Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Karlsson tumbles in the rankings

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Karlsson tumbles in the rankings

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    This morning my offer was rejected. I offered my Klingberg for his Chabot.

So there's that.
    Wow! My league is wrapping this year and I still would ask for more than Chabot for Kling (maybe not after the injury) I see Chabot being an immense talent, but not outpointing Kling game for game the rest of the season
    8tm Keep 7FWD,4D,1G
    C,3LW,3RW,5D,2G (positional game played cap)
    G(3),A(2),+/-(1),PM(0.5),PPP(1),GW(1),S(0.4),W(4),SV(0.2),GA(-1),SO(2)
    C:Aho, Barkov, Pavelski(RW), Nugent-Hop(LW)
    R:Rantanen, Pasta, Konecny
    L:Guentzel, Gaudreau, Keller(RW), Benn
    D:Makar, Karlsson, Sergachev, Dobson, Hronek, Sanderson
    G:Vasilevskiy, Hart, Kuemper, Kotchetkov, Husso

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidenown View Post
    Wow! My league is wrapping this year and I still would ask for more than Chabot for Kling (maybe not after the injury) I see Chabot being an immense talent, but not outpointing Kling game for game the rest of the season
    I was feeling generous, but yeah I wanted picks as well but did not ask for them. I had a sneaking suspicion that he would decline the offer straight up. And he did. And that's how all Chabot owners are. Thus the ranking.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
    I find these rankings much too volatile month-to-month for my liking, especially as they are for keeper leagues. I honest don't put too much stock into them. They are kinda fun reading but that's about it. I don't think I've ever made any decision based on them.
    I have to agree with this. Fortunately for me, I have figured out which owners in my keeper league put a lot of stock into these rankings. It has helped me to pull off some great trades over the last couple of years. Time for me to contact the Karlsson owner.

Dobber Sports Sage

Stats weren't good tonight.

18:54 min (4th on the team for D men)

1:12 pp time (burns had over 4 min)

I'm still a believer that he figures it out. Hes too good. Even though he hasn't scored a point since I acquired him.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Jedi

I was feeling generous, but yeah I wanted picks as well but did not ask for them. I had a sneaking suspicion that he would decline the offer straight up. And he did. And that's how all Chabot owners are. Thus the ranking.
    If you own chabot I can see the hesitation of trading the next ghost or Karlsson, but at the same time.... there’s a larger risk chabot falls off a cliff come Jan
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Nehithaw View Post
    I was alone on an island when I said that Karlsson's production was largely due to Ottawa deferring to him for their offensive production. Actually my exact words were that he "was given the keys to the city." We are now seeing how another D-man can do given the same opportunity to succeed. People were comparing Karlsson to Crosby and calling him one of the greatest defencemen of all-time - do those people still feel the same way?

EDIT: Klingberg's injury and Heiskanen's ascension is another example of how much a D-man's value can increase when their team gives them 1st PP ice-time.

People comparing Karlsson to Crosby and calling him one of the greatest dman of all time? I don't know about that, but I do know that he has been the best defenceman in the world going on 5 years now - if you asked 31 GMs who they would pick if they had one choice for a dman, it's probably Karlsson (although Hedman would be close). No one other than Burns has come close to the kind of impact he's had offensively, and despite the naysayers he's actually a good defensive dman.

As a Karlsson owner, I'm certainly annoyed at his start, and was annoyed when he went to the Sharks (although that has more to do with my also owning Burns!) But to say that Karlsson is going to go from virtually a PPG dman to an average or slightly above average guy is ludicrous - that's what some GMs are doing right now with who they are trading him for, etc. The guy is in a completely new city, new team, new coaches, etc, it will take time for him to adapt, we're only 1/5th of the season in. My take is he's going to go on one of those stretches where he puts up 3-4 points per game and everyone gets excited again. I could be wrong but I'd bet good money I'm not.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Twitter: @ross10019

CBS Sportsline 14 team H2H keeper (21-man roster, 14 keepers)
    Weekly lineup changes (start 9F (3/4C and 6/5W) 5D 2G)
    G, A, PPP, SOG, BS, +/-, GAA, W, SV%

Angry Little Elves (formerly Montreal Maulers)
    2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 League Champions
    C: Tavares Hintz Larkin Jenner Seguin Schenn Backlund
    W: Panarin Marchand Hyman Keller Forsberg Batherson Rust Moore Smith
    D: Josi Hamilton Weegar Montour Ekholm Myers Parayko Pettersson Seeler
    G: Vasilevskiy Swayman Kuemper

Dobber Sports Pro

Seems like a good time to revisit this thread. I'm really starting to question the methodology in your rankings. What's going on here?

In every keeper league I've been in, value does not fluctuate this drastically in the short-term. Half of the content you publish here is all about long term trends and projections, understanding short term situational factors, and forecasting the player based on his talent, combined with his role and opportunity, vs relying on a small sample size.

So Karlsson struggles for the first few weeks on a new team and he's all of the sudden barely a top 10 D fantasy own. Yet we all knew who he was- Erik Karlsson, the most talented offensive dman on the planet possessing higher offensive upside than anyone else at the position. Despite that, your keeper league rankings dropped him quite a bit- which contradicts the Keeper League strategy that's been established on this site for what, a decade? And now that EK is playing the way we all knew he would, you put him at number 1 again? If McDavid scored 15 pts in a 30 game sample size, would you drop him out of the top 5? That's basically what happened here.

I'm just really confused now. Are the rankings turning into a throwaway portion of this site or something? For lack of a better word, they feel lazy. They used to be a great resource but now I can't trust them and it's disappointing.

Not trying to complain as I love the content here and literally spend hours a day on the site. But I'm really thrown off by how you've ranked players lately.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    Seems like a good time to revisit this thread. I'm really starting to question the methodology in your rankings. What's going on here?

In every keeper league I've been in, value does not fluctuate this drastically in the short-term. Half of the content you publish here is all about long term trends and projections, understanding short term situational factors, and forecasting the player based on his talent, combined with his role and opportunity, vs relying on a small sample size.

So Karlsson struggles for the first few weeks on a new team and he's all of the sudden barely a top 10 D fantasy own. Yet we all knew who he was- Erik Karlsson, the most talented offensive dman on the planet possessing higher offensive upside than anyone else at the position. Despite that, your keeper league rankings dropped him quite a bit- which contradicts the Keeper League strategy that's been established on this site for what, a decade? And now that EK is playing the way we all knew he would, you put him at number 1 again? If McDavid scored 15 pts in a 30 game sample size, would you drop him out of the top 5? That's basically what happened here.

I'm just really confused now. Are the rankings turning into a throwaway portion of this site or something? For lack of a better word, they feel lazy. They used to be a great resource but now I can't trust them and it's disappointing.

Not trying to complain as I love the content here and literally spend hours a day on the site. But I'm really thrown off by how you've ranked players lately.
    Well, I knew what Karlsson was. Got a lot of low ball offers on him and I just told the guys unless your going to pay me Kucherov or Mcjesus straight up or a really solid 2 for one don't bother. I like that the rankings are short sighted. Makes it easier for those with the long view to make great buy low and sell high trades.
    10 Owner Keepers. Keep 8

Positions----C:3 LW:3 RW:3 D:6 G:2
    Skaters: Assists/Blocks/FOW/Goals/Hits/SOG/STP
    Defense premium 1.5/1 Goalies: GA/SV/W

Kootenay League

C: Draisaitl(c,l), Zibanejad, Beniers, Nelson
    RW:Meier(l,r), Kyrou, Tippett, D.Stome(c,r), Stone
    LW: Tkachuk(l,r), Panarin, McCann(c,l), Marchessault(l,r),
    D: Josi, McAvoy, Morrissey, Montour, Toews, Hronek, Severson, Orlov
    G: Gustavsson, Kuemper, Gibson

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post

I couldn't agree more. I used to love the rankings here because unlike all other fantasy hockey resources, they didn't fluctuate wildly. They would always reassure me to stay the course if my stud players were slumping, and to calm down when the hot new toy was firing on all cylinders. Now, they are similar to other online rankings (like Yahoo, except the Dobber ones are keeper specific so it's even worse). They seem to be suffering from some serious short-term-itus lately and I no longer trust them as a resource, unfortunately.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by Nehithaw View Post
    I was alone on an island when I said that Karlsson's production was largely due to Ottawa deferring to him for their offensive production. Actually my exact words were that he "was given the keys to the city." We are now seeing how another D-man can do given the same opportunity to succeed. People were comparing Karlsson to Crosby and calling him one of the greatest defencemen of all-time - do those people still feel the same way?

EDIT: Klingberg's injury and Heiskanen's ascension is another example of how much a D-man's value can increase when their team gives them 1st PP ice-time.
    So how's the Island 2 months later?

To answer your question, yes I still do feel the same way, I never stopped.

Incredible - it took one month for some people to completely lose their minds.
    12 Team Dynasty, H2H (points)
    Dress 2C, 4W, 1F, 4D, 1G (Daily)
    G (3), A (2), STP (1), SHOG (1), +/- (0.5), SOG (0.2), Hits (0.2), Blk (0.2), FOW (0.1); W (5), SO (2), Sv (0.2), GA (-1)

C - Draisaitl (W), Hughes, Larkin, Trochek
    W - T.Thompson (C), Pastrnak, Reinhart, Batherson, Nichushkin, Duchene (C), Zuccarello
    D - Dahlin, Theodore, Bouchard, Faber, Werenski, Skjei
    G - Jarry, Gustavsson, Montembault
    Fm - Bordeleau, Barlow, Lucius, G.Perreault, Luneau, Perunovich, Nikishin

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by forumname View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I used to love the rankings here because unlike all other fantasy hockey resources, they didn't fluctuate wildly. They would always reassure me to stay the course if my stud players were slumping, and to calm down when the hot new toy was firing on all cylinders. Now, they are similar to other online rankings (like Yahoo, except the Dobber ones are keeper specific so it's even worse). They seem to be suffering from some serious short-term-itus lately and I no longer trust them as a resource, unfortunately.
    This. In previous years a slump out hot steak wouldn't change a KEEPER ranking but this year it's basically "what have you done for me lately?"

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by HonkyTonkMan View Post
    This. In previous years a slump out hot steak wouldn't change a KEEPER ranking but this year it's basically "what have you done for me lately?"
    Add one more to the chorus here. The rankings now just feel like they're written to be click-bait more than quality information. Between that and the insanely annoying pop-up ads that started showing up on every. single. page. of the site, I think it's clear that the focus here is shifting.

I'm half expecting the next rankings to have a title like "Top 100 Keeper League Dmen - You Won't Believe Who is at #7!" and to be in the form of a slideshow where every 3rd slide is an ad.
    16 GM Dynasty
    H2H Points
    Weekly Matchups w/ Starts: 12F/6D/2G
    G(3), A(2), +/-(0.1), Hit(0.1), SOG(0.1), BS(0.1), PPP(1), SHP(1)
    W(4), L(-2), SO(4), Sv(0.2), GA(-1)

F: A. Svechnikov, R. Thomas, N. Suzuki, Pastrnak, Boldy, J. Robertson, J. Hughes, Frost, Tolvanen, Drouin, Heinen, Gallagher, N. Ritchie, Wood, Poehling, Podkolzin

D: Makar, Fox, Dobson, Byram, Dahlin, Ferraro, Michael Stone

G Sorokin, Hart, Georgiev, DeSmith

Farm: Firkus, Kayumov, Heimosalmi, Brennan, Werner, Kvaca, Parik

Dobber Sports Genius

Quote Originally Posted by HonkyTonkMan View Post
    I brought this up yesterday on facebook dobber post. Weird I come across this this morning...guess we are all noticing this. Its unfortunate cause I relied on these rankings often over the years and now they just annoy me how crazy they can be. There was just so many players ranked ahead of other players that are nowhere near as good now or in the future. Lebanc vs Pavelski comes to mind. They can't be perfect I know but they shouldn't be so far fetched either. Hopefully some people didn't trade Karlsson for the 7 other dmen ahead of him at the time.
    Contract Fantrax 14 teams, 8 keepers. 4 max lifers +/-
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 1F. 5D,2G....5Reserves.
    Goal heavy. G=3.5 A=2 Add 0.5pts for D.
    Goalies:W=3,SO=4,start=2,Save=.1
    Assist +4, OF loss +1 loss= -1 Goal against -1
    C:MACKINNON,Kadri,Rossi,Thompson
    LW: KANE,HUBERDEAU,Marchand,kotkaniemi,Colton,N.Robert son
    RW:KUCHEROV,RANTANEN,Kessel,Bjorkstrand
    FOX,BURNS,Jones,Girard,lundkist,Hanafin
    G:CAMPBELL,Swayman
    Minors:Mctavish,Johnson