Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gaudreau/McAvoy

Dobber Sports Master

Default Re: Gaudreau/McAvoy

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    I think as soon as a smaller player gets knocked down, there should be a suspension. The NHL has to protect their talented players in such a violent sport. They can't have smaller players getting injured by the bigger bullies. Because it's 2018. For the record, it's not the players lobbying for suspensions for these hits. Where was the outcry for Theo Fleury or Marty St. Louis or Mark Recchi?

By all means, let's call for suspensions every time a player is injured, even when it was done when a penalty was warranted. That should see a dramatic drop, why, a dive you might say, in the number of players getting injured.
    I can't tell you how much I loved this hahahahahaha!

It was an interference call. That's it. The ref called it. I don't see any need to discuss beyond that. It's nothing like Tom Wilson's garbage..
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Giant

I'm usually one of the first to agree on calling for suspensions in this league, but I just don't see it. Watched the play several times, and I still don't find the play dirty beyond the usual chippiness between players.
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mounD View Post
    I'm usually one of the first to agree on calling for suspensions in this league, but I just don't see it. Watched the play several times, and I still don't find the play dirty beyond the usual chippiness between players.
    It's the same precedent as Pettersson.

Dobber Sports Ninja

If your whole point was that the Department of Player Safety is inconsistent as all hell, I don't think you're going to find anyone who disagrees with you.

Seems to me though that the whole point of this thread is that you're salty a hit on a Canucks player got a suspension and a hit to a Calgary player didn't. With all due respect, I think the Canucks have paid the price for that already at times that it mattered way more.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Quote Originally Posted by bondon View Post
    you're salty a hit on a Canucks player got a suspension and a hit to a Calgary player didn't.
    The point of the thread is people have double standards based on their preferences. You cannot rationally make an argument the Pettersson hit should be a suspension and this one shouldn't. You can change the names in the DoPS video for the suspension and not notice the difference in explanation. Those people have shown they can't objectively see how its the same concept/precedent of a play. Their biases are the only thing leading to thinking the Pettersson play should actually be a suspension. Point sufficiently proven.

Dobber Sports Superstar

The only argument you can make on this one is the upper arm to the head. Otherwise it's a completely clean hit.

The puck was right there, you can't call it late. I didn't think the Matheson hit was all that late either, nor was it much of a hit. It was the throw to the ice that was the problem. Not a 2 game suspension problem though.

My guess would be any suspension talk depends on whether Gaudreau ends up out with a concussion. If not, then nothing.

Administrator

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Giant

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    It's the same precedent as Pettersson.
    They're completely different hits for a number of reasons. Not only was the Matheson hit later (and the puck much further away), but it wasn't even the initial hit for which Matheson actually received the suspension but instead the whole "body slam" part. The DoPS is, of course, wildly inconsistent in their rulings, but I'm not so sure this is a great example. We're talking about two entirely different plays here.

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    The only argument you can make on this one is the upper arm to the head. Otherwise it's a completely clean hit.
    "It was clean other than this one very not clean thing they regularly suspend"

Quote Originally Posted by Kofax View Post
    The puck was right there, you can't call it late.
    The puck was at the face off dot on a Bruins players stick, Gaudreau was close enough to touch the post lol. Rask was watching the play go up the ice.

Dobber Sports Giant

"It was clean other than this one very not clean thing they regularly suspend"

The puck was at the face off dot on a Bruins players stick, Gaudreau was close enough to touch the post lol. Rask was watching the play go up the ice.
    When McAvoy initiates contact with Gaudreau, the puck is no more than 2-3 feet from both players' skates about halfway between the goal line and the left circle. At this exact moment, Pastrnak (the player who collects the puck) is still circling down in the zone and is just below the hash marks (about 6-7 feet from the puck) but the puck is definitely not on his stick, and in fact he's a 2-3x further away from the puck than both McAvoy and Gaudreau.

If you freeze the video right around :04 you should be able to see this quite clearly. Furthermore, Rask is still sprawled out with his head tilted to the right side, clearly still watching the puck that has yet to be collected following the save on Gaudreau. I can agree that the hit didn't look great, but you have to look at the facts here. Exaggerating the circumstances isn't going to prove your point.

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

If it is a late hit, there is a lot a them during a hockey game
    I think it's normal that sometimes the player has no longer the puck when he is hit, there is a delay between the decision to make the hit and the action of doing it
    10 Keepers Salary Cap League (96,025,000M Cap - Players CAP-HIT)
    8 Teams / 12 FW, 6 D, 1G, 4 Scratches
    +6 ELC contracts (farm)

F: 1xG + 1xA
    D: 2xG + 1xA
    G: 2xW + 1xOTL + 1xSO

F: Hintz, J. Hughes, Schmaltz, Zacha, Hyman, Novak, Hartman, Stamkos, Knies, Marchessault, Konecny, Monahan,
    D: Heiskanen, Andersson, Sergachev, Mintyukov, Addison, Guhle

G: Shesterkin

Scratch : Dach, Wheeler, Eklund,
    Lundkvist
    FARM : Edvinsson, Stankoven, Kulich, Musty, Leonard, Hutson

Dobber Sports Stud

Late to the party.

I'm a Flames fan and hated the hit on Johnny. It was late and deserved a penalty.

Still a Flames fan and hated the hit on Pettersson. It was from behind which deserved a boarding penalty. It was also too rough on the finish, it deserved a roughing penalty.

The only problem I see is that the refs got the calls on Johnny dead on and missed it on the Pettersson hit.
    The league got the suspensions dead on for Johnny and screwed up on Pettersson.
    But are we surprised? That's what DOPS is known for.

14 Team, Keep14 Farm5, 82GP Cap/Position
    Skaters: Points only, Goalies 2ptWin/3ptSO
    Start: 4C,4LW,4RW,6D,2G
    C- Crosby, Zibanejad, Couturier, Zacha, Frost
    LW- Marchand, Huberdeau, McTavish, Rackell, Kuzmenko
    RW- Konecny, Necas, Caufield, Jarvis, Lafreniere
    D- Hughes, Carlson, Werenski, Chychrun, Andersson, Dobson, Weegar
    G- Andersen, Merzlikins, Daccord, Jones
    Farm- Johnston, Foerster, Tarasov, Hutson, Reinbacher
    Picks-1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,11

Dobber Sports Superstar

Really not sure what play you're watching then.

Shot.png

Considering how fast the play moves, it was barely past him at the point of contact.

I already stated I didn't like the head contact.

Dobber Sports Ninja

The point of the thread is people have double standards based on their preferences. You cannot rationally make an argument the Pettersson hit should be a suspension and this one shouldn't. You can change the names in the DoPS video for the suspension and not notice the difference in explanation. Those people have shown they can't objectively see how its the same concept/precedent of a play. Their biases are the only thing leading to thinking the Pettersson play should actually be a suspension. Point sufficiently proven.
    You know I've got a lot of respect for you on the whole but I can't help but think that the only thing you've proven here is your own personal bias.
    Goalies: If I'm pickin em you best be sittin em!

Dobber Sports Ninja

The severity of some of these types of hits can be attributed to a serious height difference. McAvoy is what 6-3 and Gaudreau is legitimately what, 5-7? Players shoulders and elbows, even if tucked are more likely to make contact with the opposing players head. Just pointing out the obvious.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket