Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Top 60 Fantasy Hockey Prospect Goalies

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Top 60 Fantasy Hockey Prospect Goalies

Interesting list. Is Ullmark really still a prospect anymore though?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Demi-God

UPL rising! kk-kk-kk! (that's me being cleverly agreeable 3 times!)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Interesting list. Is Ullmark really still a prospect anymore though?
    This is his first full season in the NHL and he's considered to be the goalie of the future in Buffalo, so why not?

He will probably graduate after this season, though.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Surprised to see Soderstrom listed at all. Injuries have wrecked his last two seasons.
    WHL (24-Team Daily H2H)
    Weighted Scoring: G(1),A(1),PPP(0.5),+/-(0.25), SOG/PIM/HIT/BLK(all 0.05), FOW-C(0.01)

Braham Pietasters
    C(3): Barkov, Seguin, N.Schmaltz
    LW(3): Gaudreau, Pacioretty, Hinostroza
    RW(3): Radulov, Mantha, Dadonov
    F(3): Bailey, Thornton, Vanek
    D(6): Josi, Jones, Krug, Leddy, Ellis, Miller
    G(1): Bishop (Sparks)
    Bench: T. Wilson (RW), Boyle (C), Pirri (C), Boyd (C)
    Farm: Myers (D), Husso (G), Soderstrom (G), Petersen (G), Anderson-Dolan (C), Pilut (D), Capobianco (D), Aho (D)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by glorybe23 View Post
    Surprised to see Soderstrom listed at all. Injuries have wrecked his last two seasons.
    They really have. People are still holding out hope he can realize some of that potential he showed during the four years prior to those injuries. I think he was pretty commonly ranked in the top 10 prior to those injuries. I was never as high on him as most but considering it's a top 60 list, I think he definitely deserves to be there based on his talents alone. I had him at No. 35.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    This is his first full season in the NHL and he's considered to be the goalie of the future in Buffalo, so why not?

He will probably graduate after this season, though.
    I guess I don't consider him a goalie of the future anymore when he's technically the goalie of today, already playing an important role in the NHL. Prospects are guys who aren't full time NHLers in my eyes but that's just me and the way I look at prospects.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Dobber's lists often carry players a couple months longer than some think it requires. He's mentioned in the comments before that he likes to be over sure he's sure a player won't be sent back down before they 'graduate' from the prospect list.

Heiskanen, Pionk, Dermott are all still listed on the Jan D rankings
    Strome, A. Johnsson, B. Tkachuk are still on the Forward rankings

There's no doubt they're all staying in the NHL. It's the nature of the prospect lists.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Star

What is the basis of the ranking for each of the contributors? Is it just talent? Or talent + opportunity? If the latter, it seems like the 3 guys that'll be competing for the crease in Columbus next year might be under-appreciated.

We love him (Panarin), he's a great player and he makes our team better, and if for some reason he doesn't want to stay here we'll move along and we'll be a strong team in the future as well. We hope he stays. We'll do our best to convince him and we'll see what happens.

The same goes for Sergei Bobrovsky. Obviously he's been here for all the success we've had, but we have some great young goaltenders coming. We have Joonas Korpisalo and Elvis Merzlikins and Veini Vehviläinen. Those guys, Merzlikins and Vehviläinen, are ready to play in North America next year, and whether they can replace Sergei Bobrovsky, those are going to be big shoes to fill since he's a two-time Vezina Trophy winner, but hey, I can't repeat it too many times. We'll do our best and that's all we can do, and there's nothing more we can do. Whatever they decide, we'll move along and life goes on."
    (article here)

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    What is the basis of the ranking for each of the contributors? Is it just talent? Or talent + opportunity? If the latter, it seems like the 3 guys that'll be competing for the crease in Columbus next year might be under-appreciated.

(article here)
    Everyone is allowed to use whichever basis they want. I personally don't see either Merzlikins or Vehvilainen jumping straight to the NHL, and there's good reason to think Columbus will acquire an NHL goalie when Bob is gone. Opportunity is nice but sometimes it gets overblown. If you put too much stock on it, it often backfires when the NHL team does something unexpected - or in that case, totally expected because it would be very unexpected to just hand the net to some guys who have never even played in the AHL.

Dobber Sports Star

I get where you're coming from Jokke on talent vs opportunity, but there are plenty of lists of goalies who have been relatively poorly regarded as prospects who have come out of nowhere to have significant fantasy value simply based on opportunity:

- Howard was perceived on these forums as an "meh" prospect, yet won the DET crease and was VERY fantasy relevant.
    - Dubnyk was also an afterthought, got bounced around and ran with it in Minny.
    - Quick was going to keep the seat warm for Super Prospect (TM) Bernier in LA.
    - Crawford was an NHL 1B with Niemi (!!!)
    - Bishop was a trade throw in, etc
    - Gillies and Parsons were the prospects to own in Calgary, not no-name Rittich
    - Binnington running with it in St Louis?
    - Delia in Chicago?
    - etc
    - etc

This cuts both ways... but, more than any other position in the NHL, for goaltenders opportunity is probably more important than pedigree. With goalies, it's opportunity rather than pedigree that grants opportunity whereas with skaters it's more pedigree on account of the shallow depth. It would be unheard of for two injuries on an NHL roster to mean that an AHL or ECHL skater gets a short-term shot at the top line or top defensive pair... but that's exactly the circumstance that happens in net, all the time.

Dobber Sports Pro

Delia at 55 is surprising to me. Seems like he's got the Blackhawks crease in his hands once Crawford moves on, unless he really fumbles the opportunity.

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by BreadManPanarin View Post
    Delia at 55 is surprising to me. Seems like he's got the Blackhawks crease in his hands once Crawford moves on, unless he really fumbles the opportunity.
    I agree with you. This is really a "goalie pedigree" list.

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by fantasyhockeygeek View Post
    I get where you're coming from Jokke on talent vs opportunity, but there are plenty of lists of goalies who have been relatively poorly regarded as prospects who have come out of nowhere to have significant fantasy value simply based on opportunity:

- Howard was perceived on these forums as an "meh" prospect, yet won the DET crease and was VERY fantasy relevant.
    - Dubnyk was also an afterthought, got bounced around and ran with it in Minny.
    - Quick was going to keep the seat warm for Super Prospect (TM) Bernier in LA.
    - Crawford was an NHL 1B with Niemi (!!!)
    - Bishop was a trade throw in, etc
    - Gillies and Parsons were the prospects to own in Calgary, not no-name Rittich
    - Binnington running with it in St Louis?
    - Delia in Chicago?
    - etc
    - etc

This cuts both ways... but, more than any other position in the NHL, for goaltenders opportunity is probably more important than pedigree. With goalies, it's opportunity rather than pedigree that grants opportunity whereas with skaters it's more pedigree on account of the shallow depth. It would be unheard of for two injuries on an NHL roster to mean that an AHL or ECHL skater gets a short-term shot at the top line or top defensive pair... but that's exactly the circumstance that happens in net, all the time.
    There are plenty of those examples, yes, but there are also hundreds of those guys who never amounted to anything. It's totally possible and that's why some of those guys are pretty high with not much talent. But banking on all mediocre guys to pan out is not going to bring much success either.

The Great One

A bump to this thread, just to say it's my all time favorite. This material is gold. Have you ever considered including this in the prospects report or the annual guide? This is absolute gold and just doesn't get the attention it deserves.

And for what its worth, I have the feeling that this list will be of my interest to people shortly before training camp (to look at the year forward), and then in march or so (to reflect on the current season)….

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    A bump to this thread, just to say it's my all time favorite. This material is gold. Have you ever considered including this in the prospects report or the annual guide? This is absolute gold and just doesn't get the attention it deserves.

And for what its worth, I have the feeling that this list will be of my interest to people shortly before training camp (to look at the year forward), and then in march or so (to reflect on the current season)….
    I've been quietly waiting for an update to these goalie prospect rankings, it's definitely a market inefficiency in fantasy hockey and I've been meaning to spend more time "scouting" up and coming goalies. With guys like Kochetkov and Konovalov coming out of nowhere after years of draft-eligibility makes me feel like there's a lot that traditional scouting and talent evaluation isn't capturing about goaltending relative to other positions. The more information out there, the better for all of us wannabe GMs.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin