Thread: Daredevil Season 3 kicks ass

I...am your father.

Default Daredevil Season 3 kicks ass

I loved all the first seasons for Marvel on Netflix. Daredevil and Jessica Jones were easy 10s, and despite some critics I felt that Luke Cage, Iron Fist were a good 8.5. Defenders and Punisher I would give 9

Season 2 - Daredevil slipped a bit to 8.5. Jessica to 7. Luke Cage to 7. Iron Fist to 6

I admit I had my fingers crossed for Daredevil Season 3. But - wow. Kicks ass right from the start. And just when you think that it maybe runs out of juice by the mid episodes, the sudden plot twists actually caught me off guard and forced me to watch the next one, which in turn continued to kick ass. Anyway, if you gave up on Marvel Netflix - Come back for this one. Seriously.

Also, regarding the cancellations of Luke Cage and Iron Fist - these weren't bad enough to cancel. They could have been redeemed. The main mistake was stretching 6 episodes into 12. These shows draaaagggged, man. Speculation is that Marvel/Disney will be putting their exclusive stuff on their own pay/stream channel. That's fine. But I would suggest teaming them up like in the comics - Power Man and Iron Fist. Another trick to spice things up is to bring in one of the other heroes for a cameo. The episode where Iron Fist appeared in Luke Cage was probably the best for that season.
    The Best Fantasy Hockey Site

15-Team Keeper, points only, best 12 fwd, 4 dman, 2 G count. Playoffs count.

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    G - Kahkonen, Vejmelka, L. Thompson, Levi, Comrie
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default Re: Daredevil Season 3 kicks ass

Great call Dobber. I have Daredevil from the start and actually loved season 2 more than 1. But yes all of these shows would probably benefit from being 10 episodes instead of 12 or 13.

I'm only though 6 of the new DD so very excited to finish. Love the character, story, villain and FIGHTING. The one per season special long shot delivers beyond what I could have imagined this year. It was breathtaking.

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    The one per season special long shot delivers beyond what I could have imagined this year.
    I keep re-reading this part but I don't know what you mean, can you clarify?

F - T. Thompson, Thomas, Nylander, Tarasenko, Arvidsson, Guentzel, Fiala, Quinn, Mittelstadt, Hagel, Zacha, Roslovic, Berggren, Brink, Ostlund
    D - Hronek, Morrissey, Lundkvist, Girard, Brannstrom, Rathbone, Hanifin, Severson, Durzi

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post
    I keep re-reading this part but I don't know what you mean, can you clarify?
    haha ya that wasn't a very good sentence.

Each season they've had one fight scene where it is just one continuous camera shot. I'm sure there is a more technical term for it but ya.

Season 1 it was a hallway fight.
    Season 2 it was down the staircase
    Season 3......don't want to spoil anyone but it was during the jail riot scene....and was over 10 minutes of non stop filming.

Dobber Sports Genius

I knew about Luke Cage, but I didn't know Iron Fist was also cancelled. That's really disappointing, as I thoroughly enjoyed that show. Despite two separate attempts, I couldn't get into Luke Cage, unfortunately. I just finished Jessica Jones season 2 (awesome), and I'm looking forward to getting into DD season 3. Great to hear that it comes highly recommended!

Dobber Sports Star

Bullseye is one of my favourite villains in the Marvel Universe. I am almost through season 3. Really enjoying it.

Rylant

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by Rylant View Post
    Bullseye is one of my favourite villains in the Marvel Universe. I am almost through season 3. Really enjoying it.

Rylant
    The Bullseye character build has been fantastic

That jail riot scene was epic

Dobber Sports Immortal

They're called Tracking Shots. Love them. True Detective had a great one.

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/10...ene-episode-4/

I...am your father.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeFilly View Post
    I knew about Luke Cage, but I didn't know Iron Fist was also cancelled. That's really disappointing, as I thoroughly enjoyed that show. Despite two separate attempts, I couldn't get into Luke Cage, unfortunately. I just finished Jessica Jones season 2 (awesome), and I'm looking forward to getting into DD season 3. Great to hear that it comes highly recommended!
    The thing with Luke Cage is it had too many slow points. Shaving 3-4 episodes would have done wonders. But Bushmaster as an amazing villain and they could have should have done even more with that in terms of fighting him

Dobber Sports Demi-God

Thought I'd share something I fully subscribe to after 1+ year of checking.
    The best site for checking whether a show/movie is going to be good.

metacritic.
    As a numbers person, I've been pre-checking and post-analyzing their ratings on shows & movies closely now.
    Probably 30+ shows seasons & 15 movies.
    THE most accurate site for ranking. metacritic. Hands down. The best, and only.
    (Rotten Tomatoes is crap. IMDB not good either.)

[sharing this because I believe you'd, Dobber, qualify yourself as a numbers-person as well.]

Anyways:
    75 Daredevil Season 1. And I'd agree. 70-80 is pretty much the "good" range.
    68 Daredevil Season 2. And I'd agree. Not as good as the first... and I lost interest.
    71 Daredevil Season 3. I haven't watched... but based on that ranking... I won't. [sort of a knock on thread ranking, sorry, gotta challenge ya, my man.]
    *Notably - this show does currently have a USER SCORE of 91. I do put good stock into User Score. But also, those tend to be "cult following" type fans who want to support their show with ratings. Generally, very few wise-watchers these days are jumping into a Season3 anything if they haven't watched S1, S2. So, Season 3+ of anything tends to get good "User Score"s.*

I've become an absolute TV/movie snob now with my faith in metacritic.
    Shit needs to be 80+ for me to watch it ... unless a future season is 80+... then I might stomach a few 70s-ish seasons to get there.

But sub-70. Nope sorry.

Good to see you back posting some stuff Dobber.
    Hope you and fam are well.

[Most recently watched in our house: The Haunting of Hill House, Netflix. 79 metacritic. Bang on accurate. It was "very, very good", but not "great". I know, I know, should post that over in the "what are you watching thread"... but wanted to say hi.]

Dobber Sports Immortal

Yes Metacritic is always great for that. Screw Rotten Tomatoes. Useless. Can't even believe it's still around.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Done the season. Another solid one. I have loved this show from the start and it just feels like a different class than the other Netflix-Marvel shows.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Disappointed to hear it was cancelled.I've heard Disney might be doing something with these shows and their eventualy streaming service.....but still.....Daredevil didn't deserve this. It was one of Netflix' first shows!

Dobber Sports Star

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Disappointed to hear it was cancelled.I've heard Disney might be doing something with these shows and their eventualy streaming service.....but still.....Daredevil didn't deserve this. It was one of Netflix' first shows!
    Ya it seemed strange to me too. It was very highly rated and drew a large audience. I wonder what the production costs were like. I was looking forward to see where Bullseye went. There were so many options still left to explore. I imagine this doesn't look good for the future of Jessica Jones and The Punisher, both of which have yet to be cancelled as far as I know...

Rylant

Dobber Sports Expert

Jessica Jones and Punisher both have upcoming seasons already filmed. They're as good as gone after that.

I did really enjoy season 3 though, ending on a high note isn't the worst thing in the world. I imagine they're all being cancelled as part of a dispute with Disney which is a shame. Disney may make some decent Marvel shows for their service but I can't see them producing a show where someone is blugeoned to death with a car door or forces their mother to brutally kill herself.