Thread: Handcuffs

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Default Handcuffs

Fairly new to fantasy football but i have read a few articles about top handcuffs to own.

Now that we are getting close to the playoffs is it a good strategy to ditch some of the depth (guys who you will not play) and make sure you have the handcuffs to some of the top RBs? Im currently in 1st place and have a playoff spot locked up. Dropped Godwin to grab Ekeler and also dropped a depth player to grab Ware (i own Hunt but not Gordon).

I guess what im asking is if this is important/good strategy? What do you guys do?
    Fantrax: 7 keepers - Goals, Assists, PPP, Hits, Blocks, Shots, +/-, PM, Wins, Shutouts.

Forwards: McDavid, Guentzel, A. Svechnikov, B Tkachuk

Defense: Hamilton, Carlson, Chychrun

Goalies: ​Swayman

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Re: Handcuffs

If you have a playoff spot locked up and already have a pretty set lineup, it's a great strategy. If anything ever happened to Gordon or Hunt, those two guys would immediately step in to a RB1 situation in a great offense (I'd also add Malcolm Brown to the list). At this point in the season, with most BYE weeks out of the way, they're better upside investments than a lot of those one-week wonders, or high floor/low ceiling guys.

Think of them like insurance--you may not ever use them, but they'll definitely pay off if the opportunity arises that you'll need them. And if you roster them before they're valuable, it saves you from having to fight people on the waiver wire for them--where undoubtedly they'd be top commodities.
    Yahoo, 1 yr, 10-team, H2H Pts
    G 5, A 2.5, +/- 0.25, SOG 0.5, PPG 1.7, PPA 0.85, SHG 3.4, SHA 1.7, PIM -0.7, HIT 1, BLK 1, GWG 2, FOW .5, FOL -0.2
    GS 1, W 5, L -2, GA -1.15, SA 0.10, SV 0.45, SO 2.5

C (2): O'Reilly, Kopitar
    LW (2): Draisatl, B Tkachuk
    RW (2): Stamkos, J Miller
    D (3): Nurse, Pulock, Risto
    Bench: Horvat, Glendening, Parayko, Seguin (IR)
    G: Shesterkin, Blackwood, Koskinen

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Handcuffs

I'd rather add Brown than Ware. Brown has actually performed better than Gurley in that offense, but the matchup difference is obvious, but McVay and that line has made Gurley amazing, Brown would step in and be an instant RB1. Ware...Prolly RB2. Hunt's been banged up mid game before and Ware didn't get the touches, it went to a more spread offense and throwing happened a lot more. Hill would step in for rushes too.

Your bench is used for Byes and depth. Come playoffs, all the byes are done, and you should know who your starters are. Adding handcuffs helps protect injury issues.

Handcuffs are a solid option in football.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll