. Seems like a dick move for a person who has that drop-off box close by to leave it in their own box.

In parts of Ontario, they don't do the house mailbox, it's the community one too right? So you have to walk to it anyways, wouldn't there be a drop-off box close to you? Or is there a drop-off box attached to those stand alone things?
    1) I'm pretty sure you meant to say peasant and not pheasant, but gets the point across either way haha.
    2) Yes the community mail boxes have a slot attached for outgoing mail.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    1) I'm pretty sure you meant to say peasant and not pheasant
    Or could be both, LOL.