Thread: William Karlsson + Murray for Gibson

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default William Karlsson + Murray for Gibson

I picked up Gibson on waivers a few weeks ago (stupid managers) and I am looking to flip him to someone that needs goalie help. I'm 4-0 currently but looking to add some more depth.

I give: John Gibson - drop a streamer or possibly Jake Allen

I get: William Karlsson and Matt Murray

Karlsson and Murray have both struggled but I am betting on them picking it up. Plus Karlsson could help with faceoff wins while being C/LW eligible.
    Thanks for the help.
    One year league - Head to head scoring - 12 teams
    Scoring categories:
    G, A, PIM, PPP, GWG, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK - Wins, GAA, Save Percentage and Shut Outs

C, LW, RW, 2D, Utility + 1 GOALIE

C: Barkov, Larkin, Scheifele,
    LW : B. Tkachuk, E. Kane
    RW; M. Tkachuk, W. Nylander,
    D: McAvoy, Heiskanen, Chabot, Chychrun
    G: Husso, Hellebuyck
    IR: Demko
    IR+ Landeskog
    Current Streamers: Bunting, Lauzon

7 Player adds per week.

Dobber Sports Titan

Default Re: William Karlsson + Murray for Gibson

I like the deal for you. Anaheim is playing over their head, and Murray has nowhere to go but up.
    Associate Editor for DobberHockey (Wednesdays). Click that Ramblings button on the the menu bar!
    (No I don't have a hockey problem...)

Dobber Sports Deity

Welcome to the forums.

think I'd rather hold Gibson (crazy he'd be on waivers). Both Gibson and Murray are known for their time on the IR. Right now both are healthy and Gibson is playing well.

Long story short, I try and avoid Murray. If he needs goalie help, flip him Allen or Hutton for Murray straight up and hope Murray turns it around, so you can flip him for a better return again. I'd keep Gibson.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Like Axeman (with whom I often seem to agree) I'd keep Gibson and try to sell Allen or Hutton for Karlsson.

If that doesn't work, you can try Gibson for both, then I'd see if you can flip Murray or Allen for something useful. I'm bearish on Jake Allen & Penguins goalies in GAA & SV% formats.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Genius

Whoa. Hold up here. Let’s look at the devil’s details. This is for a 10 team, keep 4 league with single goalie starts (not sure if it is weekly or daily, but looking at the number of goalies you have I assume daily).

You already have Vasilevsky and Dubnyk (plus Allen and Hutton) so you goaltending is in fantastic shape. Is Gibson a keeper for you? Obviously not as you have Vasilevsky and it is keep four. But is he a keeper for someone else? I think, maybe. A keep four should not have 10 goalies kept (10 teams). Maybe 5 goalies are kept? (1st year league dynamics?)

Who are your keepers now? I’d say Vasilevsky, Crosby, then you pick 2 from a handful of others. You have a really good team (on paper anyway). Excellent.

I would be looking at trading Gibson++ for a 100% lock keeper. Think Gibson/Pettersson/Laine for _________. Failing that, and if it is allowed, I’d be looking for future year picks. You have all kinds of talent on your team. Figuring out a way to use these assets for future awesomeness is the direction I would be looking. Even this early in the season.

Swapping Gibson for Murray and Karlsson doesn’t really help your team. If we call Murray and Gibson a single season wash (for arguements sake) you are adding Karlsson to an already stacked line up. When do you every start Karlsson over any of your current LWs (E. Kane, Gaudreau, Landeskog, Tkachuk). Can you actually get him into enough games that he is valuable to you on a weekly basis. In a H2H format there are only so many days of the week to fill before the stats roll back to zero and you start again.

I know you say you are looking for depth, but I might be inclined to look at the Gibson piece as a way to get keeper depth.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Genius

^^ I was thinking about this earlier today. I would be making a move for McDavid if I were you. I think you can make an offer that the other GM would have to seriously consider.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Although I like the idea, you have to wonder about Gibson's value in this league given he was plucked from the wire.

We may understand his value, but people in his league may not, unfortunately.

Regardless, give it a go. As stated, you have the team to make a serious offer.

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    Although I like the idea, you have to wonder about Gibson's value in this league given he was plucked from the wire. We may understand his value, but people in his league may not, unfortunately.
    I hear what you are saying Kofax but I'm going to give the rest of the league a bit more credit. LOL

I think that Gibson is currently the #2 ranked goalie in the OP's league based on his goalie CATS [GS - W - GAA - SV% -SHO], trailing only Freddy Andersen. Just because one GM made a dumb panicky move doesn't mean that the rest of the GMs won't see Gibson's name atop the goalie stats leaderboard.

Dobber Sports Superstar

I guess I'm assuming Gibson was available for a while and possibly not drafted given he picked him up a couple of weeks ago and he got off to such a hot start and hasn't really slumped at all until maybe a recent 2-game stretch, I can't imagine anyone having dropped him.

However, that is an assumption and could very well be wrong. I agree with you that he's doing great this year. Injury tends to be the only concern with him.

Dobber Sports Rookie

Hey guys,
    I appreciate all the feedback. To fill in some further info. Most of the guys in my league have been together for a while so as a way of easing into a more serious keepers league I suggested we keep 4 from last year. These 4 could be different next year depending on feedback from other managers. I kept Crosby, Tavares, Laine and Vasi. So far my draft has turned out pretty well.
    Gibson was actually not a keeper but was dropped a few weeks ago. I think the manager was frustrated by lack of wins which I understand but clearly he needs to look at other cats.
    Once again, thanks for all the info. It definitely has given me even more to think about. I would love having another faceoff man that I can slot in as a LW but having 3 top 10-15 goalies might be more valuable in the long run.