Thread: Col Goalies

Dobber Sports Novice

Default Col Goalies

Varl has played well so far this season but after this year no longer under contract. Grub was signed to a three year deal but his numbers have been sub par so far.

Who you got starting for Col next year?

Dobber Sports Stud

Default Re: Col Goalies

Varly started the season well but has been pretty bad as of late. The team invested in Grubs and sees him as their goalie of the future so I think he'll get a chance to show them what he can do this year. If Grubs ends up having a poor season I would suspect that the team will sign another goalie to come in as a timeshare and challenge for the job next year (similar to what NYI and Carolina did this off-season). If Grubs finishes strong I think he'll come into next year as the clear-cut starter. I would be quite surprised if Varly was still on the team come next year.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Veteran

Pavel Francouz is playing well in the AHL also.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Quote Originally Posted by SergeP View Post
    Varly started the season well but has been pretty bad as of late. The team invested in Grubs and sees him as their goalie of the future so I think he'll get a chance to show them what he can do this year. If Grubs ends up having a poor season I would suspect that the team will sign another goalie to come in as a timeshare and challenge for the job next year (similar to what NYI and Carolina did this off-season). If Grubs finishes strong I think he'll come into next year as the clear-cut starter. I would be quite surprised if Varly was still on the team come next year.
    With all due respect, and not that I think you could be wrong, but I have to think there is some bias here since you own Grubauer. As a more impartial person, I think Varlamov is an elite goaltender when healthy and is the best option in Colorado. I could easily see him back with Colorado next year. They love Varlamov in Colorado. Grubauer should improve from a poor start of course.
    12 Team Roto., 30 Player (20 Keeper) Yahoo Dynasty

G, A, P, +/-, PIM, PPP, SOG, FW, HITS, BLK -- W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

4 - C/LW/RW
    6 - D
    3 - Util
    3 - G

C - Crosby, McDavid, O'Reilly, Couturier
    LW - Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Bennett, Fiala
    RW - Pastrnak, Kucherov, Caufield, Mangiapane
    Util - Lowry, Backstrom, McCann, Barzal, Pageau, E. Kane, Mercer, M. Foligno
    D - Dahlin, Karlsson, Hamilton, Dumba, Pulock, Dobson, Faulk, Romanov

G - Vasilevskiy, Bobrovsky, Hellebuyck, Bernier

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Schneider View Post
    With all due respect, and not that I think you could be wrong, but I have to think there is some bias here since you own Grubauer. As a more impartial person, I think Varlamov is an elite goaltender when healthy and is the best option in Colorado. I could easily see him back with Colorado next year. They love Varlamov in Colorado. Grubauer should improve from a poor start of course.
    Easy there, King Judgy. Feel free to disagree with the opinion but don't go assuming you know what my motives are or that your opinion is somehow superior to mine because I happen to own Grubauer in one of my leagues (FYI, I own Varly in another). Who loves Varlamov in Colorado? And if "they" love him so much why did "they" sign Grubauer to a starter deal rather than extending Varlamov in the off-season?

My comment was based on everything that's been written and discussed around the team's goalie situation leading up to the season. It's pretty clear that Colorado is looking to move off of Varly who is often injured and, in spite of what you may think, has significantly under-performed the massive contract the Avalanche gave him a few years ago when measured against just about any metric imaginable.

And hey, don't take my word for it, there's plenty of other well connected hockey folks who share the same opinion
    https://www.denverpost.com/2018/06/2...lipp-grubauer/

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/09...ado-avalanche/
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Varlamov is injury-prone, and has generally been about an average goalie in Colorado. He's had an elite year (13-14), a couple good years, some crappy years, and average years. The Avalanche brought in a younger goalie with a good track record as a backup to potentially be the guy moving forward.

Grubauer has no below-average years in the NHL. I think he's probably a better talent, and should take over if he shows the form he had in Washington, where he performed better as a backup than Varlamov did. I find it interesting that Grubauer is lined up to replace Varlmaov again; admittedly there was a year in between in Washington.

I think Grubauer is the most likely guy, followed by "somebody not in the system right now", followed by Varlamov, then Francouz. We've seen Varlamov's roller coaster before, and it's not good enough for a team with high aspirations.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Varlamov has been with the Avalanche for 8 seasons now and does not yet have a playoff series win to his name.
    While that may not be his fault, GMs sometimes simply want to move on and put their stamp on every aspect of the hockey club.

Regardless of Varly's skill-level vs. Grubauer... the Avs are probably looking elsewhere to change the club feeling from the past 7 years without a playoffs series win.

And yes, Francouz (AHL) has been playing very well.
    Grubauer/Francouz in 2019-2020 is very possible.

I could see Varlamov going back to Washington to tag-team with Holtby.
    I could also see Varly going to St.Louis, to give Ville Husso another 1-2 years in AHL. (Allen in STL is finito... it is falling apart for him)
    I think odds of COL re-signing him are only about 15%-25%.

Dobber Sports Novice

Thanks for input everyone!

Dobber Sports Expert

Good God. In the last 2 games Grubauer and Varly have allowed a combined 10 goals against on 35 shots.

2 months later what do you guys think about their situation? Do they even finish the season with the Varly/Grub combo?

edit: Wrong goal/shot total

Dobber Sports Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Good God. In the last 2 games Grubauer and Varly have allowed a combined 12 goals against on 36 shots.

2 months later what do you guys think about their situation? Do they even finish the season with the Varly/Grub combo?
    Unfortunately very few people in/around the organization are publicly talking about the goalie situation.. Because of how the top line is playing, they just continue to praise those 3 and discuss very little about the rest of the club.

Also, after last nights game against the flames, the big topic now is the "fight" between MacKinnon & Bednar.
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    Good God. In the last 2 games Grubauer and Varly have allowed a combined 10 goals against on 35 shots.

edit: Wrong goal/shot total
    Grubauer has been shockingly bad. Varlamov has been averagish, which is about what I expected out of him. I think they'd be willing to try and upgrade, but I'm not exactly sure who they can get that would be an upgrade.

Not a ton of upgrade goalies out there. Lehner (maybe if they like Grubauer in return?) Bobrovsky, a couple others.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Administrator

I think their decision is made already. Grubauer/Francouz next year.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust