Thread: What Does the Future Hold for Hamilton?

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Default What Does the Future Hold for Hamilton?

Roster and full league details in my signature below.

I just managed to pry D. Hamilton away from a rival GM in my league, and I'm wondering what people think the future holds for him, short and long term. Does he put up 45+ points this year? Is he someone worth considering for a keeper spot long term in my limited keeper league (keep 6)?
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

C: Draisaitl* (LW), Dubois, Nelson
    LW: Svechnikov* (RW), Hagel
    RW: Kucherov*, Tarasenko, Wilson, Stone, Laine, Reinhart, P. Kane (IR)
    D: Fox*, Karlsson*, Chabot (IR), Faulk, Martinez
    G:: Vasilevskiy*, Vanecek, Adin, Knight (IR)

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: What Does the Future Hold for Hamilton?

I think he's going to have his usual breakout 2nd half, and that should answer most of your questions
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Veteran

I think it's possible if he keeps his current shot output where it's at. He's on pace for 300+ shots and his S% is sitting at around only 3%, which is like 3% lower than his average. More goals, more assists off rebounds, more points for Dougie in the last 2/3rd's of the season!
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Quote Originally Posted by saucelife90 View Post
    I think it's possible if he keeps his current shot output where it's at. He's on pace for 300+ shots and his S% is sitting at around only 3%, which is like 3% lower than his average. More goals, more assists off rebounds, more points for Dougie in the last 2/3rd's of the season!
    Yeah, the SOG volume was a big factor for me in pulling the trigger. My larger concern is about how he fits in on CAR... I used to see him a lot when he played for BOS, and pretty often when he played for CGY, but I just haven't seem him play a lot on this new CAR team.
    -----------------

LEAGUE: keeper -- 6 keepers per year, no farm; roto; 10 managers, 18-man rosters; 2 C, 2 LW, 2 RW, 4 D, 1 UTIL, 2 G, 5 Bench; limits of 99 games per skater position & 82 games per goalie position; daily roster moves; max 100 waiver wire transactions per year; scoring categories of G, A, +/-, HIT, PPP, SOG, DEF (points by d-men), W, GAA, SA%, and SV.

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by rooneypoo View Post
    Yeah, the SOG volume was a big factor for me in pulling the trigger. My larger concern is about how he fits in on CAR... I used to see him a lot when he played for BOS, and pretty often when he played for CGY, but I just haven't seem him play a lot on this new CAR team.
    I've seen him about 4 games in Carolina this year. Lots of shots; frustrating that Faulk gets PP priority over him.

I think Carolina started hit but is coming back to earth. I'm a little worried about Dougie on the Canes. I didn't love him on Calgary either. Good player who seems to never got in ot be used properly...

I see him with 40ish pts this year. Don't see that big breakout coming

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HonkyTonkMan View Post
    I've seen him about 4 games in Carolina this year. Lots of shots; frustrating that Faulk gets PP priority over him.

I think Carolina started hit but is coming back to earth. I'm a little worried about Dougie on the Canes. I didn't love him on Calgary either. Good player who seems to never got in ot be used properly...

I see him with 40ish pts this year. Don't see that big breakout coming

*Seems to never FIT in OR be used properly

Dobber Sports Initiate

Agree with others and hope that his SOG volume will translate to more points. On your team you have 3 potential Keeper D with Karlsson, Risto and Hamiltion. IMO you need to keep Karlsson so it your top 5 keepers are Ovechkin, Benn, Kucherov, Vasilevsky and Karlsson. If you keep Hamilton you would need to drop Tarasenko, Barkov or Ristolainen - so he will need to have a really big breakout in teh second half to consider this.
    Scooter
    -------------------------------------------------
    C - Hughes (C/LW), Mackinnon (C), Ek (C),
    LW - Stutzle (LW), Raymond (LW/RW), Joshua (C/LW)
    RW - Rantanen (RW), Giouroux (C/RW). Bjorkstrand (RW), Mantha (RW)
    D - Dahlin, Makar, Seider, L Hughes, Matheson, Faber
    G - Saros, Levi, Luukkonen
    IR -
    -------------------------------------------------
    12 team league - 19 on Roster (+4 IR)
    8 keepers, 5 bench, Weekly H2H league,
    11 cat's G,A,PPP,+/-,SOG,PIM,GWG,Hits & W,SV%,GAA
    2 Start at C, LW,RW and G and 4 D.
    55 Moves Regular Season (re-set to 8 for Play-Offs)
    Daily Line-Up Changes[/SIZE][/FONT]

Dobber Sports Demi-God

I can't say I've seen Hamilton play much this year (just 2-3gp, incl. last night).

Sometimes defenseman SOG can be a frustrating thing for a team.
    I think it got that way for Calgary.

One mindset these days is "Shoot the puck!", "You can only score if you take shots", etc.
    But there is another mindset that a team can just try to move the puck around, keep possession, and look for a higher-% shot.

Volume D-shooters aren't always great.
    As a Flyers fan, when Ghost's shots are going on it's like "Oh, another Ghost goal, alright!"
    But a lot of times he's ripping and missing, or it kicks out so wide that the other team clears the zone and then it's like "C'mon Ghost, why don't you make a pass over to G or Voracek?!"

FWIW - it was this way in Calgary a bit last year too.
    Hamilton was VERY spotty.
    He put up only 16pts in his 39 Oct/Nov/Dec games.
    Then he put up 22pts in his 26 Jan/Feb games. And 7ppp in Feb... but only another 5ppp outside that month.

He's a polarizing player.
    Carolina is up for possibly re-jigging things again... as they've hit a bit of a losing spell.

Interesting Note on Carolina:
    Carolina LEADS the NHL with 38.8 shot on goal FOR, per game.
    Carolina LEADS the NHL with a +11.0 shot differential, per game.

And...
    Carolina has lost 3 in a row.

They are perhaps the ONE team in the NHL right now where a shot-surplus isn't equaling a victory.
    Either that's just "Bad Luck" or they need to figure out how to re-work their system.

I do believe they'll find a best way to use Dougie.
    He's a 50pt player, he'll get there.
    Slow-start, just like last year.

[Back-Patting Note: The two teams whose goalies are tried to "value-draft" in one-year leagues this year, Carolina & Florida, are #1 and #2 in shots on net FOR per game. They are also both top five teams at a +5 or more shot differential per game. Should translate to eventual wins... but I haven't raked it yet. Ugh.]

Yeah, that's the gist of it. I've been trying to figure out for a while where Benn and Tarasenko fit into my keepers, and how they stack up with the other 54~ keepers in my league. I've felt like they were both no-brainers for a while, but it's becoming harder to justify thinking that way.
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    I can't say I've seen Hamilton play much this year (just 2-3gp, incl. last night).

Sometimes defenseman SOG can be a frustrating thing for a team.
    I think it got that way for Calgary.

One mindset these days is "Shoot the puck!", "You can only score if you take shots", etc.
    But there is another mindset that a team can just try to move the puck around, keep possession, and look for a higher-% shot.

Volume D-shooters aren't always great.
    As a Flyers fan, when Ghost's shots are going on it's like "Oh, another Ghost goal, alright!"
    But a lot of times he's ripping and missing, or it kicks out so wide that the other team clears the zone and then it's like "C'mon Ghost, why don't you make a pass over to G or Voracek?!"

FWIW - it was this way in Calgary a bit last year too.
    Hamilton was VERY spotty.
    He put up only 16pts in his 39 Oct/Nov/Dec games.
    Then he put up 22pts in his 26 Jan/Feb games. And 7ppp in Feb... but only another 5ppp outside that month.

He's a polarizing player.
    Carolina is up for possibly re-jigging things again... as they've hit a bit of a losing spell.

Interesting Note on Carolina:
    Carolina LEADS the NHL with 38.8 shot on goal FOR, per game.
    Carolina LEADS the NHL with a +11.0 shot differential, per game.

And...
    Carolina has lost 3 in a row.

They are perhaps the ONE team in the NHL right now where a shot-surplus isn't equaling a victory.
    Either that's just "Bad Luck" or they need to figure out how to re-work their system.

I do believe they'll find a best way to use Dougie.
    He's a 50pt player, he'll get there.
    Slow-start, just like last year.

[Back-Patting Note: The two teams whose goalies are tried to "value-draft" in one-year leagues this year, Carolina & Florida, are #1 and #2 in shots on net FOR per game. They are also both top five teams at a +5 or more shot differential per game. Should translate to eventual wins... but I haven't raked it yet. Ugh.]
    Thanks for this, Penguin -- this is some good insight.

I guess I hope for a healthy 2nd half and something of a team turnaround. It would really help if they mix up how they deploy Faulk. If all I got was a Dman who will put up, say, 30 points in the next 50 games plus some good peripherals (SOG, HIT, that's actually still a good deal for me, I suppose, because I'm not going to find a Dman on the waiver wire who is likely to do that for me -- whereas finding a few streamers who can add up to something like a the 70-point player I traded for him (Granlund) is a less tall order.
    -----------------

ROSTER:

* = 2023 keepers