Thread: is this the beginning of the end of Melnyk?

Dobber Sports Icon

Default is this the beginning of the end of Melnyk?

https://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Trev...Isnt/258/96327

it would seem that if this goes through, #Melnykout will be a realization. as its laid out in thearticle EM's options get pretty limited of hes not behind the Lebreton Flats development. Although i suppose there's nothing that says he can't own the team and pay an exorbitant fee to have them play in teh new arena. is this not how the Islanders are doing it at Barclays Centre?
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Guru

Default Re: is this the beginning of the end of Melnyk?

I think Melnyk has said in the past that he will not use an arena he doesn't own.

Personally, I think he's trying to move the team. All his moves kind of point that way. He can go to the league and say "look, I put together an exciting young team and people won't attend games. I spent all this money to try to get a downtown arena, and my business partner screwed me over. I made a competitive offer to the star of the team, but he refused to sign and then we had to trade him to San Jose. The city's biggest employer, the federal government, is not allowed to buy tickets. Etc etc."

Even though each one can be logically countered, when he adds them up, he can argue that he gets no support in Ottawa and would be better off elsewhere.

I'm not saying the league would buy any of that, but that's just how it feels to me. Run a team down to the ground to make it easier to move.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    I'm not saying the league would buy any of that, but that's just how it feels to me. Run a team down to the ground to make it easier to move.
    That sounds like a great movie plot. Works better if the owner is an attractive female, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDZ_lSJjgvk
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

The Great One

I don't think the NHL BOG will allow a team to move if somebody else with deep pockets is willing to keep the team in Ottawa...Relocation is, generally speaking, a last resort.