Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Flyers trade for a healthy veteran goalie

The Great One

Default Re: Flyers trade for a healthy veteran goalie

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    I doubt they want Elliott back for Schneider.
    Elliot makes under $3 million and is a pending UFA. Schneider has three more years after this one at $6 million. I would be surprised if Jersey took a short-term contract like Elliot if it meant getting out from the $18 million owed to Schneider.

I'd love to see Bob in Philly. That would be something. But I don't think Columbus would do it unless it was a sign-and-trade, with a more significant return. Columbus doesn't have anyone else that can play net right now and I just don't think they'd throw this season away.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Oooooo. I like those thoughts on Bob being a sign&trade candidate. Or maybe Panarin. Though, I think PHI needs a goalie AND a veteran defenseman too.

OK... not Philly - but how about this for a trade:

to CBJ: Sebastian Aho (RFA) & Scott Darling's contract
    to CAR: Bobrovsky (UFA*) AND Panarin (UFA*)

*ONE of Bob or Panarin MUST be fully extended, 7 or 8 years worth.

Dobber Sports All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You don't think Talbot is an option?
    I think that would be as much a gamble as their last few signings. They have to stop taking everyone else's throw aways and get a goalie who is not on his last legs or mentally fragile. There are reasons why teams let them go.

Dobber Sports Sage

Crawford?

He's about to turn 34 and the Hawks brass has never loved him. He's playing great and making multiple high-difficulty saves every game.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Just curious - what is the general summary of this article:
    http://www2.philly.com/flyers/chuck-...-20181206.html

(I've "reached my limit" and can't view.)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Just curious - what is the general summary of this article:
    http://www2.philly.com/flyers/chuck-...-20181206.html

(I've "reached my limit" and can't view.)
    Opening paragraph brags up Chuck Flether's trade to acquire Dubnyk and how he has been the franchise goalie since that trade.

Then it discussed the way that Fletcher and his staff made the decision and how Minnesota was a better structured team than where Dubnyk had previously played.

Fletcher in regards to his success with acquiring Dubnyk :
    “You had to do your work. You had to get lucky, in the sense that he was available. Still, honestly, sometimes you feel like you have a blindfold on and you’re throwing a dart.”
    -

Then the article changes to the Flyers:

- Goaltending for the Flyers has been the achilles heal since the Ron Hextall days.
    - Hextall was no more successful than any previous GM's in ending the goalie troubles.
    - Hextall expected two > 30 year old goalies who had surgeries in the summer to be healthy and get the Flyers through the season.
    - They argue that this is the worst the Flyers have ever been in the goalie situation
    - The Flyers rank last in Save % although they have only given up the 3rd fewest 'High-Danger scoring chances' in the league (Per Natural Stat Trick)

Then it turns into how Fletcher is going to approach the process and some of his comments (not quoted - just summarized)

- You usually can only get a back-up goalie from another team and they are hard to evaluate because they don't play a tonne.
    - Analytics is helping to project goaltender

Then it talks about in-house options

- Fletcher may not have to do much because he has Hart in house.

Wednesday afternoon to watch Carter Hart and the Phantoms, Fletcher dispelled the idea of promoting Hart from the minors anytime soon. “I really believe goaltenders need seasoning,” he said. And counting on Elliott and/or Neuvirth to play at a high level over a prolonged period seems a fool’s errand, based on their recent injury histories.
    - Then it talks about Stolarz and how well he is playing and it quotes Fletcher saying that whoever is playing best should be the goalie.

Ending Paragraph:

At the moment, that’s Stolarz, and that’s why waiting, not rushing into a major change or changes, was always the best course of action for the Flyers after their awful start this season. Why not learn a little more about a still-young goalie who only now is getting his big chance? It’s as appealing an option as trying to hit a bull’s-eye blindfolded, in the hope that someone will think you brilliant.
    So basically it is giving Fletcher an 'out' if he doesn't make a big move right away and just takes the exact same approach that Hextall was taking.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Wow - thanks!
    (some REP headed your way!)

Dobber Sports Titan

Firing Hextall because he took time, then applauding Fletcher for taking time.

The only reason why I suggested Elliott for Schneider is Elliott is a UFA, and if they're serious about Kinkaid as the starter (who is a UFA), they need to get rid of Schneiders contract in a realistic standpoint of having 10+mill in your goaltending doesn't equal success.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    Firing Hextall because he took time, then applauding Fletcher for taking time.

The only reason why I suggested Elliott for Schneider is Elliott is a UFA, and if they're serious about Kinkaid as the starter (who is a UFA), they need to get rid of Schneiders contract in a realistic standpoint of having 10+mill in your goaltending doesn't equal success.
    This is annoying me at the moment. Ultimately it sounds to me that the problem was Hextall not kissing ass enough to the other management by keeping them in the loop for every little thing and Fletcher will.

http://www2.philly.com/flyers/flyers...-20181204.html

Though to be fair to Fletcher he should take his time to understand what is there personnel wise for players, coaches, etc because if he just starts chopping heads things will likely be uglier than they need to be.
    10 team full keeper roto 4C/LW/RW,6D,2G

G,A,P,+/-,PIM,SOG,GWG,PPP,SHP,Hit,Blk,FOW
    W,GAA,SV,SV%,SHO

C-Aho,Couturier,Matthews,O'Reilly
    LW-Ehlers,Giroux,Panarin,Rust
    RW-Kucherov,Palmieri,Pastrnak,Wilson
    D-Burns,Carlson,Gudas,Josi,Nurse,Pietrangelo
    G-Fleury,F.Andersen,Markstrom
    BN-Zacha

Under 250 gp farm
    Beaucage,Berggren,Bokk,Brisson,Chytil,Dugan,Foerst er,Foote,Frost,Grewe,K.Johnson,Lindblom,Mikheyev,N ybeck,Peterka,Pospisil,Protas,Ranta,Raty,Stankoven ,Suzuki,Tuomaala
    Alexeyev,Brook,Foote,Graves,Poirier,Sanderson,Seid er,Wilde,Woo,Zamula
    Berdin,Brossoit,Commesso,Ersson,Husso,Knight,Koche tkov,Lafontaine,Oettinger,Primeau,Sandstrom,Stolar z,Ustimenko,Vladar

Dobber Sports Demi-God

*The whole thing was about some people needing to LOOK like they are doing something*

The Flyer ownership has some guy appointed to his own position.
    And likely somebody questions whether HE was doing anything because enough (stupid) fans probably started clamoring that the team was disappointing.
    Then he passes a directive down to Holmgren "Do something, or you are fired".
    And then Holmgren passes directive down to Hextall "Do something, or you are fired".
    And Hextall says "No. We wait. This is part of the plan."
    Something had to give.

It all boils down to a STUPID ownership rep (Dave Scott) thinking that a few of the DUMBER base of Flyers fan opinions meant jack shit.
    THIS is a problem when you have a non-hockey person representing the owners.
    Dave Scott knows nothing about hockey. (I saw this first-hand in Atlanta, where the Atlanta ownership didn't have a single person who knew hockey. Not. One.)
    They don't know when something is really a problem. And then they think enough people complaining is reason to make a move.

This would've never happened when Ed Snider was in charge.

Comcast's board of directors who look after the Flyers should be considering firing Dave Scott.
    That's what SHOULD happen next.
    Find a ****ing hockey-mind to understand if the team is in good shape or not for the future.

(FWIW - yes, I'm ****ing bitter about the Hextall firing. I've been a Flyers fan since 1985. This current team's future is probably the SECOND-MOST excited I've ever been about a Flyers team. More than the 80s Flyers teams that were bound to get dominated in a Cup by the Oilers. Maybe a bit less than when the Legion of Doom was firing on all cylinders... but I was in high school then and didn't understand prospect-systems. ****. ****. I mean, this team is all geared up for the future. It has top 9 solid forwards, high-end scorers, a dynamic young-D-core and a top 3 prospect goalie. ****, what more could a team want for youth... and they FIRE the GM that practically stocked it all. ****, just **** that. **** you Dave Scott. I know that all my ****s would be blanked out so I don't mind typing them. I'm done now. One more. ****.)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

*The whole thing was about some people needing to LOOK like they are doing something*

The Flyer ownership has some guy appointed to his own position.
    And likely somebody questions whether HE was doing anything because enough (stupid) fans probably started clamoring that the team was disappointing.
    Then he passes a directive down to Holmgren "Do something, or you are fired".
    And then Holmgren passes directive down to Hextall "Do something, or you are fired".
    And Hextall says "No. We wait. This is part of the plan."
    Something had to give.

It all boils down to a STUPID ownership rep (Dave Scott) thinking that a few of the DUMBER base of Flyers fan opinions meant jack shit.
    THIS is a problem when you have a non-hockey person representing the owners.
    Dave Scott knows nothing about hockey. (I saw this first-hand in Atlanta, where the Atlanta ownership didn't have a single person who knew hockey. Not. One.)
    They don't know when something is really a problem. And then they think enough people complaining is reason to make a move.

This would've never happened when Ed Snider was in charge.

Comcast's board of directors who look after the Flyers should be considering firing Dave Scott.
    That's what SHOULD happen next.
    Find a ****ing hockey-mind to understand if the team is in good shape or not for the future.

Amen brother! Amen!!

The Great One

^Oooooo. I like those thoughts on Bob being a sign&trade candidate. Or maybe Panarin. Though, I think PHI needs a goalie AND a veteran defenseman too.

OK... not Philly - but how about this for a trade:

to CBJ: Sebastian Aho (RFA) & Scott Darling's contract
    to CAR: Bobrovsky (UFA*) AND Panarin (UFA*)

*ONE of Bob or Panarin MUST be fully extended, 7 or 8 years worth.
    Just noticed this; the problem from CLB point of view is that they have nobody to replace BOB in the short-run. Korpisalo hasn't showed enough yet. For this to work, I think CLB needs to also find the equivalent of Curtis McEllenhey - they'd need a short-term stop gap in goal. Maybe someone like Keumper, if Arizona has faith in Raanta and Hill, for example.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

^Yeah, I agree. GM Jarmo would catch too much heat with CBJ playing so well.
    (I had that on my post in page1, so I decided not to rehash it again in another post of this thread).

Now, if they happened to fall out of playoffs... then yeah, could totally happen.

Dobber Sports Master

Is Schneider just rusty from lack of playing time while easing back into game shape after missing so much time or is he washed up ?

over the past handful of years theres been some goalies that looked as though they were ready for the glue factory yet they bounced back in big ways - have to wonder of Schneider just needs some time

The Great One

Quote Originally Posted by butch View Post
    Is Schneider just rusty from lack of playing time while easing back into game shape after missing so much time or is he washed up ?

over the past handful of years theres been some goalies that looked as though they were ready for the glue factory yet they bounced back in big ways - have to wonder of Schneider just needs some time
    The New Jersey writer in the Athletic did a player by player review in late November. Here is his write up on CS, to the extent it's helpful:

Cory Schneider

The numbers: 0-5-0, .863 save percentage, 4.28 goals against average

What stands out: The puck is going in his net too much. If he was closer to .900, there might be certain aspects of his game worth zeroing in on. His save percentage on high-danger chances is tied for the worst in the league (.667), and a team just can’t have one of every three shots going in from there. There have been long stretches in each of his past two starts where he looked a lot more like his old self. The Devils are almost certainly nearing the point where they have to at least consider letting him try to work things out in Binghamton.