Thread: I have 5 goalies... help me narrow them down to 3

Dobber Sports Initiate

Default I have 5 goalies... help me narrow them down to 3

Roto League, W/GAA/SV%/SO

Had some bad injuries... now I don?t know who to keep!

Quick,
    Price,
    Crawford,
    Varlamov,
    Kinkaid.

Which 3 do you roll with?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: I have 5 goalies... help me narrow them down to 3

Quote Originally Posted by bluck View Post
    Roto League, W/GAA/SV%/SO

Had some bad injuries... now I don?t know who to keep!

Quick,
    Price,
    Crawford,
    Varlamov,
    Kinkaid.

Which 3 do you roll with?
    Deal Varlamov before he gets hurt.
    Deal Kinkaid to whoever has Schneider.
    Evansville Icemen District-5 Ducks
    LOEGM - 12 GM H2H Keeper
    G A PT SOG STA STG TRUC FOW
    W GA SV SV% SO
    WHL - 24 GM H2H Salary
    G A +/- PIM SOG PPP HIT BLK FOW
    W GA SV SO
    View Roster View Roster

Dobber Sports Icon

Roto league? I assume a max games for G of 164. Depending on the number of teams, I would roll with all 5 for now, bank some goalie GP and trade them later to a team desperate for goalie help. evans suggestion of moving Varly and Kinkaid aren't bad ideas though. Target the Grubauer and Schneider owners for sure. I also woulnd't be opposed to moving Price or Crawford instead of Varly if they would net you the best return.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Roto league? I assume a max games for G of 164. Depending on the number of teams, I would roll with all 5 for now, bank some goalie GP and trade them later to a team desperate for goalie help. evans suggestion of moving Varly and Kinkaid aren't bad ideas though. Target the Grubauer and Schneider owners for sure. I also woulnd't be opposed to moving Price or Crawford instead of Varly if they would net you the best return.
    Thanks for the insight! Yep you?re right with the 164 game max, problem is we only have 7 teams. Having said that the wire for goalies at the moment is super thin with only goalies like Ward, Reiner, etc available. Trading would be an option but in a 7 team league people have goalies like Bishop, Murray and a Talbot for example all on one team. Not sure who they would drop to make room. Same goes for most teams in my league

Big Daddy

I'm currently carrying 7 goalies in a start 2 Roto league - 164 max haha. The way I see it is you can manage your goalie starts and not burn through all your games in net whereas for skaters, chances are your starters are significantly better than your bench players so why bother with a large skater bench?
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Initiate

The issue I am going to have is when Crawford and Quick come back from the IR I will have to drop 2 players...I mean I don't have too right away, I can hold out for a bit but it will have to happen eventually. Here's my team... this is why it is a very difficult decision haha like who do you legit drop from that?

7 Man ROTO league - makes it tough to trade goalies especially this early in the season. Most arn't ready to give up on the Bishops' and Jones' yet.

Roster Positions: C, C, C, LW, LW, RW, RW, D, D, D, D, Util, G, G, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR

Forwards/Defensemen Stat Categories: Goals (G), Assists (A), Plus/Minus (+/-), Penalty Minutes (PIM), Powerplay Points (PPP), Shorthanded Points (SHP), Game-Winning Goals (GWG), Shots on Goal (SOG), Hits (HIT), Blocks (BLK)

Goaltenders Stat Categories: Wins (W), Goals Against Average (GAA), Save Percentage (SV%), Shutouts (SHO)

C: S. Crosby, T. Seguin, J. Eichel
    LW: J. Benn, A. Panarin
    RW: B. Wheeler, P. Kessel
    D: P.K. Subban, D. Hamilton, J. Muzzin, A. Edler
    BN: A. Radulov, R. Rakell, M. Tkachuk, K. Palmieri, A. Debrincat, J. Petry
    G: C. Price, S. Varlamov, K. Kinkaid
    IR: J. Quick, C. Crawford

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Of these, I want to keep Quick, and he's on IR, so that's easy.

I'd look to see if there's a team with an injured skater that can help you with this dilemma, that could use some goalie help. Especially if you end up moving guys who are in tandems. Look for a good return, and see what happens.
    Want a Signature? Go to Settings, and you'll find Edit Signature down the list on the left.

Dobber Sports Genius

The issue I am going to have is when Crawford and Quick come back from the IR I will have to drop 2 players...I mean I don't have too right away, I can hold out for a bit but it will have to happen eventually.
    So... this is what you have to work with: Quick, Price, Crawford, Varlamov, Kinkaid. You are in good shape here.

You are probably right about not having a trade market for your goalies, based on the size and shape of your league. I'd probably not even look at trades as a serious option and base decisions around outright drops.

- Quick is 100% a guy you want on your team, whether he is on the IR or healthy.
    - Price is guy you hold onto. Hell, Montreal is 4-1-1.

Now the tricky business.
    - Crawford has been an excellent fantasy goalie.
    - Kinkaid is on fire but Schnieder is not around.
    - Varlamov has been a good goalie when healthy. Currently, he is healthy and the team is playing on is doing well. Sure, Grubauer showed up this summer but Varly still has the net.

I'd be very leery of Crawford right now. The guy has not played in 10 months and is coming off of a major brain injury. I want to see him succeed and have a great season, but, it is just as likely that he plays a few games then disappears again on the IR. I would not base any roster decisions factoring Crawford as a fulltime goalie.

If you can get something, anything, for Kinkaid right now his value is likely as high as it is going to get (barring Schnieder suffering a season-ending injury and the Devils winning the division).

Varlamov is worth more to you than anything you can get in trade (right now).

What you have on your side is time. You don't really have to anything right now if you don't want to. I'd probably look at trying to keep 4 of the 5 goalies. It is always good to be a goalie-have team. I think you need to sit back and let the season unfold. You have the pieces to be able to maneuver the ebbs and flow that the season throws at you.
    - I said... "God damn this tablet is heavy!"

Dobber Sports Initiate

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    So this is what you have to work with: Quick, Price, Crawford, Varlamov, Kinkaid. You are in good shape here.

You are probably right about not having a trade market for your goalies, based on the size and shape of your league. I'd probably not even look at trades as a serious option and base decisions around outright drops.

- Quick is 100% a guy you want on your team, whether he is on the IR or healthy.
    - Price is guy you hold onto. Hell Montreal is 4-1-1.

Now the tricky business.
    - Crawford has been an excellent fantasy goalie.
    - Kinkaid is on fire but Schnieder is not around.
    - Varlamov has been a good goalie when healthy. Currently, he is healthy and the team is playing on is doing well. Sure Grubauer showed up this summer but Varly still has the net.

I'd be very leery of Crawford right now. The guy has not played in 10 months and is coming off of a major brain injury. I want to see him succeed and have a great season but it is just as likely that he plays a few games then disappears again on the IR. I would not base any roster decisions factoring Crawford as a fulltime goalie.

If you can get something, anything, for Kinkaid right now his value is likely as high as it is going to get (barring Schnieder suffering a season-ending injury and the Devils winning the division).

Varlamov is worth more to you than anything you can get in trade (right now).

What you have on your side is time. You don't really have to anything right now if you don't want to. I'd probably look at trying to keep 4 of the 5 goalies. It is always good to be a goalie - have team. I think you need to sit back and let the season unfold. You have the pieces to be able to maneuver the ebbs and flow that the season throws at you.
    Thank you so much for the most well thought out response I have ever read to an answer to any of my questions. I really appreciate the time you put into it. I will follow that advice completely. The trade market is tough since the league is shallow... there is one GM that is usually a little frisky...and is last in goalie stats, he does have Murray, Bishop and Fleury though. If anything I would try to upgrade Eichel + a Goalie for Tavares or Kuznetsov + whatever I guess. He has McDavid as his other centre. Doubt he moves JT but I wouldnt mind moving Eichel due to that +/-. Worth a shot I guess?

Dobber Sports Genius

Thank you so much...
    You are welcome! Keep us updated on how this plays out.

Dobber Sports Genius

So... How did this play out? Which three did you end up keeping?