Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast

Thread: Raptors

Dobber Sports Genius

Default Re: Raptors

All credit to Boston for the D but Durant looked human. Wonder if Nash will survive. Agree that Irving was a liability most times.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Ninja

Kyrie was practically non-existent this series. Hard for KD to do anything when he's being triple teamed and the other superstar on the team suddenly goes invisible...

Kyrie has been nothing but a liability and distraction for them the entire year.

Dobber Sports Titan

FVV is doubtful last I checked for tonight's game, which I'm going to assume means out.
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 6 (in Bold)
    G, A, Pts, PPP, FW, SOG, Hits, Blocks
    W, Saves, S%, GAA, Game Started
    2C, 2LW, 2RW, 4D, 1Util, 2G, 5BN, 2IR, 1IR+, 1NA

C: Horvat, Trocheck
    LW: J. Robertson, Byfield (C), Guenther
    RW: Pavelski (C), Giroux (C), Svechnikov (LW)
    D: Fox, Makar, Bouchard, Morrissey, Gudas
    Util: Meier (LW, RW)
    G: Oettinger, Georgiev, Samsonov, Woll

Dobber Sports Titan

They went cold and couldn't get out of it. That's what happened in the 3rd and then they couldn't get back.

Toronto got outplayed last night. I didn't see a whole lot of their play that could have changed anything. I do think both those Embiid plays were Flagrant 1s, which would have had him kicked out for that Boucher shoulder. Could have changed things but I can't keep saying that Embiid gets the baby treatment from the refs. Just gets tiresome.

What a season by the Raptors tho, they weren't supposed to be in the playoffs, showed their signing of GTJ was right. FVV was an all star. It was a great season and a razor thin line between them at the 76ers was destroyed with injuries and ridiculous early fouls in the first 2 games.

Now Butler and Lowry are set to avenge the Raptors on Monday.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Go Heat.

Also....Dragic is a big loser.

Dobber Sports Titan

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Go Heat.

Also....Dragic is a big loser.
    I do enjoy how he actually heard the hate lol. But for the sport It's good NBA players are active on social media. I was hoping a Sabre would tweet something about Vegas really.

Dobber Sports Guru

I feel like the Raptors rely on jump shots and threes more than other teams. Which is great when it's going, but when it's cold like the third quarter yesterday, it's awful. There's no way to stop a run when you can't hit a shot and can't go to the basket for a layup/dunk.

Regardless, as 2014OG mentioned, a lot of it came down to injuries. Barnes was obviously hobbled last night (to the point where it probably impacted his shot). But it was a fun season for the Raps.

Heat in three.

Dobber Sports Genius

Just a quick "wow": (from Yahoo)

With blood clot issues forcing Chris Bosh to end his NBA playing career early, the Heat waived him at the end of the 2016-17 season with $52.1 million remaining on his contract. He was paid that balance in 120, twice-monthly installments of $434,393 starting on Nov. 15, 2017.
    Bosh was scheduled to receive the 120th and final installment of that payment plan today

Crazy that he made $868,796/month for the last 5 years. WOW now that's cash for life.
    Call me old one more time.

- Roy Kent

Dobber Sports Titan

I'm just glad the Raps are well run and not the mess that is Brooklyn or Lakers.

Funny enough you can apply to be the new PR Coordinator for the Nets because...the current one left to be with the Lakers lol.

Dobber Sports Deity

https://twitter.com/michaelgrange/st...08405050732544

Can confirm that Nick Nurse has been fired by the Toronto Raptors after five years as head coach and five as an assistant.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Wow I thought Nurse has the golden key to the Raptors and would only leave on his terms. After bring a championship to the franchise. Interesting!
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

​​

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by PenguinHunter View Post
    Wow I thought Nurse has the golden key to the Raptors and would only leave on his terms. After bring a championship to the franchise. Interesting!
    I think it was more Masai that brought the championship there versus Nick Nurse.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Titan

Nick Nurse is a great coach for a playoff team with a superstar. His faults though, he doesn't change things up, rides his starters too hard, and runs a boring offense. He was all tactics and schemes for his team, which won them a championship. But it got dull for the players.

His time has come. But he'll be in the NBA as a head coach instantly, but for some reason it seems like Houston is the front runner (he did win the D-League with their affiliate).

If you listened to his interviews the last 2 months, it was written on the wall that there was a big divide between head office and coaching staff. And 5 assistant coaches were also let go. Apparently when they were on the road, assistant coaches were asking teams if they had potential openings in 2023-24 season.

Nick shut down from the team near the end. Built a wall around him and just isolated himself because he knew what was coming. And his coaching staff knew it too. And you know the players knew.

Administrator

This is more of a mutual parting of ways than a straight firing as the headlines allude to. Nurse is heavily rumoured to be heading to Houston and that's since mid-season. He definitely could have wrote his own ticket and been the coach for life, but sometimes relationships grow stale, and coaches can wear out before the players.

One part of the stagnation of things the past few seasons is that the once vaunted developmental pipeline that delivered guys like Siakam, Van Vleet, Onunoby, Boucher and Powell (became Gary Trent via trade) all outside the lottery has pretty well dried up. Is that on Nurse and the rest of the coaching staff, Masai and the front office, or just random variance when you only get a few player selection bullets a year? Whatever the case, the biggest reason this team stagnated was the lack of depth/talent available. They used to go 10 deep with guys who could create their own shot and a few who could get to the rim consistently. They had no one who challenged the rim consistently and very few shot creators on the roster. If often felt like they had only 5 reliable players on any given night. Not a recipe for success in today's NBA where league-wide the depth is better than ever.
    Follow me on Twitter@SteveLaidlaw

https://image.ibb.co/k3o8Sa/dobber_banner_sig.jpg

Dobber Sports Ninja

Nurse had a great run, but every coach runs his course and eventually its time for a new voice.

Nurse also clearly wanted out... so there's that.