Thread: Jake Allen??

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Default Jake Allen??

What are we doing with him as he's been awful. I thought maybe I could at least get average production out of him given there wasn't a capable backup on the roster, though apparently the Blues seem to have all kinds of issues right now.

I see guys like Phillip Grubuaer or Scott Darling out there on the WW, so is it time to give Allen the boot? I figure good goaltenders in timeshares may be better than one who's getting shelled each night.

My other goalies are Saros and Schneider.

The Great One

Default Re: Jake Allen??

I don't know that I'd drop Allen for Grubauer or Darling. Allen is still getting the majority of the starts, and by all accounts the team's poor results aren't entirely Allen's fault. Some thought Ville Husso was the answer, but he has lost 5 of 6 starts in the AHL (5 in a row, actually, after winning his first game), and his save % is below .900. I don't see Husso being recalled anytime soon. Unless St. Louis trades for a goalie (which I don't see happening), then they have no choice but to keep going with Allen and hope the entire team sorts itself out.

Personally, I see Yeo getting fired very soon and that might help Allen out. A new coach with a new system might be the answer.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

The Great One

I want to add more here...it is hard for me to see Yeo getting fired (I have a personal connection to him), but St. Louis is an absolute mess right now. Pietrangelo is playing like a father of triplets, Bouwmeester is playing like someone who should have retired two years ago, Allen is struggling to make routine saves, and the offense isn't clicking. Coming into this season, with the acquisition of O'Reilly and Bozak, and the emergence of the young kids Kyrou, Thomas, and Blais, and a generally healthy roster, the expectations for this team were high. The fans aren't happy and I think a change is going to happen soon.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Sophomore

I'm definitely with you in that I feel the team is too talented to be this bad.

Dobber Sports Jedi

You should be able to trade Allen (unless this is a one year league) Any type of keeper league - he's got value.

Two years ago (pre-AHL demotion) I had warning bells going off in my head and I ditched Allen from all 3 teams I owned him. I haven't regretted any of those decisions for a second. If anything he's only reaffirmed my gut feeling. In one pool, I packaged him with Trouba for Bobrovsky - when Bob had a soft stretch like he's having now (Bob's only 30) -- Similarly, I traded Allen & K. Hayes (who was red hot) for Freddy Andersen (who held something like a .820 svpct at the time) -- that type of deal is what you need to try to do 2-1 for a solid G upgrade - Dubnyk/Bob/Price/Jones are the type of goalies I would try to get.

I hope Allen figures it out and posts solid numbers, but for someone else. The guy just falls apart. I don't trust him - whatsoever. If San Antonio (AHL) wasn't an even bigger wreckage I could see Husso getting a call here soon.

2-1 for a legit top end G who's struggling (there's a couple)
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Prodigy

Possible to go with 4 goalies for now? Considering how well Kinkaid is playing, and that Rinne will be back soon, you kind of need to keep Allen just because of the starts.

On the other hand, I personally feel Allen is the most overrated goalie in the NHL and would want to get far away from him.

Grubauer looks good and it's only a matter of time before Varly gets hurt. Darling is more boom or bust. He could easily be as bad as Allen. But the #1 job is up for grabs in Carolina.

Standard Yahoo 12 team
    G A +/- PPP SOG HIT | W SV% GAA SO

C: Johansen, Duchene, Marchessault
    LW: Ovechkin, B Tkachuk, Parise
    RW: Wheeler, Hoffman, Tuch
    D: Rielly, Edler, Montour, Theodore
    G: Bobrovsky, Hellebuyck, Raanta
    IR: Subban

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Forgot to mention...the league rules are you can only carry three goal tenders....unfortunately in the Draft I waited on a goalie and Allen seemed like the best of an uninspiring bunch. Honestly, I just thought St. Louis would be better and the offense would bail him out more often than not.

Big Daddy

I own Allen in one of my leagues and as painful as it is to carry him (I drafted him as my goddamn ace!), I can’t drop him yet. Going to give him a bit more time to turn it around.

Dobber Sports Grand Master

I think you may see the Blues claim one of the goalies the Flyers or Hurricanes are likely to waive. Maybe they trade for Bobrovsky as a rental? I don't know, but Allen is not good enough.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Superstar

Every year this same discussion arises surrounding Allen. Also true to form, he has now been injured and is likely out with a concussion for who knows how long. Stay away from Jake!!
    14 Team Roto; Keep 25; 12 F, 6 D, 2 G; 10 Farm; 5 Bench; 5 IR;

Salary Cap - 102.5 Mil

Scoring Cats: G, A, Pts, PIM, Hits, BS, SOG, F Points, D Points; Win+Ties+SO, GAA, SV%

Keepers

F: Aho, Larkin, DeBrincat, Vrana, Bennett, Scheifele, Kakko,Tolvanen, McBain,

D: Heiskanen, Fox, Toews, Lundqvist

G: Swayman, Andersen, Copley

Drops

F: Gaudreau, Terravainen, Puljujarvi, Kravstov, Zary

D: Brannstrom, Cernak, Alexeyev

G: Korpisalo, Merzlikins

FARM: Rossi, Berggren, Holtz, Savoie, Clarke, Tarasov, Wolf

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba55 View Post
    Every year this same discussion arises surrounding Allen. Also true to form, he has now been injured and is likely out with a concussion for who knows how long. Stay away from Jake!!
    Yep. Accuracy at it's finest. I owned him once and it was awful.
    19 Team Roto Cash League
    Salary Cap
    Keep 13-15 (Auction Draft)
    Start - 4C, 4 LW, 3RW, 6 D, 2G
    Amateur Draft
    12 Farm System
    7 Reserve

C - Chytil, Geekie, Pageau, Rasmussen, Drury
    LW - Macelli, Hoglander, Greig, Knies
    RW - Joseph, Barabanov, Tuch, Tippet, O'Connor
    D - Harley, Vlasic, Moser, Perunovich, Liljegren, Boqvist
    G - Gustavsson, Daccord

Farm - But, Lucius, Nazar, Snuggerud, Wallstedt, McGroarty, Lekkerimaki, Mateychuk, Savoie, Willander

Standard Point System
    G, A, +-, PIM's, GAA, Sv%