Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Gaudreau/McAvoy

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: Gaudreau/McAvoy

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    The severity of some of these types of hits can be attributed to a serious height difference. McAvoy is what 6-3 and Gaudreau is legitimately what, 5-7? Players shoulders and elbows, even if tucked are more likely to make contact with the opposing players head. Just pointing out the obvious.
    So like Matheson being naturally bigger and stronger than Pettersson?

Dobber Sports Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    So like Matheson being naturally bigger and stronger than Pettersson?
    Naturally.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Dobber Sports Padawan

That's a clean hit. McAvoy doing his job. Big D-man, small forward, puck was right there, clear the crease and eliminate the threat. Hockey play.

This has no relation to the Matheson-Pettersson incident. Matheson grabbed Pettersson and tossed him on the ice. Not a hockey play.

Let it be known that I do not care for the Bruins, Flames, Panthers or Canucks just to eliminate the whole fan bias thing.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

Quote Originally Posted by The Guvnah View Post
    That's a clean hit. McAvoy doing his job. Big D-man, small forward, puck was right there, clear the crease and eliminate the threat. Hockey play.

This has no relation to the Matheson-Pettersson incident. Matheson grabbed Pettersson and tossed him on the ice. Not a hockey play.

Let it be known that I do not care for the Bruins, Flames, Panthers or Canucks just to eliminate the whole fan bias thing.
    McAvoy elbowed Gaudreau in the head. Not a hockey play.

Dobber Sports Padawan

McAvoy elbowed Gaudreau in the head. Not a hockey play.
    I haven't seen an angle that shows that definitively. Could easily have been his upper arm.

10th year Keeper League, Fantrax

14 teams, H2H, keep 10, daily starts
    G (3), A (2), +/- (1), PIM (0.1), PPP (1), FOW (0.1), FOL (-0.1), BLK (0.5), HAT (3), W (5), SO (3), SV (0.1), GA (-0.5)

C (3) - Schmaltz (LW, RW), Mercer (RW), Norris (IR), Domi (LW), T. Johnson (RW), Nosek (LW)
    LW (3) - Keller (RW), Hagel, McCann (C), Zacha (LW), Kubalik (RW), N. Foligno (IR)
    RW (3) - Fiala (LW), Vilardi (C), Ehlers (LW), Kakko
    D (4) - Theodore, Orlov, Grzelcyk, T. van Riemsdyk, Clifton, Skjei, Weegar
    Util (1)
    G (1) - Montembault, Allen, Halak

F7116E57-C555-4058-8D74-9A361389C515.jpeg

For your viewing pleasure

Dobber Sports Ninja

This is exactly why I mentioned the height differential. McAvoy's elbow is tucked. Short of not throwing hits, I don't know how taller players can play physical against smaller opponents.
    "For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry God. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now and at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon. Amen." - Sterling Archer

"Don't spray that urine on my sons window. If you want a dollar for doing nothing, walk to Canada." - Malory Archer

“Anyone who thinks the pen is mightier than the sword has not been stabbed with both.” - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by The Comish View Post
    This is exactly why I mentioned the height differential. McAvoy's elbow is tucked. Short of not throwing hits, I don't know how taller players can play physical against smaller opponents.
    Short of not interacting with Pettersson, I dunno what Matheson was supposed to do to be physical against a smaller opponent. Also McAvoy’s arm was extended from his body lol.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Short of not interacting with Pettersson, I dunno what Matheson was supposed to do to be physical against a smaller opponent. Also McAvoy’s arm was extended from his body lol.
    Definitely agreed on Matheson. Follow through for McAvoy?

As I’ve stated from the start, my assertion isn’t that the Gaudreau hit is a suspension. It’s that if the Pettersson hit is because of interference and unsportsmanlike conduct, than the McAvoy one was for the identical reasons. I haven’t seen any argument provided that it wasn’t interference significantly late or unsportsmanlike for Gaudreau embarrassing McAvoy, because that argument doesn’t exist.

Dobber Sports Ninja

I just read this:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/new...cid=spartanntp

"Gaudreau, who is five-foot-nine, said size played a factor in the collision."

I really like Johhny Hockey. Theo Fleury is my favourite player of all time. As an Oiler fan, this hurts. As a guy who is 5'5", this makes sense.

Yes, please continue to compare the current NHL to *checks notes* 13 years ago when *checks notes* the Pettersson hit also wouldn’t be illegal and *checks notes one more time* hits like Stevens on Kariya was still legal. Very relevant.

Dobber Sports Ninja

Yes, please continue to compare the current NHL to *checks notes* 13 years ago when *checks notes* the Pettersson hit also wouldn’t be illegal and *checks notes one more time* hits like Stevens on Kariya was still legal. Very relevant.
    Meh, my comparison was for size or lack thereof, so by all means continue to obfuscate my point, which was being short and on the small side has some obvious disadvantages in a rough and tumble sport such as hockey or ice hockey as many non-Canadians call the game.

Special for you rataylor22: