Thread: Dennis Cholowski

Dobber Sports Monster

Default Dennis Cholowski

Surprised there hasn't been more chatter around Dennis "Cholo" Cholowski lately. I kept reading a lot of positive comments on his play during the pre-season and that has poured into the regular season. He is off to a solid start with 3 pts in 3 games and has been given ample playing time due to Detroits recent slew of injuries on their blue-line. With that being said, do you guys see him as a 40+ pt d-man in the future?

The Great One

Default Re: Dennis Cholowski

Yes, I think 40 is very possible for him. Probably not this year though. Maybe in 3-4 years, I think. He has certainly looked very good in the games I've watched him play so far.
    12 team, H2H, salary cap
    1 pt/G or A, 2 pts/W, 1 pt/OTL, 1 pt/SO

Forward: B. Point, M. Necas, A. Debrincat, T. Zegras, J. Bratt, L. Raymond
    Defense: J. Morrissey, A. DeAngelo, S. Gostisbehere, D. Doughty
    Goalie: T. Demko, E. Merzlikins
    Bench: M. Rossi, C. Glass, M. Maccelli, M. Dumba, K. Shattenkirk, F. Andersen
    Prospects of Note: L. Stankoven, J. Lekkerimaki, D. Yurov, B. Clarke

League has been running continuously since 1997-98

Dobber Sports Pro

I don’t know if he can reach 40 but I see him easily around 30 points for the future. With the Wings poor D, he should have a lot of opportunities. As for now , he will miss the next 2 games ... another D injured in Detroit!
    League 1
    10 team, Dynasty, points only, 30 players, keep20 starts 12 F, 6 D, 2G , unlimited prospects(can keep them max 5 years)
    F: Mackinnon,Marner, Panarin, Eichel, Fiala, Hughes, Svechnikov, Robertson, Bratt, Kuznetsov, Hischier, B.Tkachuk, M.Tkachuk, Scheifele, Wheeler, Jenner, Drouin, Tatar, Colton
    D:Hughes, Hamilton, Karlsson, Dunn, Burns, Theodore, Slavin, Trouba G: Shesterkin, Binnington, Vanecek
    League2
    Cap league (82.5M with AAV), points only, 12 teams, keep 7, (9F, 4D, 2G)
    F: Hughes, Zuccarello,RNH, Marchessault, Scheifele, Toffoli, O’Reilly, Trocheck, Buchnevich extra: Marchenko
    D: Makar, Dahlin, Seider, Andersson
    G: Hellebuyck, Talbot

Dobber Sports Veteran

Still hoping they give Hronek a shot although Cholo was taken a round earlier in 2016.

Dobber Sports Veteran

Based on what I've read I'd project him as a top pairing 35 point type. I don't think he's expected to be a super dynamic offensive PPQB, but on the other hand he's developed faster than expected and I've read people commenting on his passing, poise with the puck, patience, and vision.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    Based on what I've read I'd project him as a top pairing 35 point type. I don't think he's expected to be a super dynamic offensive PPQB, but on the other hand he's developed faster than expected and I've read people commenting on his passing, poise with the puck, patience, and vision.
    Do you see Hronek assuming the PPQB mantle, or someone else?

Dobber Sports Novice

Cholowski is injured for a few days I believe and Kronwall is back which will hurt Cholowski. I think his showing in Kronwall's absence definitely gave him a boost but I don't think it's Cholowski's year just yet. Maybe later in the season or next year he might bring more to the table IMO

Dobber Sports Immortal

I still like Cholo here. Kronwall is done.

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by audiopile View Post
    Still hoping they give Hronek a shot although Cholo was taken a round earlier in 2016.
    I agree with this. I think Hronek has more offensive upside than Cholowski

Dobber Sports Blue-Chipper

Quote Originally Posted by rtstr View Post
    I agree with this. I think Hronek has more offensive upside than Cholowski

Very interesting, it's the first time I heard about Hronek. Do you think he is more gifted offensively than both Cholowski and Hicketts? I ask that because I am the owner of Cholowski and Hicketts and I was thinking that I was pretty sure to have the next PPQB of the Wings....
    10 team dynasty (salary cap), start every week 12 fowards, 6 defenses and 2 goalies
    Fowards: G, A
    Defense: G, A, short handed time (0,25 pt / 2 min)
    Goalies: W 2 pt, OT lost 1pt, Shootout lost 1pt, shutout 1pt

F: Gaudreau, Matthews, Malkin, Eichel, Fiala, Zibanejad, Pavelski, Skinner, Nelson, Suzuki, Eriksson Ek, DeBrusk
    D: Karlsson, Josi, Heiskanen, Montour, Theodore, Ekholm
    G: Sorokin, Samsonov
    Bench: Rust, Backstrom, Mittelstadt, Couture, RyJo, Lehkonen, Coyle, Yamamoto, Barbashev, Sharangovich, Coronato, Luostarinen, Provorov, Brodie, Lindell, Spurgeon, Orlov, Fleury, Bobrovsky, Blackwood, Husso, Vejmelka
    Farm: Snuggerud, Miroshnichenko, But, Korchinski, Ersson

Dobber Sports Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Muir View Post
    Very interesting, it's the first time I heard about Hronek. Do you think he is more gifted offensively than both Cholowski and Hicketts? I ask that because I am the owner of Cholowski and Hicketts and I was thinking that I was pretty sure to have the next PPQB of the Wings....
    I do think he's more gifted. I'd definitely drop Hicketts for him. I like him for a few reasons:

1. Czech prospects, for whatever reason, are always undervalued in fantasy hockey. Maybe lack of exposure? His value is currently the lowest it'll ever be so now is the time to stash

2. Hronek has played 2 seasons in North America and has looked great each year-- 61 pts in 59 GP in the OHL, and specifically as a rookie in the AHL last year with 39 points in 67 games

3. He's a right-handed shot which could help fast-track him to a PP spot someday

4. Hicketts has skills, but 5'8'' as an NHL dman is a tough sell. I think he'd need to be truly elite to carve out a consistent role for his career and so far that doesn't seem to be the case

5. Circling back to the AHL-- comparing Hronek to Hicketts last season is pretty telling. 39 points and +24 vs 12 points and -10 in the same amount of GP. Ouch.

6. He's got decent PIM totals so you can count on more peripheral production than you could from Hicketts or Cholo

Obviously as a Hronek owner I am biased, but I went through this exact same eval over the offseason and determined that Hronek was the best bet of the three. Of course I could be wrong but I think he's looking like a great stash right now. Good luck with your decision!

Dobber Sports Veteran

Hicketts will not be an NHLer. He works hard, really hard, to compensate for his lack of size but it won't be enough. Too bad because he's got everything else you want in a player but he's still too small for the big league.