Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Baby it's cold outside pulled!

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Re: Baby it's cold outside pulled!

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    I think it's gone beyond 'Conservatives'. When over 90 percent of people want the song to stay on the air and aren't offended by it there are a lot of non-conservatives thinking the same thing as the conservatives (all ethnicities, political views, and sexual orientations will be represented to some degree in that 90 percent). This is a 'less than 10 percent of people have a funny way of looking at it' thing that the vast majority disagree with. Political association isn't relevant here. Common sense is relevant.
    In fairness, I only specifically mentioned conservatives because they seem to be the ones bent out of shape about silly little things like this. Most of the liberals are just like “Okay, well that is pretty stupid and unnecessary but whatever. Not a big deal I guess.”

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post
    I think you and I are on the same page with this. People don't understand that every passing year these little inches are adding up, our society has been drastically overhauled in the last 5 years. Some things for the better and somethings for the worse. Right now I think the line has crossed to the excessive, were willing to bend to the few on very minor issues, in some cases there doing so just to get attention. People are not being asked to be resilient or rise up anymore there being coddled beyond belief. I think were heading down a very strange path in humanity, one that will topple on it's head sooner then later.
    just curious, what’s changed for the worse in the last few years?

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by GinFizz View Post
    just curious, what’s changed for the worse in the last few years?
    The rise in jingoism?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    In fairness, I only specifically mentioned conservatives because they seem to be the ones bent out of shape about silly little things like this. Most of the liberals are just like “Okay, well that is pretty stupid and unnecessary but whatever. Not a big deal I guess.”
    The irony
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Dobber Sports Ninja

I just listened to a Radiolab podcast today discussing gay conversion therapy and a few other tidbits. The specifics are not as important for this topic but one thing that I thought was interesting was that one of the people interviewed was discussing how he was continually being called a nazi and a fascist for his views on being gay and mental illness. He said radical leftists (I believe that was the term he used) had published his home address and he and others at a conference had been forced to resort to hiring plainclothes security to walk with them at the conference. This was late 60s/early 70s.

None of this is new. Society is not hurtling down some deep dark political correctness path that is going to result in language police beating down your door for not calling someone a xir. This stuff has been happening for decades and extremists on both sides of the spectrum (real radical leftists and real nazis - not the 98% of everyone else in between) have and will continue to exist as long as time marches on. In general out lives are stunningly good compared to how the rest of the world lives right now, and compared to how people lived throughout history. In 50 years we will still be arguing about some of these silly things but I wager, unless some sort of horrific war occurs, life will be much, much better for the average person then, then it is today.

Dobber Sports Deity

FWIW, CBC radio changed its "tune" on the song and is playing it again.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...tate-1.4941087
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

This makes me very happy!!

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...tate-1.4941087
    I actually heard that a lot of radio stations who initially pulled the song, ended up changing that decision after seeing the polls of the people genuinely offended, versus those who want to still hear the song. Of course, you don't hear a lot about that, because it isn't the sexy, controversial topic at that point.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    I just listened to a Radiolab podcast today discussing gay conversion therapy and a few other tidbits. The specifics are not as important for this topic but one thing that I thought was interesting was that one of the people interviewed was discussing how he was continually being called a nazi and a fascist for his views on being gay and mental illness. He said radical leftists (I believe that was the term he used) had published his home address and he and others at a conference had been forced to resort to hiring plainclothes security to walk with them at the conference. This was late 60s/early 70s.

None of this is new. Society is not hurtling down some deep dark political correctness path that is going to result in language police beating down your door for not calling someone a xir. This stuff has been happening for decades and extremists on both sides of the spectrum (real radical leftists and real nazis - not the 98% of everyone else in between) have and will continue to exist as long as time marches on. In general out lives are stunningly good compared to how the rest of the world lives right now, and compared to how people lived throughout history. In 50 years we will still be arguing about some of these silly things but I wager, unless some sort of horrific war occurs, life will be much, much better for the average person then, then it is today.
    While I think it is absolutely horrible that they would equate him to a Nazi or a Fascist, and publishing his address is brutal, the way some people think of homosexuality and mental illness, is abhorrent. The destruction caused to the LGBT community and to people suffering from mental health by some people just by pushing gay conversion therapy is catastrophic.

Rylant

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    While I think it is absolutely horrible that they would equate him to a Nazi or a Fascist, and publishing his address is brutal, the way some people think of homosexuality and mental illness, is abhorrent. The destruction caused to the LGBT community and to people suffering from mental health by some people just by pushing gay conversion therapy is catastrophic.

Rylant
    Sure. Not really my point, and the podcast is much more interesting than my tidbit (which was just a side remark in a bigger story), but you're not wrong.