Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Marner for Matthews am I crazy?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Marner for Matthews am I crazy?

I have a guy in my league that keeps after me for Marner. He has offered Matthews straight up when he was injured and now again he has offered Matthews up. Am I crazy for not pulling the trigger on this?? I think Marner is insanely talented but is Matthews going to be that much better????

A side note that the same guy has inquired about McElhinney who I have as well.

maybe we will have a block buster trade?
    13 Team Points only Keepers league

Points: Goalies: 2 Pt for W / 4 pt for SO // Def: 2 pt for G / 1 pt for A // Fwd: 1 pt G or A.
    Top 2 G,4 D,9 Fwd count for points per week.

G:Jordan Binnington, Darcy Kuemper, Eric Comrie
    D: Zach Werenski, Morgan Rielly, Rasmus Dahlin,Alex Romanov, Jake Walman
    FWD: Johnny Gaudreau, Mitch Marner, Matwhew Tkachuk, Evgeny Kuznetsov, Yegor Sharangovich, Stefan Noesen, Kent Johnson, Brandon Tanev, Peyton Krebs, Rudolf Balcers, Eeli Tolvanen, Taylor Raddysh, Juuso Parssien.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Default Re: Marner for Matthews am I crazy?

In a vacuum Matthews will outscore Marner. By how much? Who knows. If he wants Marner so bad, dangle Marner for Matthews and a pick (as insurance that the shoulder will heal). Then you win.

Dobber Sports Deity

I agree with havanablast. I think it's close enough that you should ask for a +. Right now, Marner looks like the better option because of his ability to avoid the injury bug that Matthews has yet to do since being in the NHL.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Stud

Points only I think marner will actually win out. Goal heavy or pretty much any other category and it's Matthews.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by HonkyTonkMan View Post
    Points only I think marner will actually win out. Goal heavy or pretty much any other category and it's Matthews.
    2 goals and 1 assist for Matthews. That’s 23 points in 14 games. It’s a 134 point pace over 82 games. Not so sure Marner can continue at this pace.

I really see Matthews as a complete tier above Marner (WHO I LOVE aswell). See my team in sig. I have a 500 point+ lead on 2nd place. Thanks much impart to them both.

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by havanablast21 View Post
    2 goals and 1 assist for Matthews. That’s 23 points in 14 games. It’s a 134 point pace over 82 games. Not so sure Marner can continue at this pace.

I really see Matthews as a complete tier above Marner (WHO I LOVE aswell). See my team in sig. I have a 500 point+ lead on 2nd place. Thanks much impart to them both.
    He has to play 82 games for that to matter. Marner led the team last year, he's leading the team this year, the fact that he plays more games than Matthews has plenty to do with that.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Titan

Marner's last 14 games:
    2G, 19A, 21pts. 5.4% shooting.

Marner/Matthews are very close, they'll go through streaks where one will be on and the other will be "off".

In a Forwards league (not C,LW,RW) I'd rather Matthews, his goal output will make him look more valuable than Marner. See Ovi/Backstrom comparison. The last 3 yrs Backstrom 190GP, 190pts - Ovechkin -191GP, 189pts. Drafted about 40 positions apart.

If he wants Marner though, you get to win the trade. You need to get a + to make this happen.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    He has to play 82 games for that to matter. Marner led the team last year, he's leading the team this year, the fact that he plays more games than Matthews has plenty to do with that.
    Not necessarily

Last Season, Marner managed to outscore Matthews by 6 points (but it took Marner 20 more games to make up those 6 points)
    2017-2018 Season
    Marner, Mitchell C 82 22 47 69 -1 26 27 0 2 0.84 194 16:23
    Matthews, Auston C 62 34 29 63 25 12 13 0 5 1.02 187 18:08

This season Marner is outscoring Matthews by 16 point points with 14 more games played.
    Will Marner keep the pace up? I sure as hell hope so. But is Matthews substantially more productive when he's healthy and on the ice? The number support that.

This is not a shot on Marner but a recommendation for perspectives like the one sighted above to really look at Matthews and what his potential is.
    Last year Matthews nearly paced Marner with 20 less games played. Hes back now and scoring at just over a 2 point per game pace.

Should Matthews avoid injury, I think the guy trading away Matthews is pursing his lips in hindsight.

That said... I own both (and now I lead by 600+points on the 2nd place team after Matthews outpouring last night).

Dobber Sports All-Star

Yeah, trade Marner for Matthews. For the real question at hand, how the hell is Toronto going to afford to pay Marner and Matthews with new contracts when they just resigned Nylander and have Tavares on the books?
    14 Team NHL Salary Cap Dynasty -daily starts
    H2H, Salary Cap 95mil, Player actual salaries (all)
    +/-,G,A,GWG,PTS,STP,PIM,SOG,HT,BS,GAA,SO,SV,W
    Starters: 12 Forwards, 6 Defense, 2 Goalies

Forwards: Domi, K.Connor, Kessel, Parise, Monahan, Point, Rantanen, Kucherov, Panarin , M.Martin, Reaves, Marner
    Defense: Butcher, K.Russell, Pelech, Girard, Klingberg, Larsson
    Goalie: Rask, Hellebuyck
    Reserves: D.Strome, Jo.Benn, Polak, C.Crawford , M.Jones, A.Dell, Koskinen
    Prospects: Soderstrom, Sorokin, J.Dahlen, Kaprizov, Yamamoto, Makar, Starrett , F.Sandstrom, Timmins, T.Terry
    Fantrax TAHL 2013 & 2018 Champion

Dobber Sports Ace

Yeah. I get your point, you're not wrong. But the fact that Marner has indeed played 35 more games than Matthews during that span should not be ignored. At the end of the day you want the guy with more points (depending on your team and league), it doesn't matter how he gets them.
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by random-d View Post
    Yeah. I get your point, you're not wrong. But the fact that Marner has indeed played 35 more games than Matthews during that span should not be ignored. At the end of the day you want the guy with more points (depending on your team and league), it doesn't matter how he gets them.
    However, If it's like Malkin kinda thing, you gotta think what you can get on your FA market.

Matthews + "Guy you pick up on the FA" = what you get from Matthews. So Matthews 70pts in 60games + Player A 15pts in 22games from FA = what you get.

Deeeeep leagues, you want healthy top players. Shallow leagues, injury plagued guys aren't that big of an issue. Especially if you have IR+ in your league.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Ninja

Don't be greedy. AM34 > Marner any day.

This is a solid sell high on Marner. Marner is good but he's not this good - he's just on a run. It's a no brainer.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by blayze View Post
    Don't be greedy. AM34 > Marner any day.

This is a solid sell high on Marner. Marner is good but he's not this good - he's just on a run. It's a no brainer.
    Still think this? lol. I agreed back then for sure as indicated above. I guess I'm more interested in the fact that Marner did infact keep up his pace.
    What ended up happening here for the OP? Korber?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Still think this? lol. I agreed back then for sure as indicated above. I guess I'm more interested in the fact that Marner did infact keep up his pace.
    What ended up happening here for the OP? Korber?
    I still stand by it... less conviction than December, but my answer hasn't changed.

My biggest concern about AM is that he's going to turn into a bandaid boy, but based on trade value he will continue to fetch more than Marner.

Dobber Sports Padawan

The injury thing is so overblown. He's had bad luck with injuries early on but it doesn't mean he's going to be injured every year for the next 15 years.

Everybody said Barkov was a bandaid boy too and look at him now on pace for 90pts or more. Only missed a couple of games last season and I don't think any this year. Congrats to everybody who bought low on him or drafted him for great value because of a perceived injury ''problem''
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner