Thread: Keep M. Smith, or drop for Rittich?

Dobber Sports Rookie

Default Keep M. Smith, or drop for Rittich?

Hi All,

Topic says it all. I'm in a keeper league that tracks standard goalie stats. W, GAA, SV%, SO.

Since came back from injury last year, Smith has been mediocre (awful). His counting stats in the above are bottom of the league. Rittich, last year, was not much better as a starter. However, this year, his numbers are excellent and he certainly passes the eye test as the better of the two goalies.

Last year, a similar situation occurred in Winnipeg with the Mason / Hellebuyck tandem. Mason put together a string of sub par games, and was eventually supplanted by Hellebuyck. I'm wondering if this might be something to consider with the Smith / Rittich situation this year.

Smith's game last night was no good, despite a strong defensive game from the Flames. If the Flames had consistent goaltending this year, they would be in the conversation for leading the league in points.

Do you drop Smith and pick up Rittich?

My goaltending stable at the moment is Luongo, Crawford, Saros, Smith.

Thanks!

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Keep M. Smith, or drop for Rittich?

I'd make that move. I'm sure Smith will hang out on waivers if you need to reverse it for some reason, short of Rittich being out for the year.

The Mason/Hellebuyck thing is similar, except for Winnipeg signing Mason - who can't handle tandems or threats to him bieng the starter - when they already had a better goalie in-house. That was a crazy decision.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Apprentice

This move seems a bit premature to me. I watch a lot of Flames games and, yes, Smith might be on the verge of losing his gig it hasn't really happened yet.
    12 Team Yahoo Daily H2H League - Limited Keep 3
    C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR+, IR+, IR
    G, A, PTS, +/-, PPP, PIM, SOG, Hits --- W, SV, SV%, SHO
    ------------------------------------------------------

C: Barkov, Stamkos, Hintz, STREAMER
    LW: Guetzel, Fiala, Forsberg
    RW: Rantanen, Kempe, Coleman
    D: Hronek, Letang, Harley
    G: Oettinger, Shesterkin, UPL
    IR+: Theodore, Andersen, Kochetkov

Dobber Sports Expert

Also, are we sure that Rittich is the G of the future? They still have Gillies.
    13 team Keeper, top 8F, 4D and 2G count. 1pt G/A, 2pt W/SO.
    Protect up to 500 points in a full season
    (K) denotes keeper

Keepers:

F: Draisaitl, Thompson, Thomas, Zuccarello, Konecny, Marchessault Ehlers, O'Reilly, Tarasenko, Perron, Coronato, Seguin, Atkinson, Rossi, Michkov
    D: Q Fox, Sergachev, Dobson, York, Hutson
    G: Vasilevsky, Jarry, Levi

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by Seeds of Grapes View Post
    Also, are we sure that Rittich is the G of the future? They still have Gillies.
    and Parsons...

yeah, i'm not a big fan of dropping 1a for 1b. That could be an revolving door on the starter this year. At his salary, if Smith has a good start - he gets the next one.. and the next one.
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Monster

I would wait it out. You goaltending is pretty good so you can weather a few storms. I have both guys, but I get the feeling Calgary really wants Smith to get his groove back. The way he plays the puck really helps them get out of their zone. He just has to stop the puck a bit more. Also keep in mind Rittich was pretty mediocre last year and wasn't even guaranteed to be the backup, so...I'd wait and see a bit longer.

12 team H2H Most Cats Wins; Keep 6/winner keeps 7; G A PPP +/- SHP SOG HIT BLK PIM // W SV GAA SV% SHO
    3 C, 3 LW, 3 RW, 6D, 2G, 5 bench

C - McDavid, Crosby, Tavares
    LW - DeBrincat
    RW - Meier, Miller
    D -
    G - Jarry

Dobber Sports Rookie

Thanks for the feedback guys. Really appreciate it.

I'll take the wait and see approach!