Thread: What Does the Future Hold for Hamilton?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default What Does the Future Hold for Hamilton?

Roster and full league details in my signature below.

I just managed to pry D. Hamilton away from a rival GM in my league, and I'm wondering what people think the future holds for him, short and long term. Does he put up 45+ points this year? Is he someone worth considering for a keeper spot long term in my limited keeper league (keep 6)?
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

C: Monahan, Barkov, S. Reinhart (RW)
    LW: Benn*, Ovechkin* (RW), Skinner
    RW: Kucherov*, Tarasenko*, Hornqvist
    D: Karlsson*, Ristolainen, Hamilton, Gardiner, C. Miller
    G:: Vasilevskiy* (IR), Elliott (IR), Howard, Rittich, Smith, Talbot

* = 2018 keepers

Dobber Sports Ninja

Default Re: What Does the Future Hold for Hamilton?

I think he's going to have his usual breakout 2nd half, and that should answer most of your questions
    Capped writer for DobberHockey. Find the latest articles here: http://www.dobberhockey.com/Table/Hockey-home/Capped/
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Initiate

I think it's possible if he keeps his current shot output where it's at. He's on pace for 300+ shots and his S% is sitting at around only 3%, which is like 3% lower than his average. More goals, more assists off rebounds, more points for Dougie in the last 2/3rd's of the season!
    10 Team Roto - Keep 16
    G, A, PPG, SHG, PIM, +/-, SPCT, GAA, W
    Start 12F/6D/3G + 6B

F: Draisaitl, Hall, Landeskog, Malkin, Panarin, Rantanen, DeBrincat, Hischier, Horvat, Larkin, Pettersson, Bjorkstrand, Donato, C. Smith
    D: Doughty, Karlsson, Pietrangelo, Subban, Theodore, Pulock, Leddy
    G: Lundqvist, Smith, Bobrovsky, Markstrom, Jarry

16 Team H2H Keep $20 (Auction Draft)
    PT=1PT, 1PIM=.25
    Start 9F/6D/1G + 5B

F: Gaudreau, Kucherov, Panarin, Johanson, Pastrnak, Barkov, Barzal, Rantanen, Neal, Gourde, Bailey, Fiala, Heinen
    D: Josi, Subban, Klingberg, Krug, Trouba, Pietrangelo, Girard
    G: Rask,Greiss

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    I think it's possible if he keeps his current shot output where it's at. He's on pace for 300+ shots and his S% is sitting at around only 3%, which is like 3% lower than his average. More goals, more assists off rebounds, more points for Dougie in the last 2/3rd's of the season!
    Yeah, the SOG volume was a big factor for me in pulling the trigger. My larger concern is about how he fits in on CAR... I used to see him a lot when he played for BOS, and pretty often when he played for CGY, but I just haven't seem him play a lot on this new CAR team.
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

* = 2018 keepers

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by rooneypoo View Post
    Yeah, the SOG volume was a big factor for me in pulling the trigger. My larger concern is about how he fits in on CAR... I used to see him a lot when he played for BOS, and pretty often when he played for CGY, but I just haven't seem him play a lot on this new CAR team.
    I've seen him about 4 games in Carolina this year. Lots of shots; frustrating that Faulk gets PP priority over him.

I think Carolina started hit but is coming back to earth. I'm a little worried about Dougie on the Canes. I didn't love him on Calgary either. Good player who seems to never got in ot be used properly...

I see him with 40ish pts this year. Don't see that big breakout coming

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HonkyTonkMan View Post
    I've seen him about 4 games in Carolina this year. Lots of shots; frustrating that Faulk gets PP priority over him.

I think Carolina started hit but is coming back to earth. I'm a little worried about Dougie on the Canes. I didn't love him on Calgary either. Good player who seems to never got in ot be used properly...

I see him with 40ish pts this year. Don't see that big breakout coming

*Seems to never FIT in OR be used properly

Agree with others and hope that his SOG volume will translate to more points. On your team you have 3 potential Keeper D with Karlsson, Risto and Hamiltion. IMO you need to keep Karlsson so it your top 5 keepers are Ovechkin, Benn, Kucherov, Vasilevsky and Karlsson. If you keep Hamilton you would need to drop Tarasenko, Barkov or Ristolainen - so he will need to have a really big breakout in teh second half to consider this.
    Scooter
    -------------------------------------------------
    C - MacKinnon(C), Schenn (C), Pettersson (C)
    LW - Hall (LW), Meier (LW/RW), Domi (C/LW), Coleman (C/LW)
    RW - Rantanen (RW), Tuch (RW), Zucker (LW/RW)
    D - Hamilton, Provorov, OEL, Parayko, Edler
    G - Domingue, Ullmark
    IR - Raanta, Hutton

-------------------------------------------------
    12 team league - 17 on Roster (+1 IR)
    8 keepers, 5 bench, Weekly H2H league,
    11 cat's G,A,PPP,+/-,SOG,PIM,GWG,Hits & W,SV%,GAA
    2 Start at C, LW,RW and G and 4 D.
    Daily Line-Up Changes[/SIZE][/FONT]

Dobber Sports Titan

I can't say I've seen Hamilton play much this year (just 2-3gp, incl. last night).

Sometimes defenseman SOG can be a frustrating thing for a team.
    I think it got that way for Calgary.

One mindset these days is "Shoot the puck!", "You can only score if you take shots", etc.
    But there is another mindset that a team can just try to move the puck around, keep possession, and look for a higher-% shot.

Volume D-shooters aren't always great.
    As a Flyers fan, when Ghost's shots are going on it's like "Oh, another Ghost goal, alright!"
    But a lot of times he's ripping and missing, or it kicks out so wide that the other team clears the zone and then it's like "C'mon Ghost, why don't you make a pass over to G or Voracek?!"

FWIW - it was this way in Calgary a bit last year too.
    Hamilton was VERY spotty.
    He put up only 16pts in his 39 Oct/Nov/Dec games.
    Then he put up 22pts in his 26 Jan/Feb games. And 7ppp in Feb... but only another 5ppp outside that month.

He's a polarizing player.
    Carolina is up for possibly re-jigging things again... as they've hit a bit of a losing spell.

Interesting Note on Carolina:
    Carolina LEADS the NHL with 38.8 shot on goal FOR, per game.
    Carolina LEADS the NHL with a +11.0 shot differential, per game.

And...
    Carolina has lost 3 in a row.

They are perhaps the ONE team in the NHL right now where a shot-surplus isn't equaling a victory.
    Either that's just "Bad Luck" or they need to figure out how to re-work their system.

I do believe they'll find a best way to use Dougie.
    He's a 50pt player, he'll get there.
    Slow-start, just like last year.

[Back-Patting Note: The two teams whose goalies are tried to "value-draft" in one-year leagues this year, Carolina & Florida, are #1 and #2 in shots on net FOR per game. They are also both top five teams at a +5 or more shot differential per game. Should translate to eventual wins... but I haven't raked it yet. Ugh.]

Yeah, that's the gist of it. I've been trying to figure out for a while where Benn and Tarasenko fit into my keepers, and how they stack up with the other 54~ keepers in my league. I've felt like they were both no-brainers for a while, but it's becoming harder to justify thinking that way.
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2018 keepers

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I can't say I've seen Hamilton play much this year (just 2-3gp, incl. last night).

Sometimes defenseman SOG can be a frustrating thing for a team.
    I think it got that way for Calgary.

One mindset these days is "Shoot the puck!", "You can only score if you take shots", etc.
    But there is another mindset that a team can just try to move the puck around, keep possession, and look for a higher-% shot.

Volume D-shooters aren't always great.
    As a Flyers fan, when Ghost's shots are going on it's like "Oh, another Ghost goal, alright!"
    But a lot of times he's ripping and missing, or it kicks out so wide that the other team clears the zone and then it's like "C'mon Ghost, why don't you make a pass over to G or Voracek?!"

FWIW - it was this way in Calgary a bit last year too.
    Hamilton was VERY spotty.
    He put up only 16pts in his 39 Oct/Nov/Dec games.
    Then he put up 22pts in his 26 Jan/Feb games. And 7ppp in Feb... but only another 5ppp outside that month.

He's a polarizing player.
    Carolina is up for possibly re-jigging things again... as they've hit a bit of a losing spell.

Interesting Note on Carolina:
    Carolina LEADS the NHL with 38.8 shot on goal FOR, per game.
    Carolina LEADS the NHL with a +11.0 shot differential, per game.

And...
    Carolina has lost 3 in a row.

They are perhaps the ONE team in the NHL right now where a shot-surplus isn't equaling a victory.
    Either that's just "Bad Luck" or they need to figure out how to re-work their system.

I do believe they'll find a best way to use Dougie.
    He's a 50pt player, he'll get there.
    Slow-start, just like last year.

[Back-Patting Note: The two teams whose goalies are tried to "value-draft" in one-year leagues this year, Carolina & Florida, are #1 and #2 in shots on net FOR per game. They are also both top five teams at a +5 or more shot differential per game. Should translate to eventual wins... but I haven't raked it yet. Ugh.]
    Thanks for this, Penguin -- this is some good insight.

I guess I hope for a healthy 2nd half and something of a team turnaround. It would really help if they mix up how they deploy Faulk. If all I got was a Dman who will put up, say, 30 points in the next 50 games plus some good peripherals (SOG, HIT, that's actually still a good deal for me, I suppose, because I'm not going to find a Dman on the waiver wire who is likely to do that for me -- whereas finding a few streamers who can add up to something like a the 70-point player I traded for him (Granlund) is a less tall order.
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2018 keepers