Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Does beer matter to you?

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default Re: Does beer matter to you?

I am in Alberta and there is a bit of a craft beer explosion happening right now. The quality of beer coming out here is quite amazing. Standard pricing for the regular lines from the craft breweries is about $14 for 4 tall cans or a 6 pack.

For a light drinking patio lager, my go to is Ribstone Creek Lager.

For something a little more adventurous the New England IPA from Blindman Brewing is really good. Hoppy but citrusy hops and not bitter at all.

Best beer I have ever had was from Upright Brewing in Portland, OR. It was a limited release of Heart's Beat bottled still. Weird to have an uncarbonated beer but it was amazing.

My love is barrel aged beers but unfortunately those don't come cheap. Founders out of the US makes a lot of good barrel aged beers that are more widely available. Most are higher alcohol content so only good for one a night.

From the East Coast 2 Crows brewing makes a lot of quality stuff and like someone mentioned NickelBrook is good too. I also like dieu du ciel from Quebec.
    Evgeni from the Bloc
    12 Team, H2H, Keep 10
    Daily Starts: 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G

G,A,+/-,PPP, SHP, SOG, HIT, BLK
    W, GAA, SV, SV%, SHO

C: Tavares, Malkin, Johansen, Couture
    LW: Schenn (C), Kreider, Skinner, Kane
    RW: [B]Kucherov, Seguin (C), Wheeler, REinhart (C), Ehlers (LW)
    D: Byfuglien, Provorov, Giordano, de Haan, Phaneuf
    G: Bobrovsky, Lehner, Saros

2017 Picks: 1,2,3,5,6,6,7,8,9,10,11

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by davidgoodburn View Post
    I am in Alberta and there is a bit of a craft beer explosion happening right now. The quality of beer coming out here is quite amazing. Standard pricing for the regular lines from the craft breweries is about $14 for 4 tall cans or a 6 pack.

For a light drinking patio lager, my go to is Ribstone Creek Lager.

For something a little more adventurous the New England IPA from Blindman Brewing is really good. Hoppy but citrusy hops and not bitter at all.

Best beer I have ever had was from Upright Brewing in Portland, OR. It was a limited release of Heart's Beat bottled still. Weird to have an uncarbonated beer but it was amazing.

My love is barrel aged beers but unfortunately those don't come cheap. Founders out of the US makes a lot of good barrel aged beers that are more widely available. Most are higher alcohol content so only good for one a night.

From the East Coast 2 Crows brewing makes a lot of quality stuff and like someone mentioned NickelBrook is good too. I also like dieu du ciel from Quebec.
    I have had a couple of theirs beers (Pollyanna - IPA, Liesse table beer) and they were good. The table beer was kind of light for my liking.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Veteran

1. I almost exclusively drink Budweiser, but will throw down the odd Landshark from time to time.
    2. Coors is a good cheap beer. (Coors is cheap right?)
    3. Fairweather Brewing has a beer called "Silky" which is by far the best craft beer I've tried.
    16 Team - Keep 5 - H2H Points
    Start: 2C/2LW/2RW/4D/2G - 4Bench
    G/A(1.25) STP(1.5) GWG(3) SOG(0.25) H(0.2) Blks(0.25) +/-(0.25) PIM(0.1) FOW(0.1)

C: Malkin, Kopitar, Hartman, Johansen
    LW: Ovechkin, Pacioretty, Barbashev (C)
    RW: Rust, Mangiapane (LW), Rodrigues (LW)
    D: DeAngelo, Karlsson, Faulk, Morrisey, Myers
    G: A. Forsberg, Price, Reimer, Holtby

Dobber Sports Recruit

I enjoy Corona and Molson.

Dobber Sports Jedi

If you're a beer drinker, do you have a brand? Or do you just buy what's cheap? Or do you have a sophisticated taste and are into the craft brews?

Three questions/suggestions:

1. What is your favorite mainstream beer? mainstream? Hmm.. it's been a long time since i bought mainstream.. maybe Miller? Out in BC... I consider Red Racer, Rolling Rock mainstream since I can get them in 15 packs - Red Racer now has 15 packs of tall cans - that Hop Pack... Mmmm...

2. What is your favorite "cheap" beer? That is to say - which struggling independent beer-maker actually has a good one (but maybe the 'snobs' won't buy it because it's cheap) -- Sneaky Weasel - it's got some depth to it and a 6 pack is $8.99 at the BC Liquor Store taxes in. And a 15 pack for $17.99+tax/deposit

3. Best specialty beer (dark, red, blonde - can be from craft brewery or not) I've got two go two special crafts - 1. Phillips Chocolate Porter (Victoria) not too sweet, not too burnt. (feel like GoldieLocks) 2. Driftwood's Naughty Hildegard - and ESB - Extra Special Bitter. More well rounded than most Pale Ales. Not overly hoppy. You just can't go wrong with this one.

Going really local - Longwood Brew Pub (Nanaimo) - Czech Pilser & Longwood Ale -- Whitesails (a new micro) has a really good Pale Ale & Session Ale
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    If you're a beer drinker, do you have a brand? Or do you just buy what's cheap? Or do you have a sophisticated taste and are into the craft brews?

1. What is your favorite mainstream beer? mainstream? Hmm.. it's been a long time since i bought mainstream.. maybe Miller? Out in BC... I consider Red Racer, Rolling Rock mainstream since I can get them in 15 packs - Red Racer now has 15 packs of tall cans - that Hop Pack... Mmmm...

2. What is your favorite "cheap" beer? That is to say - which struggling independent beer-maker actually has a good one (but maybe the 'snobs' won't buy it because it's cheap) -- Sneaky Weasel - it's got some depth to it and a 6 pack is $8.99 at the BC Liquor Store taxes in. And a 15 pack for $17.99+tax/deposit

3. Best specialty beer (dark, red, blonde - can be from craft brewery or not) I've got two go two special crafts - 1. Phillips Chocolate Porter (Victoria) not too sweet, not too burnt. (feel like GoldieLocks) 2. Driftwood's Naughty Hildegard - and ESB - Extra Special Bitter. More well rounded than most Pale Ales. Not overly hoppy. You just can't go wrong with this one.

Going really local - Longwood Brew Pub (Nanaimo) - Czech Pilser & Longwood Ale -- Whitesails (a new micro) has a really good Pale Ale & Session Ale

MMMM, you are right, I forgot about the Longboat chocolate Porter from Philips. A tasty one indeed.

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Monster

Since I'm trying to watch what I eat/drink, if I had to have a drink I would drink a Coors Light. Am not big into drinking beer so I usually just drink vodka + diet soda but that is once in a blue moon. I like the taste of Budweiser. I use to drink Rickard's Red, I haven't tried that for a few years now .... will have to try it again. Use to be my go to beer.

But if I wasn't on a diet, I wouldn't even take a second look at Coors Light!

If a beer is free then I'm not picky. I remember about 8 years ago I thought my dad would like Rickard's Red, so I bought him a 6 pack and brought it to him. The whole time he complained about the taste and said how it made his stomach upset, meanwhile he's still finishing every single beer ... I couldn't help but laugh. I said I could finish it lol.

Dobber Sports Deity

My ship is docking in Glasgow Scotland this afternoon. A few buddies of mine off the boat are headed to a place called the Bier Halle. Check out the beer selection here. I am going to have a tough time choosing.

https://republicbierhalle.com/wordpr...nu0918aWeb.pdf

Dobber Sports Icon

I'm not about to go out of my way for a craft beer. We have a decent micro brewery here in Regina..Rebellion ( buddy of mine owns a part). They make decent beer but be prepared to get destroyed, I dont think theres one thats less than 7%.

Other than that its Pil(sner) or Bud or maybe Coors Banquet. Moosehead if I'm feeling sophisticated lol.
    ESPN Roto 10 team
    24 man roster (+3 IR) - Keep 20 - Daily settings
    Start 3C, 3LW, 3RW, 5D, 2G, 1UTIL
    G,A,PTS, +/-, PIM, PPA, PPG, D PTS - W, SV, SV%

C- Zegras, Suzuki, Carlsson
    RW- Batherson, Michkov, Quinn, Perfetti(C,LW), Foerster, Kakko
    LW- BTkachuk, Stutzle(C), Byfield(C), McTavish(C), Benson
    D- Mintyukov, Sanderson, LHughes, Clarke, Faber
    G- Wolf, Askarov, Wallstedt
    IR- Norris(C)
    IR- Fantilli(C)
    IR-

Picks in 2024/25 rounds 1,1,1,2
    Picks in 2025/26 rounds 1,1,3,4

Dobber Sports Genius

Not really as others have pointed out at this point in my life I am more calorie conscious so I tend to drink the lighter beers. If I am splurging on alcohol I tend to buy a better bottle of red wine or a spirit (good vodka, scotch, whiskey).
    12 Team Keep 5 (2 F, 1 D, 1 G, 1 Any) G,A,PTS,PPP,SOG,HITS,PIMS,W,GAA and Sv%.

F: Kucherov, K.Connor, J. Hughes,, J.Guentzel, A.Svechnikov,
    D: Q. Hughes,
    G:Bobrovsky

Dobber Sports Sage

1. What is your favorite mainstream beer? For a number of years it was Bud Light Lime but I haven't had any since the summer. I have been rotating between Bud Light Lime and Heineken Light for the last 5 years or so.

2. What is your favorite "cheap" beer? That is to say - which struggling independent beer-maker actually has a good one (but maybe the 'snobs' won't buy it because it's cheap) I like Busch Lite. 30 pack for $12. It is watery and I can drink 4 or 5 during an evening of watching sports. It is what I bring on a camping trip or to a tailgate. I usually have a couple in the fridge's crisper.

3. Best specialty beer (dark, red, blonde - can be from craft brewery or not) I don't really drink much fancy beer even though I have tried a lot of things over the years. Trying different beers was never something that excited me. My experience was that specialty beers were usually stronger than what I liked. I like a 3-4% alcohol beer. But it I am out I will get the house red beer especially if I go to a microbrewery. Otherwise, Killians, Sam Adams Octoberfest, or Guiness are what I'll order in a restaurant but I rarely buy it for home.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Apprentice

1. Mainstream - I really don’t. I have the good fortune to have close to 30 independent breweries within a 20 mile radius of my house so I always have fresh, local options stocked in my beer fridge. I will though, stock up on Mich Ultra in summer to drink while doing yard work - it’s alcohol content is slightly higher than H2O.
    2. Favorite cheap beer - Yuengling Lager. Somewhat local, not bad, cheap, and a viable option for the post game beverage in the beer league.
    3. Best Specialty Beers: Session IPAs (UFO has an excellent one) and farmhouse ales (DuPont).
    2012 DobberHockey Hall of Fame - Player's Category

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by Dobber View Post

1. What is your favorite mainstream beer?

2. What is your favorite "cheap" beer? That is to say - which struggling independent beer-maker actually has a good one (but maybe the 'snobs' won't buy it because it's cheap)

3. Best specialty beer (dark, red, blonde - can be from craft brewery or not)
    1. I try to stay away from mainstream beers because they aren't worth the calories. If I'm drinking a beer, it better be worth it. I guess the closest would be Big Rock here in Southern Alberta. Their main stuff is average at best. But still far superior to anything that would be considered mainstream. If you go to their limited editions, they still have some great beer.

2. If you want cheap good tasting beer, I stick to the craft stuff that Costco carries. They usually have craft 24 mix packs for $30-35 that are worth drinking. Big Rock and Okanagan Springs are usually there right now. Last year they carried Red Racer and it was always great.

3. Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA. Phillips Electric Unicorn White IPA. Whistler Chestnut Brown Ale. Fernie Red Caboose. I could go on for days here....

If you are in the states and want great beer, pick up anything from Deschutes, they are outstanding.

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11