Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Flyers trade for a healthy veteran goalie

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Flyers trade for a healthy veteran goalie

With Holmgren now functioning as the GM and willing to look for a solution to the goalie injury situation before hiring a new GM, he's likely to make a deal himself.

He strongly prefers veteran goalies and veterans in general. I see him looking to also possibly add a veteran to the blueline, and deal from the youth surplus the Flyers have. They have cap room for this year, but would want to send a goalie back to not have to waive an expensive one. Pickard is on waivers, and that tells me something is up to clear the roster space.

Flyers activate Michal Neuvirth from IR, and send him and a young defenseman to Edmonton for Cam Talbot (assuming Flyers are an okay destination for him - NMC) and Jason Garrison.

Note that I don't think this is a good deal, but I imagine him doing something like this.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Flyers trade for a healthy veteran goalie

Maybe I am out in left field, but considering how well Kinkaid has played, I can see NJ considering trading Schneider as well. He's still got three more years past this one at $6M, and he's riding the pine. I am not necessarily saying Philly would be the destination, but I can see Schneider being dangled to teams.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Maybe I am out in left field, but considering how well Kinkaid has played, I can see NJ considering trading Schneider as well. He's still got three more years past this one at $6M, and he's riding the pine. I am not necessarily saying Philly would be the destination, but I can see Schneider being dangled to teams.
    They clearly rather Kinkaid, so moving that 6mill off the books to sign Kinkaid has to be the NJD plan.

I could see even Schneider for Elliott. Straight across.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by 2014olympicgold View Post
    They clearly rather Kinkaid, so moving that 6mill off the books to sign Kinkaid has to be the NJD plan.

I could see even Schneider for Elliott. Straight across.
    I doubt they want Elliott back for Schneider.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Whoever the GM is... will do something.

It's a total win-win for a new GM.
    If they make a move and the Flyers still play poorly "Well, the team was built for the future and One Move isn't going to fix it."
    If newGM makes a move and the Flyers play great "Well, the team just needed a subtle tweak. This should've been done a long time ago."

The Flyers... I mean, this team had both 10-game win streaks and 10-game losing streaks last year. (IIRC).
    They are going to look great at times and poor at times.
    They are simply a streaky team with huge upside and huge downside.
    This happens with crap goaltending.

Trading for different crap goaltending is going to have the same results.

But, back to point.
    What I CAN see happening is PHI trading for a solid goalie on a expiring UFA.

1. Mike Smith (CGY). Calgary has shown they are all but done with Smith. He's big, he's Canadian, he's kind of "meh"... that's the Flyers M.O. in net over past 20 years.
    2. Cam Ward (CHI). Ditto. Is this a good trade for PHI? No. But it is plausible.
    3. Jacob Markstrom (VAN). I think VAN might try to get Nilsson on books for 2 more years at decent price. If they can, Markstrom could be moved.
    and... wait for it...
    4. Sergei Bobrovsky (CBJ). One wouldn't think Holmgren would want to avoid these things (letting Bob go) coming back to haunt him... but PHI did sign JVR after after letting him go for nothing. Maybe they are willing to do same with Bob. CBJ has basically shown their hand that Bob and Panarin are about to walk. PHI could offer their 2019 1st (which could be top 10), a prospect (Frost?), Alex Lyon ++ and maybe land both Bob and Panarin... though I think they'd only part with Bob. However, as long as CBJ is humming along - I don't think JK would make this move as he'd undergo HEAVY scrutiny for CBJ doing anything but winning a cup.

I think it'll be Mike Smith - within a month.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Pengwin7 View Post
    Whoever the GM is... will do something.

It's a total win-win for a new GM.
    If they make a move and the Flyers still play poorly "Well, the team was built for the future and One Move isn't going to fix it."
    If newGM makes a move and the Flyers play great "Well, the team just needed a subtle tweak. This should've been done a long time ago."

The Flyers... I mean, this team had both 10-game win streaks and 10-game losing streaks last year. (IIRC).
    They are going to look great at times and poor at times.
    They are simply a streaky team with huge upside and huge downside.
    This happens with crap goaltending.

Trading for different crap goaltending is going to have the same results.

But, back to point.
    What I CAN see happening is PHI trading for a solid goalie on a expiring UFA.

1. Mike Smith (CGY). Calgary has shown they are all but done with Smith. He's big, he's Canadian, he's kind of "meh"... that's the Flyers M.O. in net over past 20 years.
    2. Cam Ward (CHI). Ditto. Is this a good trade for PHI? No. But it is plausible.
    3. Jacob Markstrom (VAN). I think VAN might try to get Nilsson on books for 2 more years at decent price. If they can, Markstrom could be moved.
    and... wait for it...
    4. Sergei Bobrovsky (CBJ). One wouldn't think Holmgren would want to avoid these things (letting Bob go) coming back to haunt him... but PHI did sign JVR after after letting him go for nothing. Maybe they are willing to do same with Bob. CBJ has basically shown their hand that Bob and Panarin are about to walk. PHI could offer their 2019 1st (which could be top 10), a prospect (Frost?), Alex Lyon ++ and maybe land both Bob and Panarin... though I think they'd only part with Bob. However, as long as CBJ is humming along - I don't think JK would make this move as he'd undergo HEAVY scrutiny for CBJ doing anything but winning a cup.

I think it'll be Mike Smith - within a month.
    You don't think Talbot is an option?

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    You don't think Talbot is an option?
    I think PHI would consider him.
    I just think Chiarelli is too proud a GM to trade a player that he traded for and then extended.
    So I think he'd ask too much in return for PHI to be interested.

(But yes, Talbot fits what PHI would want to target.)

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

interesting food for thought.

Not one of these options excite me as a Flyer fan, but I guess thats typical for a Flyers goalie.

I just hope they don't give Bobrovsky a Bryzgalov type contract and screw themselves for a few more years in the department.

Short term fixes... short term, cause our long-term fix is coming in a couple years.

Dobber Sports Initiate

Bob to PHI for Elliott/Frost/Sandstrom.

And Elliott outplays Bob the rest of the way. Cuz Philly.
    14-team Keeper w/custom salary cap
    Keep btw 12-14, excl. Minors
    Skater cats (weight): G (1.75), A (1.75), +/- (0.75), Hits (0.75), BS (0.75)
    Goalie cats: W (0.25), GAA (1.00), SV% (1.00)

C : Colton Kuznetsov Frost WKarlsson ---MBourque Rossi MSavoie Fantilli Carlsson
    LW: Caufield Hagel Nichushkin EKane---Musty
    RW: Tippett Necas Brown Kakko---Yurov Lysell Stankoven ECowan
    D : Theodore Seider Addison Klingberg Gostisbehere Fehervary---Edvinsson
    G : Talbot Korpisalo ---Commesso Augustine
    Bench/IR: Chabot Hart Novak Andersen

2024 entry draft picks: 3 1sts, 1 2nd
    2025: 1 1st, 1 2nd, 1 3rd
    Fantrax IHL Champion: 2018/19, 2015/16, 2011/12

Administrator

You lost me at healthy veteran goalie

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Does Scott Darling meet any of this criteria? He was just waived by Carolina.

Carolina must not want him, or must be brave, cause they have to know the Flyers need a goalie. haha

Dobber Sports Master

"Today in sport news, the Philadelphia Flyers did the right thing and showed great restraint by not making a knee jerk move to acquire a goalie." Just kidding, that would never happen.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Does Scott Darling meet any of this criteria? He was just waived by Carolina.

Carolina must not want him, or must be brave, cause they have to know the Flyers need a goalie. haha
    He doesn't exactly meet the criteria because Holmgren can't lose a deal for him. However, I can see Holmgren claiming him.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Stud

Schneider is still recovering from major hip surgery, so moving him makes no sense for the Devils unless they are giving up on the season and have a plan to replace him for the next few seasons...

I think Jonathan Quick goes to Philly when all is said and done. LA is going nowhere and can use one or two kids from the Flyerz system
    Consider Sim Hockey because guys who play shutdown minutes, deflect shots and clear creases build championships. Yet in fantasy they litter the unwanted UFA lists.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
    Schneider is still recovering from major hip surgery, so moving him makes no sense for the Devils unless they are giving up on the season and have a plan to replace him for the next few seasons...

I think Jonathan Quick goes to Philly when all is said and done. LA is going nowhere and can use one or two kids from the Flyerz system
    If Schneider was still recovering he'd still be on the IR. He's recovered, just struggling to find his game.