Thread: Any 2018 prospects shining?

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Any 2018 prospects shining?

Hey!

Last year at this time, we had Tolvanen and Pettersson to watch out for. This year, it seems like noone from the 2018 draft is blowing through expectations and everyone is just doing average or fine.

Am I missing something or is it a really weak year for prospects across the board? People are already talking about the 2019 draft...

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Deity

Default Re: Any 2018 prospects shining?

Last year, Tolvanen and Pettersson weren't playing in the NHL and were drafted before that. What do they have to do with the kids from this recent draft playing this year? I dont get the comparison.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I didnt even say anything about the NHL...

It's pretty simple to understand:

Last year, Tolvanen and Pettersson were drafted in june 2017, by november 2017 they were skyrocketing in value because of their performances in the KHL and SHL.

This year, none of the 2018 prospects are having outstanding performances in their respective league unless I'm missing out on some of them?

Dobber Sports Veteran

K'Andre Miller looked like more of a multi-cat defenseman if anything useful a few months ago. He currently has 2 goals and 7 assists in 10 games for Wisconsin U in NCAA's Big-10 conference as a freshman. That's pretty forking good.

Dobber Sports Sage

No one is really lighting it up like the guys you mentioned from last year. Still early though.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Wizard

Pettersson and Tolvanen had historical seasons, I wouldn't expect anything like that anytime soon.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Pettersson and Tolvanen did spectacular things respectively. If we're looking at Europe/KHL, Kravtsov could see his stocks rise during WJC but I'm not acquainted with prospects enough to know if he is in the same tier as the those two (my guess : he isn't) but he could be a nice own depending on your expectations.
    Zadina is doing good too and we could see him improve significantly during the season.
    Suzuki and Glass are also too good not to be in the AHL (age thing I know, but still) and they are probably gonna be featured heavily in WJC, making them good owns before entering next season.

Each year WJC is often the only occasion we take to watch our rookie players, so this tournament plays a huge perception on our evaluation as fantasy GMs. So it's a good habit to snag some prospects that might perform well there and flip them for other assets if you don't like them as much as you thought you did.
    10-team Pts only, 19-man roster, 9F, 4D, 2G, 4bench 95M cap league
    F: T.Tompson Pasta Kaprizov Rantanen Gaudreau Necas Greig Zegras Vilardi
    D: Josi Bouchard Sandin Sanheim
    G Shesterkin Samsonov
    B: Woll Perfetti Poitras
    Farm: Guenther, Will Smith

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by cheese_cake View Post
    Pettersson and Tolvanen did spectacular things respectively. If we're looking at Europe/KHL, Kravtsov could see his stocks rise during WJC but I'm not acquainted with prospects enough to know if he is in the same tier as the those two (my guess : he isn't) but he could be a nice own depending on your expectations.
    Zadina is doing good too and we could see him improve significantly during the season.
    Suzuki and Glass are also too good not to be in the AHL (age thing I know, but still) and they are probably gonna be featured heavily in WJC, making them good owns before entering next season.

Each year WJC is often the only occasion we take to watch our rookie players, so this tournament plays a huge perception on our evaluation as fantasy GMs. So it's a good habit to snag some prospects that might perform well there and flip them for other assets if you don't like them as much as you thought you did.
    I agree with this approach. A couple of favorites of mine to stash before the upcoming WJC (not 2018 draftees, though): Lucas Elvenes and Emil Bemström (both should be on Sweden's top line), and Jakub Galvas (No. 1 defenseman for the Czechs). I think all three are solid prospects but there's a very good chance they get overrated at the WJC.

I also did a three-part series about breakout candidates in Europe:
    - The Journey: KHL Breakout Candidates
    - The Journey: Breakout Candidates in Sweden
    - The Journey: Breakout Candidates in Finland

Dobber Sports Jedi

Ryan Merkley is one for me. He came to SJ camp and impressed on and off the ice. The personality issues, coachability issues, were non-existent in camp. He's gone back to the OHL and is producing at a 1.47pt/gm clip. Compared to 1.06 in his draft year. Most forward prospects if they make this production jump in D+1 it's notable. As a Dman - He's trending in all the right directions. WJC camp will be very interesting with this one.

Hayton is another. He's gone from .95pt/gm to 1.5pt/gm - Most said he was taken way to early -- maybe, or maybe not.

Kaut, having just transitioned to the AHL (turning 19 on Oct 2) is one to watch. 7pt in 14gp.. expect that pt/gm production to rise as he gets comfortable.

It was a really weird draft it seemed so many players thought to be 1st round selections dropped. Veleno was on a lot of boards around 10 - he went at #30 - Dellandrea flying up to #13 was a wild card too. Jake Wise dropping to the 3rd round.

Rather than having anyone like Pettersson or Tolvanen pop up. The way things seem to be shaping up. Players taken in the 2nd/3rd round are going to be absolute waiver steals.

Just look at Trey Fix-Wolanski - taken 7th round #204 by Columbus 45pts in 22gp in the WHL

There will be so many hidden gems/sleepers in 2-3 years popping up from this draft
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    Ryan Merkley is one for me. He came to SJ camp and impressed on and off the ice. The personality issues, coachability issues, were non-existent in camp. He's gone back to the OHL and is producing at a 1.47pt/gm clip. Compared to 1.06 in his draft year. Most forward prospects if they make this production jump in D+1 it's notable. As a Dman - He's trending in all the right directions. WJC camp will be very interesting with this one.

Hayton is another. He's gone from .95pt/gm to 1.5pt/gm - Most said he was taken way to early -- maybe, or maybe not.

Kaut, having just transitioned to the AHL (turning 19 on Oct 2) is one to watch. 7pt in 14gp.. expect that pt/gm production to rise as he gets comfortable.

It was a really weird draft it seemed so many players thought to be 1st round selections dropped. Veleno was on a lot of boards around 10 - he went at #30 - Dellandrea flying up to #13 was a wild card too. Jake Wise dropping to the 3rd round.

Rather than having anyone like Pettersson or Tolvanen pop up. The way things seem to be shaping up. Players taken in the 2nd/3rd round are going to be absolute waiver steals.

Just look at Trey Fix-Wolanski - taken 7th round #204 by Columbus 45pts in 22gp in the WHL

There will be so many hidden gems/sleepers in 2-3 years popping up from this draft

Interesting you bring up Fix-Wolanski. Do you put much stock into his performance? I've always thought the WHL was pretty weak so I'm not surprised he's killing it in his 3rd year-- but does he have skills for fantasy upside?

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Ty Smith is out-producing Ryan Merkley and doesn't have any of the baggage or bad rep. Why isn't he more highly thought of? His path to a top D spot in NJ seems easier than what Merley faces in SJ (Burns and possibly Karlsson).

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by TrailerParkFlyers View Post
    Ty Smith is out-producing Ryan Merkley and doesn't have any of the baggage or bad rep. Why isn't he more highly thought of? His path to a top D spot in NJ seems easier than what Merley faces in SJ (Burns and possibly Karlsson).
    that's why I brought up Merkley. Signs are starting to point to him maturing and losing that rep. With the rumours surrounding him, one would have expected a DeAngelo or Ho-Sang type camp.. neither occurred, instead he left turning brass' heads - the right way.

Dobber Sports Prodigy

On the latest prospect D rankings Ty Smith is way down at 35. Is he really that far behind Hughes, Boqvist and Bouchard who are ranked 5, 6, and 7? Those three were all drafted well ahead of Smith but so far in junior, Smith looks to be crushing it.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by TrailerParkFlyers View Post
    On the latest prospect D rankings Ty Smith is way down at 35. Is he really that far behind Hughes, Boqvist and Bouchard who are ranked 5, 6, and 7? Those three were all drafted well ahead of Smith but so far in junior, Smith looks to be crushing it.
    part of the rankings weighs ETA to the NHL... if he's going to take longer, he'll be ranked slightly lower.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Smith and Merkley are the big ones for me and obviously what Kotkaniemi is doing as the youngest player in the NHL is pretty incredible, especially after hearing all summer long how Berg should have taken Zadina

I watched the Knights live a couple weeks ago - Boqvist did not impress, Bouchard certainly did.

Kravtsov was looking epic until he got hurt. Alexeyev (30th) is looking decent too; the dman has 31 points in 28 WHL games.

Microstats showing Toronto might have a winner with Semyon der Arguchintsev - looks like a very effective transition player, able to make plays. Not much of a shooter

Lundestrom was a bit surprising - taken 23rd and ends up playing 15 games in the NHL. More of a role player at this point, but there could be something going on there.

Regarding 2017, Heiskanen's incredible year certainly gets overshadowed by the historic production of Pettersson and Tolvanen. Bemstrom is leading the SHL in goals right now. Cayden Primeau also enjoyed the highest ever sv% by a freshman goalie in the NCAA. He'll probably be USA's starter at WJC this year. People seem to be sleeping on Formenton a bit - one of the youngest guys in that draft and he's been so close to making the NHL both years since.