Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Karlsson tumbles in the rankings

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Karlsson tumbles in the rankings

Wow! I can't remember the last time I saw Karlsson out of Dobber's top keeper dman spot. Let alone outside the top-5. So my questions:

Is there anyone here that actually views Karlsson outside the top-5 in keeper d value?

Is there anyone here that would take Chabot over every other dman in the league outside of Burns, Hedman, Rielly?

Dobber Sports Jedi

Default Re: Karlsson tumbles in the rankings

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    Wow! I can't remember the last time I saw Karlsson out of Dobber's top keeper dman spot. Let alone outside the top-5. So my questions:

Is there anyone here that actually views Karlsson outside the top-5 in keeper d value?

Is there anyone here that would take Chabot over every other dman in the league outside of Burns, Hedman, Rielly?
    No.. I would still take Gostisbehere & Kling over Chabot. I need more than six weeks of white-hot to supplant any of those. Then to say I'd take him over Carlson, PK, Josi... that's still a really tough call.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Wizard

I find these rankings much too volatile month-to-month for my liking, especially as they are for keeper leagues. I honest don't put too much stock into them. They are kinda fun reading but that's about it. I don't think I've ever made any decision based on them.
    I can't promise I'll try but I'll try to try.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    I find these rankings much too volatile month-to-month for my liking, especially as they are for keeper leagues. I honest don't put too much stock into them. They are kinda fun reading but that's about it. I don't think I've ever made any decision based on them.

i agree-- i used to refer to them for context, but the volatility doesn't make any sense. It really isn't applicable to keeper leagues because nobody in keeper leagues values players that way. It takes a lot to swing the pendulum so much, which is why i was curious about what people think. I'd be shocked if anyone said "yes I'd trade Karlsson for Chabot in a keeper league"

Dobber Sports All-Star

I agree. I have always taken these rankings with a grain of salt, but this latest instalment seems pretty glaringly short sighted. That said, I err on the side of caution with hot players and fast starts, sometimes to my detriment. I am solidly in the tried, true and proven camp, opting to fill most of my rosters with a healthy number of veterans. But the game does seem to be changing somewhat. Many young players and rookies seem to be succeeding and being given top opportunity sooner than in years past. I may need to be more open minded on these young guns going forward.

All that aside, however, there are likely over 20 D men on this list that I would not trade away for Chabot in a keeper league. Way too small a sample size for me. He is showing great talent and skill, and he is obviously going to have some solid value moving forward, but I need to see a much larger sample size to gauge his absolute keeper worth, let alone allow him to occupy a spot in the top 5.
    KHL Fantasy Hockey League Keep 8
    3-C 3-RW 3-LW 6-D 2-G

Forward 5-G 3-A 1.0 STP
    D-Men 6-G 4-A 1.5 STP
    .35 Shot .4 Hit .4 Block .1 FOW
    Goalie 6.5 Win .25 Save -2.5 GA 2-SO

C- Larkin, Hischer, Horvat, R. Thomas
    LW- Stamkos, Hyman, Kreider, Lehkonen,
    RW- Laine, Marchessault, Toffoli. Buchnevich
    D- Doughty, Burns, Letang, Andersson (IR), Faulk, Toews, Pionk, Petry
    G- Vasilevskiy, Copley, Andersen

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by wonko View Post
    I agree. I have always taken these rankings with a grain of salt, but this latest instalment seems pretty glaringly short sighted. That said, I err on the side of caution with hot players and fast starts, sometimes to my detriment. I am solidly in the tried, true and proven camp, opting to fill most of my rosters with a healthy number of veterans. But the game does seem to be changing somewhat. Many young players and rookies seem to be succeeding and being given top opportunity sooner than in years past. I may need to be more open minded on these young guns going forward.

All that aside, however, there are likely over 20 D men on this list that I would not trade away for Chabot in a keeper league. Way too small a sample size for me. He is showing great talent and skill, and he is obviously going to have some solid value moving forward, but I need to see a much larger sample size to gauge his absolute keeper worth, let alone allow him to occupy a spot in the top 5.
    Yes, the warning signs are clear for Chabot: sky high SH% and unsustainably high secondary assists. And all that in the span of what, 15 games?

Dobber Sports Padawan

I wouldn't trade my Ghost for Chabot, or even my Krug for that matter.

For Karlsson though? Probably, but I admit to being a little spooked as far as his production and role on the Sharks.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Sage

Just like you need more than 15 games to put Chabot above any of the names mentioned, you need more than 15 games to take Karlsson out of the top 5. These things will even out in the long run.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    It seems like they are much more volatile this season than last.

Dobber Sports Stud

it almost seems click-baity.. im losing respect for these lists

WHL - World Hockey League (24 Team - Daily H2H)

Maine Moose 2021-2022

2019 WHL GM of the Year #Supersoft

Dobber Sports Padawan

Two weeks ago I traded wheeler and Chabot for mackinnon. Im pumped to land Mackinnon but would hate myself if I traded away the next stud dman too early, as I have always had trouble getting one of those guys. I’m kinda hoping Chabot comes back down to earth so it takes some of the sting out of losing him and I can feel really great about the trade.

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by joeb323 View Post
    Two weeks ago I traded wheeler and Chabot for mackinnon. Im pumped to land Mackinnon but would hate myself if I traded away the next stud dman too early, as I have always had trouble getting one of those guys. I’m kinda hoping Chabot comes back down to earth so it takes some of the sting out of losing him and I can feel really great about the trade.
    What about the Wheeler sting after that 5 point night?
    [FONT=trebuchet ms]
    7 Partial Keeper (Keep 5 + 2 reserve spots) 12F (G,A=1) 6D (G,A=1.5) 2G (W=2,OTL=1,SO=1)
    F: MacKinnon, Marner, Svechnikov, J.Hughes, Konecny, Ziba, Malkin, Kaprisov, Monahan, Reinhart, Tarasenko, Seguin (Hintz while IR)
    D: Chabot, Q.Hughes, Barrie, Sergachev, Burns, Dobson
    G: Price, Hellebuyck
    Reserve: Kakko, Gusev

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    No.. I would still take Gostisbehere & Kling over Chabot. I need more than six weeks of white-hot to supplant any of those. Then to say I'd take him over Carlson, PK, Josi... that's still a really tough call.
    This morning my offer was rejected. I offered my Klingberg for his Chabot.

So there's that.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ace

I was alone on an island when I said that Karlsson's production was largely due to Ottawa deferring to him for their offensive production. Actually my exact words were that he "was given the keys to the city." We are now seeing how another D-man can do given the same opportunity to succeed. People were comparing Karlsson to Crosby and calling him one of the greatest defencemen of all-time - do those people still feel the same way?

EDIT: Klingberg's injury and Heiskanen's ascension is another example of how much a D-man's value can increase when their team gives them 1st PP ice-time.
    Comish Dynasty - 3 Tiers - 24 GMs (G A +/- PIM STP SOG HITS BLK W SV GAA / 4C, 4LW, 4RW, 6D, 1G) - $1130 SALARY CAP - Tier 1

C - Point $111, Horvat $67, Athanasiou $27 (C/LW), Mittelstadt $5, Lafferty $5 (C,LW,RW), Kupari $5, Coyle $40 (C/RW), Saarela $5
    LW - E.Kane $130, Bertuzzi $11 (LW/RW), Matt Martin $27, B.Lemieux $5, Haula (C/LW) $5, Motte $5,
    RW - Tarasenko $117, Keller $28 (RW/LW), Niederreiter $65 (LW/RW) , Tatar $57 (LW/RW), Kyrou $5 (C/LW), B.Ritchie
    D - Werenski $62, Pulock $57, R.Ellis $65, Ceci $36, T.Myers $59, T.DeAngelo $9, Bear $5, Witkowski, $5, Byram $5, Boqvist $5, T.Smith $5, Capobianco $5
    G - Grubauer $42, Rittich $27, Sorokin $5,

Dobber Sports Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Nehithaw View Post
    I was alone on an island when I said that Karlsson's production was largely due to Ottawa deferring to him for their offensive production. Actually my exact words were that he "was given the keys to the city." We are now seeing how another D-man can do given the same opportunity to succeed. People were comparing Karlsson to Crosby and calling him one of the greatest defencemen of all-time - do those people still feel the same way?

EDIT: Klingberg's injury and Heiskanen's ascension is another example of how much a D-man's value can increase when their team gives them 1st PP ice-time.
    Heiskanen hasn't done anything on the PP yet. Don't get ahead of yourself.