Thread: Benn and Mantha Vs Keller and Pavelski

Dobber Sports Pro

Default Benn and Mantha Vs Keller and Pavelski

I'm in a keeper format, and currently Benn is my 2 year keeper, and I drafted Mantha this year.

I won't be keeping Mantha after this season or anything, as I'll be signing Boeser to 2 years, and my other keepers will be Wheeler and Barkov, and my rookie will be Zadina.

In my format, would you consider moving out Benn and Mantha for Keller and Pav? I feel like Benn >> Keller, and Pav >> Mantha, so it's pretty much a neautral deal, if not a bit of a hit for this year, and probably next year.

The advantage of getting Keller is that I could sign him to 4, and go into next year with Keller (4), Barkov (3), Wheeler (2), Boeser (2) and Zadina (R), or I could stand pat and have Benn (1), Wheeler (2), Boeser (2), Barkov (3), Zadina (R).

I'm not really looking to move Benn, but problem is if it were Wheeler instead, he said he'd want Boeser added in, and that just doesn't make sense because Pav I'll just have for this season.

Thoughts?
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    Goalie points: A (2), G (10), SHO (4), W (5), OL + ShL (2)
    Keepers: Kaprisov (4 yr), Svechnikov (3 yr), Point (2 yr), P Kane (1 yr)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    Bench: Trocheck, Rakell, Wedgewood, Francouz
    Rookie: Kochetkov
    IR:

Max GP: C (164), LW (164), RW (164), D (164), Skt (82), Goalie (82)
    1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    14 teams (4 keepers/team + can carry 1 rookie over)
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Padawan

Default Re: Benn and Mantha Vs Keller and Pavelski

It seems like a good long-term deal having Keller for 4 as opposed to Benn for 1. But if I think this is a team that can win it all this season, I'd be hesitant to make this deal simply because I'd be giving up the best player in the deal. If that's the case, I'd worry about next season next season. Plus you mentioned you're not really looking to move Benn, so right there I'd walk away.
    Follow me on Twitter @Ian_Gooding

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by gooding74 View Post
    It seems like a good long-term deal having Keller for 4 as opposed to Benn for 1. But if I think this is a team that can win it all this season, I'd be hesitant to make this deal simply because I'd be giving up the best player in the deal. If that's the case, I'd worry about next season next season. Plus you mentioned you're not really looking to move Benn, so right there I'd walk away.
    Can you look at my new thread about this deal?

Dobber Sports Jedi

you don't need 2 threads for one deal...
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Pro

That?s fine, can remove 1. It wasn?t because the initial only had 1 hit, just the new deal had a pick in it. Sorry!

Dobber Sports Jedi

Quote Originally Posted by LeafsFan1967 View Post
    That?s fine, can remove 1. It wasn?t because the initial only had 1 hit, just the new deal had a pick in it. Sorry!
    just update this one with the new deal by adding a post to the bottom of it.

Dobber Sports Pro

That?s fine, no problem.

Dobber Sports Jedi

what's the new offer??

Dobber Sports Pro

The offer would be my Benn and Mantha for Keller, Pavelski, and a 5th in 2019. I was saying in the other thread, I?m off to a slow start, in bottom 5 but it?s obviously early. Benn I have through next year, but If I get Keller, can sign him as my 4 after this season; so would have Keller 4 Barkov 3 Boeser/Wheeler 2 and Zadina, rookie. It?s a younger group vs going into this year, but looking at other teams keepers, I don?t think I?ll win this year anyways, and even if I do the trade I could still stay competitive, and that?s not counting other potential moves to improve. Pav is also an upgrade on mantha I think, and neither fits into keeper plans, I won?t have room, but just in looking at ROS. I realize I?m losing the best player currently, and goals, but Boeser Barkov Keller sounds pretty sexy!

Dobber Sports Jedi

In a straight 2-2 deal... Keller's a big enough upgrade on Mantha to more than offset the downgrade from Benn to Pavelski... add in a 5th and now you've got my attention. I'd probably take the deal. Just as a strategic note moving forward - Beyond your rookie slot. There's little to no need to focus on youth in this set up. With 4yr as max contract length. Signing Crosby or even Ovie to that is not a bad idea. odds are with Ovie - you might see decline in year 4. Little to none with Crosby. Focus should purely be on Best player Available for all contract slots.... prospects/young players you might not get to keep long enough to reap full rewards. IE: Boeser. I'd consider moving him to a team with an expiring Seguin that you could sign for a couple years - or something in that ballpark scenario. I'm not fully aware of all the ins and outs of your contracts/rules - but from the example you could probably fine tune it to something where you'd benefits most short term.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by lucafen4 View Post
    In a straight 2-2 deal... Keller's a big enough upgrade on Mantha to more than offset the downgrade from Benn to Pavelski... add in a 5th and now you've got my attention. I'd probably take the deal. Just as a strategic note moving forward - Beyond your rookie slot. There's little to no need to focus on youth in this set up. With 4yr as max contract length. Signing Crosby or even Ovie to that is not a bad idea. odds are with Ovie - you might see decline in year 4. Little to none with Crosby. Focus should purely be on Best player Available for all contract slots.... prospects/young players you might not get to keep long enough to reap full rewards. IE: Boeser. I'd consider moving him to a team with an expiring Seguin that you could sign for a couple years - or something in that ballpark scenario. I'm not fully aware of all the ins and outs of your contracts/rules - but from the example you could probably fine tune it to something where you'd benefits most short term.
    I agree with what you?re getting at, you like this deal but as a whole don?t be too infatuated with young players. I love Benn as a 2, just as Kop is great as a 1, but either guy would have been fine as longer keepers, just how the slotting worked out. Boeser I?m limited with due to the fact he was my rookie, and after 2nd year you can sign them to max 2. Some rookies come out, do great and you have a 4 year slot, but I didn?t have that available; I was signing Barkov, and I moved Dubois, plus I wouldn?t have wanted Dubois as rookie and Boeser as 4, because I would have had to try and shed another contract. Do you like Keller, Barkov, Boeser, Wheeler Zadina going forward, just in terms of quality? Boeser is def expendable with getting Keller, I?ll wait for him to heat up, and see from there. Boeser I could also still sign to 2 after the year and be happy with him.
    Keeper League
    No Salary Cap
    Skt points: A (2), GWG (1), G (3), ShG (1), Hat Trick (1), Overtime Goal (1), +/- (0.5), PPA (0.5), PPG (1), SHA (1), SHG (2)
    Goalie points: A (2), G (10), SHO (4), W (5), OL + ShL (2)
    Keepers: Kaprisov (4 yr), Svechnikov (3 yr), Point (2 yr), P Kane (1 yr)
    C/LW/RW
    Daily
    Starters: C - Horvat, Point, LW - Dubois, Kaprisov, RW - Kane, Svechnikov, D - Montour, Doughty, Skt - Hyman
    Bench: Trocheck, Rakell, Wedgewood, Francouz
    Rookie: Kochetkov
    IR:

Max GP: C (164), LW (164), RW (164), D (164), Skt (82), Goalie (82)
    1 rookie & 3 IR spots
    14 teams (4 keepers/team + can carry 1 rookie over)
    Fantrax

Dobber Sports Pro

Basically you want youth because in keepers guys love that, and they?ll have great trade value if they pan out, so Keller for 4 is better for me vs Benn for 2, as I?d have to try and move a 30 year old Benn in the off season, or risk going into his expiring year and trying to trade him later. But yeah, I signed wheeler to 4 (is now my 3), so I agree veterans matter too in a keeper sense. I just don?t see myself as winning this year, too many strong other teams.

Dobber Sports Pro

Because not Everyone is Crosby or Ovechkin, so i?d Rather trade Benn and get Keller vs Keller keeps getting better and the deal cosrs me more, or I trade Benn for someone straighten up that may be the same age or a few years younger. I mean yeah, Benn for a 25 year old would be good; but teams generally don?t look to move a 25 year old for a 29 year old, unless you?re getting a generational guy back.