Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bold or Stupid?

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Bold or Stupid?

I'm in a keeper cap league where the contracts are basically real-life, meaning that RFAs can be offer-sheeted and UFAs are lost if they don't resign. We use AAV. Goalie cats are W, SV, SV%, GAA, SO. We start two goalies a night and most teams roster three.

I've got Helle, Elliott, and Neuvrith on the big-league team. Neuvy can be dropped for free, with no need to spend on a buyout.

Craig Anderson is the only decent goalie available on waivers. His save totals are insane and his win totals are pretty good because he starts so often. I'm thinking of dropping Neuvy for Anderson. I could also give the spot to Brossoit (he's in the minors), but if Elliott loses full custody of the net when he comes back, I'll be hard up for saves and wins, I think.

Has the time come to claim Anderson? Can he keep this up? Are the wins and insane save stats worth the hurt he will do to GAA and SV%?

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: Bold or Stupid?

Are all players free buyouts? Or to drop Anderson would there be a consequence?
    What are the rest of your categories (ie how much weight do GAA and SV% hold if you were to punt them?
    Also, is it H2H or Roto? And how many G slots do you have?
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Novice

No - we get one free buyout under 3M and I would use that on Neuvy. Anderson's buyout would cost me 40% of the remaining total salary on the contract. There are 16 total cats - so goalie cats are 5/16. It's H2H - most teams roster 3G. There are 2 roster spots for Gs per night.

Dobber Sports Titan

I almost wonder if it's worth buying out Neuvirth, and adding a F. Just dominate skater categories, and win GAA/Sv% most weeks with Helle.

How many starts per week do you need? If you had the WPG tandem, you should be okay save for the Christmas week. So you could look to trade Elliott away too fr another skater com the new year.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!

Dobber Sports Novice

Well, it's two starts minimum to have the G cats count in any given week... but the million dollar question is how many starts per week you need to win W and SV. With the WPG tandem and Elliott, would I not get destroyed in W and SV by teams with three starters or teams with two starters and a 1A or 1B? Or has Elliott won enough of the net for that not to be a concern? Is it ever not a concern?

I guess I have three options ROS: Helle-Elliott-Anderson, Helle-Brossoit-Anderson, and Helle-Brossoit-Elliott. Which is best?

(BTW, I've tried the 2G strategy in the past and I find it doesn't work because the extra skater seldom gets into the lineup, unless he's an off-night guy).

Dobber Sports Titan

If you find it doesn't work for you, perfectly fine. I run one goalie in leagues fairly often actually, and to pretty great effect. You already have the solid workhorse you need to win GAA and Sv% a fair share. Just depends how you feel about the rest of the roster allocation. It won't work if you have one foot in and one out though.

If you're set on running three goalies, assuming you can use the Anderson cap elsewhere to make a trade or something, I would run with Helle, Brossoit, Elliott.

Otherwise, make a trade for a third starter and lock up goalie categories. How many teams in your league?

Dobber Sports Novice

Yeah, I'm pretty set on running three for a few team-specific reasons and because I don't trust Elliott's consistency (both in terms of starts and quality). There are 14 teams so trading for any starter is difficult - you have to give up a lot, and even then guys are reluctant to trade. And yes, I can always use that cap elsewhere.

So basically, Anderson (and the boost in SV and W) is not worth my while because his GAA and SV% will offset Helle's contributions too much, especially with Elliott in the mix?

Dobber Sports Genius

Saves as a CAT. Yes, please. You can't run with Hellebuyck and two injured Flyers goalies. Pick up another starter, and if it has to be Anderson then so be it.

(This post feels familiar... hmmm)
    Last edited by Moses; December 10, 2018 at 12:16 AM.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Saves as a CAT. Yes, please. You can't run with Hellebuyck and two injured Flyers goalies. PIck up another starter, and if it has to be Anderson then so be it.

(This post feels familiar... hmmm)
    Not my style, but everyone has different strategies. That's the fun

Dobber Sports Novice

Yes - this is a longstanding issue! In fairness, I tried several Elliott-plus proposals, and wasn't finding a fit. I thought that with the one free buyout I should try Philadelphia and see how things went. Boy was I wrong.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Eskimo Brother View Post
    Not my style, but everyone has different strategies. That's the fun
    I agree that it is not ideal, but having the Flyers goalies killing you every week is also less than ideal. Sometimes you have to take what you can get, and at the moment, that is Craig Anderson.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominpat Roysek View Post
    I guess I have three options ROS: Helle-Elliott-Anderson, Helle-Brossoit-Anderson, and Helle-Brossoit-Elliott. Which is best?
    I would go Helle-Brossoit-Anderson and sidestep the Flyers completely.

The root problem from your summer thread about this has still not been addressed. Neither Elliott or Anderson is the 2nd starter that you truly want. While I like the idea of Hellebuyck + a tandem it is not working having the Flyers tandem as they are both hurt and Neuvirth may never come back. If you are unable to lock down a better tandem then having the Winnipeg tandem + Anderson, who as you say sees the net most night and gets a ton of shots against him is a better option than what you currently have. As it sits now, Anderson is the 12th ranked goalie with your CATS. In a 14 team league where everyone tries to roster three goalies, adding the 12th ranked goalie improves your team.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I would go Helle-Brossoit-Anderson and sidestep the Flyers completely.

The root problem from your summer thread about this has still not been addressed.
    You're right, it hasn't. The problem has been trying to move Elliott. It just hasn't worked out and I guess my expectations might have been too high.

I like the idea of sidestepping the Flyers, and so I'll think about WPG-Anderson. That probably is my best option. And thanks for the advice, guys. Again

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I'd also avoid Neuvirth, as I said before in the other thread. Elliott should be the main guy, but as we see, he's hurt now. I'd expect him to be the main guy, especially with Neuvirth & Pickard crapping the bed totally. However, avoiding the Flyers goaltending is a good idea with limited roster spots. Anderson + Winnipeg is a better idea than Hellebuyck + 2 Flyers, but Anderson + Hellebuck + Elliott should also work okay.

Neuvirth has to go, and using the buyout might be okay, but he's also only under contract for the rest of this year, so it's not a big pill to swallow in a buyout. Do you have any other guys who may be better buyouts?

The best case for the Flyers is that Lyon plays well enough to be half of the tandem the rest of the year. I'm pretty confident Pickard won't do that.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Novice

I know, I know, but I couldn't resist given the questions on Brossoit. Anyway, the buyout is Neuvy for sure - no one else is worthy or eligible. Interesting that Elliott isn't getting more love relative to Anderson. He was good before he was hurt and is only out a couple of weeks.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

The issue with the Flyers is that Elliott is more injury prone than Anderson, and the Flyers have way more viable options in net that could get hot. Anderson is Ottawa's guy, unless he gets hurt.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.