Thread: Josh Morrissey

Dobber Sports Apprentice

Default Josh Morrissey

what?s the point on Josh Morrissey?
    Worth owning in keeperleagues...or just while Big Buff is out?

Would you drop Rattie for him?
    I also own McDavid...so i don?t know if this is a good decision?

Team and league infos in sig!
    16-team H2H fantrax dynasty league:20 active spots ( 4 C/LW/RW- 6D-2G)5 bench15minorCategories:G A +/- PPP SHP SOG PIM HIT BLK FOW TOI GV TKGP W GAA SV SV% SHO
    My Team:
    C:Eichel / Couturier / Hertl / Scheifele /Stützle
    LW: Ovechkin / Hyman/ E.Kane /Jeannot/ DeBrincat/Nichushkin
    RW: Meier/ Seguin/ Bjorkstrand/P.Kane/Necas/Batherson
    D: Nurse / Seider /Sergachev/Dahlin/Cernak/Guhle/Jiricek
    G: Vasilevsky / Sorokin / Samsonov
    Minors:Kasper /Räty/Pospisil/E.Sale/C.Ritchie/Yager/Sandin Pelikka/Ty Nelson/Gulyayev/Yurov/Simashev / Tarasov (G) /Clang (G)/ Gajan(G)

Dobber Sports Sage

Default Re: Josh Morrissey

I added him for this week thinking Buff could miss a couple more games. So far so good. When he comes back he's likely a drop in my league (probably next week). My league is 208 players deep but with the ir spots it's probably about 220-230 deep at any given time.

Anyone on the jets PP1 needs to be rostered this deep imo. Kind of comes down to how deep your league is and how good your team is at that position.

I don't see rattie in your signature, probably just needs to be updated. I don't see anyone I want to drop per say but maybe that will change if it's updated. Also you start 6 d and only have 6 listed so I'd like him as a temporary move for your team while the prime deployment lasts. That said Buff seems like he's coming back soon so buyer beware.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Master

Morrissey is a future star. If you could find a way to make room for him, it would be absolutely worth it. It doesn't show now, but the comparisons to Duncan Keith are legitimate. He is that good defensively and offensively, he hasn't even scratched the surface. He made some slick, heady passes running PP1. All he needs is an opportunity and it will come.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Novice

Posted this in the Yearly forum as well... One of the best Player discussions I've seen for him.

"ProHockeyScout

60 points·1 day ago·edited 1 day ago

I've watched Morrissey for close to two years now. In my mind, he is one of the most underrated players in the NHL.

Pedigree - Morrissey was drafted 13th overall in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. He was also the 4th defenceman selected, behind only Seth Jones (future Norris contender), Darnell Nurse (another fantasy sleeper), and Samuel Morin. In the WHL, he amassed 66 goals and 196 points through 249 games.

Style of Play - I had Morrissey on my fantasy radar coming into this season primarily for his peripherals and partially for his offensive upside. He is an intelligent, reliable, two-way player. For a 23 year-old defenceman, his decision-making is phenomenal and his positional play is flawless. It's as if he sees the game in slow motion.

Deployment - Through his first two full seasons, Morrissey was used in most 5-on-5 situations and as a lead penalty killer. In that time, he averaged close to 2 blocks and 2 hits per game, making him particularly valuable in (banger) leagues that count those stats. As coach Paul Maurice has gained more confidence in young Morrissey, he is now being used in all situations and averages over 23 minutes per game... second to only Dustin Byfuglien.

WPG's Defence Core - While Winnipeg does have a strong D-core, they are stacked at RD and relatively weak at LD. Byfuglien, Trouba, and Myers are right-handed shots. Morrissey, Chiarot, Morrow, and Kulikov are left-handed shots. With the departure of Tobias Enstrom, Morrissey has become the go-to LD in all situations.

Power Play Usage - Last season, the Winnipeg Jets had the league's fifth most effective power play at 23.4%. Big Buff QBed PP1 and Tyler Myers QBed PP2. With Buff missing a couple games of action early this season, Morrissey was finally given his opportunity. I believe he will continue to QB the top unit:

• Since 2016, the top unit has relied on two main weapons: (1) The one-timer from Laine at the top of the left circle and, as teams began to key on Laine, (2) the snapshot from Scheifele in the slot.
    • On the PP, Buff's shot from the point has not been a true threat. As a RD, he eliminates the one-time option to Laine when he winds up for a shot.
    • As a LD, Morrissey has the option to shoot from the point, or slap-pass to Laine for the one-timer. Morrissey scored exactly this way on the PP in yesterday's game. Raanta cheated to the post nearest Laine, and Morrissey hammered a slapshot to the bottom-right corner for his first of the year.
    • Perhaps more importantly, Buff now makes the second-unit a legitimate scoring threat. In the past, PP2 has never really scored for Winnipeg. PP1 was simply stacked with all the offensive talent. In yesterday's game, however, PP2 generated just as many scoring chances as PP1. It makes sense for Maurice to diversify (and increase) his scoring by maintaining this setup.

Bottom Line - Josh Morrissey is a criminally underrated player. Obviously, he will not sustain his 72 point pace. But nobody in Winnipeg will be surprised if he surpasses 50 points. Even if he does not remain on the top PP, his absolute floor will be 35 points. All the while, he will consistently rack-up hits and blocks for your team. Pick him up now!"

C - Tavares, zibanejad, Scheifele
    Forwards:
    LW-RW- Aho, W. Karlsson, Skinner, Hoffman, Kessel, Palmieri, Pavelski
    D - Burns, Seth Jones, Krug, Chabot
    G - Freddy Anderson, Fleury

H2H Yahoo Weekly Match-up
    Banger League System - G A PPP GWG SOG FW HIT BLK Goalie W L GA SV SHO

2016-2017 League Champ

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Thanks for sharing!
    12 Team, Weekly H2H w/ Daily Lineups, Keep 5

[SIZE=1]Scoring: PLAYER: G, A, PIM, PP, Hit, Blk, FoW, SOG GOALIE: Save, W, GAA, S%
    Positions - 3C, 3RW, 3LW, 5D, 2G, 5 Bench, 3 IR

C: Eriksson Ek, Eichel, Hischier, McTavish (LW)
    LW: Jenner(C), Kane, Johnston (C,RW), Lafreniere (RW)
    RW: A. Svechnikov (L), Cozens (RW), Byfield (C,LW), Hathaway, McCarron
    D: McAvoy, Nurse, Werenski, Seeler, Faber
    G: Shesterkin, Saros, Skinner

​2017-18 and 2019/20 Champion, 2nd place 2023-34, 3rd place 2015-16, 16-17 , 18-19, 20-21

Dobber Sports Sage

Morrissey off PP1 tonight. Going to need to monitor this closely....
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Sage

Byfuglien owners rejoice! Two games in a row where he's got the big minutes on PP1 again.

I figured unless Morrissey kept producing at a silly rate that would happen. Morrissey is quickly going to go back to waiver wire stream material in leagues like mine without the pp1 time.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Drop Morrissey for Vince Dunn? Or am I just chasing points?

G A PP +/-

Dobber Sports Padawan

I don't see Dunn getting PP1 time for much longer
    [FONT=trebuchet ms]
    7 Partial Keeper (Keep 5 + 2 reserve spots) 12F (G,A=1) 6D (G,A=1.5) 2G (W=2,OTL=1,SO=1)
    F: MacKinnon, Marner, Svechnikov, J.Hughes, Konecny, Ziba, Malkin, Kaprisov, Monahan, Reinhart, Tarasenko, Seguin (Hintz while IR)
    D: Chabot, Q.Hughes, Barrie, Sergachev, Burns, Dobson
    G: Price, Hellebuyck
    Reserve: Kakko, Gusev