17 21.25%
  • Sitting out for a full year

31 38.75%
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Nylander

The Great One

Default Re: Nylander

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    According to Capfriendly, the contract is 6 years and 45 mil. Which means he signed for 7.5/yr, that becomes a 6.9/yr AAV for the remaining years after this. For the “Nylander has no leverage” crowd, I don’t know if anyone was expecting him to get the same as Tarasenko and $750k more than Pastrnak
    people only care about his cap hit, nobody gives a rats ass about anything else. he got pastrnak money, which is the bar set by the leafs.

Dobber Sports Sage

According to Capfriendly, the contract is 6 years and 45 mil. Which means he signed for 7.5/yr, that becomes a 6.9/yr AAV for the remaining years after this. For the “Nylander has no leverage” crowd, I don’t know if anyone was expecting him to get the same as Tarasenko and $750k more than Pastrnak
    I agree. Nylander had way more leverage than virtually anyone gave him credit for, and the longer it went the more he had. The team had more to lose in face value and future contract negotiations and he used that by holding out literally as long as possible. Leafs had to get this done and to their credit they did.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    people only care about his cap hit, nobody gives a rats ass about anything else. he got pastrnak money, which is the bar set by the leafs.
    Well you’re wrong, because even by cap hit he got more than Pastrnak lol. Weren’t the Leafs offering 6?

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    There are no guarantees but you seem to know with 100% certainty that Toronto is the absolutely best possible spot for Nylander and it's impossible for him to have more success somewhere else? That's an interesting way to contradict yourself. Your examples Drouin and Domi had better results after they were moved but somehow that's impossible to happen with Nylander. OK then.
    Not quite. I don't know with 100% certainty. I don't believe I said that, but I do know that when your career starts off as good as it has, why consider going elsewhere? Elsewhere isn't going to guarantee that your career will be as good as it started out. The grass isn't usually greener on the other side.

Drouin and Domi were traded because it wasn't working out with their original teams like it has with Nylander. They found a better situation with their new teams. Not rocket science.

Anyways, Nylander figured it out. Unlike some members.

The Great One

Well you’re wrong, because even by cap hit he got more than Pastrnak lol. Weren’t the Leafs offering 6?
    6.6 versus 6.9 - it's pastrnak's money if you go by percentage of cap. and that's how agents negotiate.

Every agent will use 7.5 as the comparable. Every agent.

- - - Updated - - -

Nylander got more money by sitting out. Plain and simple. Sorry if that hurts people. He used the only leverage he had and it worked.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Leads got a better cap hit by letting him sit out for 2mths... expect this to be exploited by other teams in the future... or until the CA fixes the loophole
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

Nylander getting $7.5M for his services is more than most expected.

The Leafs got a lower cap hit in years 2-6 because they waited this long before signing the deal.

You could very easily say it's win-win but I think it's pretty safe to say the player won this battle. It just so happens that the CBA allows the team to come out looking pretty good here as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    Nylander getting $7.5M for his services is more than most expected.

The Leafs got a lower cap hit in years 2-6 because they waited this long before signing the deal.

You could very easily say it's win-win but I think it's pretty safe to say the player won this battle. It just so happens that the CBA allows the team to come out looking pretty good here as well.
    It obviously hurts people to admit this for some reason, but Nylander had leverage, used his leverage, and won. Leafs homers won’t see it this way but it’s pretty obvious to the rest of the entire rest of the hockey world

Dobber Sports Deity

Not only did the player win, but other players coming due next year will most likely use this type of leverage as well. It's going to be interesting.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Big Daddy

Call me friggen crazy, but is it aloud to be said that both parties won here? Nylander got the money he wanted while Dubas kept the cap hit under $7M per which I believe was apart of his original “We can and we will.” plan.

Dobber Sports Juggernaut

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    Call me friggen crazy, but is it aloud to be said that both parties won here? Nylander got the money he wanted while Dubas kept the cap hit under $7M per which I believe was apart of his original “We can and we will.” plan.
    Agreed. Not sure how the Leafs lost at all on this deal? They used their wealth and CBA loopholes to lock up their asset for a cap hit they can likely fit in to the “we can/we will” and/or they signed Willy to a very tradeable contract. Silly got paid, but not the $8 million he was elegedly asking for.

Win win in my books.

The Great One

It's all about cap%. Some people haven't realized that yet

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    So you're saying it was Dubas' plan all along to wait until December 1st before putting pen to paper? Because that was the only reason they kept it under $7M - the CBA loophole that allows them to have a lower AAV in out-years if you wait as long as possible before signing the deal.

The Leafs lost the negotiation. There's absolutely no question about that. They still ended up with a contract that works for them. Good for them but they didn't actually win anything, they just exploited a CBA loophole and took a huge gamble waiting this long before signing the deal. You can say that the end-result was a win-win but for the negotiation, there was only one winner, and it wasn't Dubas.

Big Daddy

How did I say it was Dubas’ plan all along to wait until December 1? It takes two parties to negotiate and to come to an end result. Dubas couldn’t force Nylander to sign a contract. You agree that the end result was a win-win, so it was a win-win. People say Leafs homers have their judgment clouded on these forums, same can be said for Leafs haters.