Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Baby it's cold outside pulled!

The Great One

Default Re: Baby it's cold outside pulled!

Quote Originally Posted by NoDoughty View Post
    Yes, those people have the right to lobby for changes that matter to them, other people can lobby against those changes, and the business can consider both sides and make changes or not, based on what they believe will benefit their business the most. Welcome to democracy! All this is, by which I mean political correctness as a whole, is freedom at work, and some people taking exception to the outcome.
    But clearly democracy shouldn't apply to snowflakes, right? It should only apply for traditional values, or views espoused on Fox News...(I think that's the point you are missing).

Dobber Sports Jedi

Being on Vancouver Island. we rarely get snow... I dunno if I remember what a snowflake looks like. Every time they say we're getting snow, it turns to rain. I know what rain drops are... why aren't people talking about rain drops?
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by NoDoughty View Post
    Yes, those people have the right to lobby for changes that matter to them, other people can lobby against those changes, and the business can consider both sides and make changes or not, based on what they believe will benefit their business the most. Welcome to democracy! All this is, by which I mean political correctness as a whole, is freedom at work, and some people taking exception to the outcome.
    We take exception to the outcome because the outcome is based on a mis-interpretation and falicy. Thankfully the outcome of this particular issue is inconsequential and its not worth the effort to reverse it. I just hope that when it's actually time to change something meaningful people won't think its just 'snowflakes' crying wolf again.

CBC, Rogers, Bell and Galaxy have also pulled the song. Well done!
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...side-1.4931867

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    We take exception to the outcome because the outcome is based on a mis-interpretation and falicy. Thankfully the outcome of this particular issue is inconsequential and its not worth the effort to reverse it. I just hope that when it's actually time to change something meaningful people won't think its just 'snowflakes' crying wolf again.

CBC, Rogers, Bell and Galaxy have also pulled the song. Well done!
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...side-1.4931867
    I think that's the same Canadian Press article cited in the OP; I don't think Galaxy is cited in it. But I'm multi-tasking, who knows...

On a more substantive note, your interpretation is not the bible for what is true...

As for me, I could care less if this song is on the radio or not. But I take no issues with businesses making business decisions. I don't know why people are so paranoid about the decisions being made by the private sector...

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Being on Vancouver Island. we rarely get snow... I dunno if I remember what a snowflake looks like. Every time they say we're getting snow, it turns to rain. I know what rain drops are... why aren't people talking about rain drops?
    Vancouver Island is plumb full of snowflakes... You aren't looking hard enough
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Genius

Ok there has been lot's of people saying that these businesses are making the decision based on the common opinion that the song should be pulled due to political incorrectness. I believe because I have no facts outside of public forum, social media and even this very thread that the masses don't agree the song should be pulled, just a select few *cough* Snowflakes.

This is the problem when you try to have all inconclusive groups, you end up stifling free speech and creativeness. There have been public schools where Christmas plays are now being cancelled because of the few who have different religious beliefs or you have to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas? What's next book burning? Or maybe podcast deleting more 21st century?
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,,J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov, C.Giroux, T.Terry
    D: Q. Hughes, A.Pietrangelo, J.Carlson, A.Ekblad, Sanheim
    G:Bobrovsky, Ingram

Dobber Sports Ninja

Some people get upset over Starbucks coffee cup designs at Christmas.
    Some people get upset over song lyrics.

It's a holiday tradition to focus on inane things I guess.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    I don't care either - it's just one song. I don't care about Apu being censored either. It's just one character.
    My issue is with the broader implication of decisions like this. On their own, they are meaningless isolated incidents.
    Put together enough of these, though, and people will eventually start getting fines and maybe even jail time for saying something that offended the wrong people.
    People like Bill Burr will stop performing because the risks will outweigh the benefits.

Think about that for a moment... think about what that world will look like.

The CBC is supposed to be objective and the broadcaster for (all) the people. They are not a private business. They're a crown corp.
    So it's rightfully frustrating, in my humble opinion, that the CBC makes decisions like this which are clearly advocating censorship.
    As was already said by others, let art be art, and let the parents decide what art the kids should be allowed to see & hear.
    There is a lot going on in this post. For now, I will ignore the part about the CBC - while that's an interesting debate on its own (irrespective of the current issue).

But with respect to the bigger picture:

- The ban started from a radio station in Cleveland. It announced the results of its poll where 95% did not think the song should be banned. But they did it any way.

- The ban then travelled throughout the United States (before making its way into Canada).

- A number of stations that "banned" the song conducted user polls, and then reversed their ban. Other stations have continued with the ban, for whatever reason...

It seems like quite the leap to go from this, to "fines or jail time." Especially in the US, where free speech is very protected. Even in Canada, you have to cross a fairly large threshold to get "fines or jail time"...

I'd also suggest that "bans" can have the opposite effect. It can draw attention to people or viewpoints that otherwise would not make it to the mainstream...

I suspect the most major factor going into the "ban" decision is that 99.99% of people don't care whether this song is played on the radio or not.

Dobber Sports Genius

https://www.macleans.ca/lindsay-shep...lfrid-laurier/

Sure free speech is still somewhat protected in this country but say something that is even remotely controversially or even something such as the song "baby it's cold outside" out of context in the public forum and you can kiss your career and public image goodbye.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Canucks_fan18 View Post

Sure free speech is still somewhat protected in this country but say something that is even remotely controversially or even something such as the song "baby it's cold outside" out of context in the public forum and you can kiss your career and public image goodbye.
    Her career will be fine. I imagine she has a great future with a Patreon account, an appearance on Dr Oz, and maybe a few Joe Rogan interviews as well. Make some bucks, then go to a different school to finish her schooling, write a book, then fade into obscurity. I don't think she will be hurting at all.

Dobber Sports Genius

"An a capella singing group at Princeton University sparked backlash when they performed "Kiss The Girl". The all-male group has now pulled the song from their performances after getting several complaints about its lyrics and the message it may promote about consent, according to The Huffington Post. "

https://www.narcity.com/entertainmen...cynDgYYZs-gyjo

How about this one? I am telling you it will never end if we keep caving to the whim of every single person out there that claims their offended. Yes I meant to say claimed. I think some people might actually be offended in certain cases and others are just looking for attention.

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by doulos View Post
    Her career will be fine. I imagine she has a great future with a Patreon account, an appearance on Dr Oz, and maybe a few Joe Rogan interviews as well. Make some bucks, then go to a different school to finish her schooling, write a book, then fade into obscurity. I don't think she will be hurting at all.
    Exactly. What a bizarre example to illustrate a point. Lindsay Shephard came off looking like roses and WLU looked ridiculous. According to Wikipedia, she has gone on to found the Laurier Society of Open Inquiry and was the 2018 Harry Weldon Canadian Values Award (whatever that is). She is also suing WLU - who knows, maybe she'll make a pile of cash in the meantime. People at Fox News make a living with their snowflake commentaries. This is exactly what I mean by an over-reaction...

Dobber Sports Initiate

This isn't a situation where free speech is threatened! What is wrong with being more inclusive and not having solely Christian holiday plays at publicly funded schools that have students with many religions, and people say happy holidays to be inclusive of those that are not Christian, but no one gets charged or prosecuted for saying Merry Christmas. No one is being told they can't play this song, they are deciding not to. Free speech is alive and well, but obviously, like anything in adult life, there are consequences to what you say and what you say affects people and these stations are deciding to err on not offending people because they don't think the cost of pulling ONE SONG, that isn't even really about Christmas but about the end of a date during the winter, from there Christmas song playlists is worth upsetting people that have expressed concern that given current discussions about consent, this song doesn't come off favourably. People can still play the song if they choose, you can sing it. You are free to do so.
    8tm Keep 7FWD,4D,1G
    C,3LW,3RW,5D,2G (positional game played cap)
    G(3),A(2),+/-(1),PM(0.5),PPP(1),GW(1),S(0.4),W(4),SV(0.2),GA(-1),SO(2)
    C:Aho, Barkov, Pavelski(RW), Nugent-Hop(LW)
    R:Rantanen, Pasta, Konecny
    L:Guentzel, Gaudreau, Keller(RW), Benn
    D:Makar, Karlsson, Sergachev, Dobson, Hronek, Sanderson
    G:Vasilevskiy, Hart, Kuemper, Kotchetkov, Husso

Dobber Sports Ninja

"An a capella singing group at Princeton University sparked backlash when they performed "Kiss The Girl". The all-male group has now pulled the song from their performances after getting several complaints about its lyrics and the message it may promote about consent, according to The Huffington Post. "

https://www.narcity.com/entertainmen...cynDgYYZs-gyjo

How about this one? I am telling you it will never end if we keep caving to the whim of every single person out there that claims their offended. Yes I meant to say claimed. I think some people might actually be offended in certain cases and others are just looking for attention.
    Actually, while there are certainly some silly people using fancy buzzwords about the song, the main problem with the song, wasn't the song itself, but the fact that they were dragging a man and woman up on stage each show, and it was causing some pretty uncomfortable situations. Sure, then you had some student papers and left wing media giving the song itself the stink eye, but it was clearly a cute part of the show that had some consequences that they didn't really think through. I know personally, I would be pissed if I was pulled on stage for something like that. Leave me alone to enjoy your show and don't force me to be a part of it.

Dobber Sports Veteran

This quote from her supervisor...

Rambukkana talks about Peterson’s popularity among the alt-right community, and at one point says that playing a clip of the University of Toronto professor, without giving any context for the students, “is like neutrally playing a speech by Hitler.”

The reach on this guy is impressive, I'm surprised he's not a professional boxer.
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby