Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Worried about Ehlers?

Dobber Sports Veteran

Default Re: Worried about Ehlers?

Because of his salary he has to play more minutes even if Paul Maurice doesn't want him to. They will be forced to play him appropriately or trade him so I wouldn't worry.

Kucherov has 0 points right now.
    10 Team Limited Keeper (Keep 8) Points Only
    SALARY CAP (Player Salaries) League
    20 Player Teams = 12 Fwd 6 D 2 G

My team: ???

Dobber Sports Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Luffy D Monkey View Post
    Because of his salary he has to play more minutes even if Paul Maurice doesn't want him to. They will be forced to play him appropriately or trade him so I wouldn't worry.

Kucherov has 0 points right now.
    Kuch has only played one game

Not a big fan of the scheduling for the first couple weeks of the season, my team is getting shafted on goalie starts especially. That's a separate issue though.
    10 Team Fantrax Weekly H2H
    19-Man Roster, 8 Keepers, 12 Minors (<150 NHL Games Kept Free)
    Pos: 3xC / 3xLW / 3xRW / 3xD / 3xG / 1xUtil / 3xBench / 5xIR
    Scoring: (G=1) (A=1) (W=2) (SO=1) (SV=0.05)

2020-21 League Champion 🏆

Re-tooling Season. Keepers moving forward:

C: N.MacKinnon, E.Pettersson, T.Zegras
    LW: A.DeBrincat, A.Svechnikov
    RW: W.Nylander
    D: C.Makar, R.Dahlin

Notable Minors Eligible/Prospects: C.Sillinger, S.Pinto, P.Krebs, F.Lysell, M.Coronato, S.Perunovich, F.Nazar, S.Durzi, S.Skinner

Dobber Sports Master

Followed training camp very closely. Ehlers being paired with Roslo and Vesalainen early on had more to do with getting those two going (and playing with a fast, offensively gifted pro) than it did with Ehlers himself doing anything wrong. The long-term plan is absolutely to have Roslovic centering Laine and Ehlers but his game is not there yet. For whatever reason, early on, Roslo has not got his speed and smarts from last year on par. It'll come, but just like Connor had to be demoted again in his second season to light a fire, so might Roslovic. WPG really likes Vesalainen and his camp was pretty good; they just wanted him to play with talent instead of with grinders.

This is early season experimentation to get everyone going, not just the Scheifele line, who is automatic. Little has lost a step but Maurice is loyal to him and wants to give him every shot, since he also has a hefty salary to justify.

As far as Ehlers is concerned, he has to stop taking slap shots from outside the circles. The style that made him most successful was driving the net hard with ridiculous edge work and getting in tight to score. I think Maurice wants him to get back to that and if he does, he'll open up space for Laine and it won't matter who rides the 2C role between those to scary scoring threats.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by agentzero View Post
    Followed training camp very closely. Ehlers being paired with Roslo and Vesalainen early on had more to do with getting those two going (and playing with a fast, offensively gifted pro) than it did with Ehlers himself doing anything wrong. The long-term plan is absolutely to have Roslovic centering Laine and Ehlers but his game is not there yet. For whatever reason, early on, Roslo has not got his speed and smarts from last year on par. It'll come, but just like Connor had to be demoted again in his second season to light a fire, so might Roslovic. WPG really likes Vesalainen and his camp was pretty good; they just wanted him to play with talent instead of with grinders.

This is early season experimentation to get everyone going, not just the Scheifele line, who is automatic. Little has lost a step but Maurice is loyal to him and wants to give him every shot, since he also has a hefty salary to justify.

As far as Ehlers is concerned, he has to stop taking slap shots from outside the circles. The style that made him most successful was driving the net hard with ridiculous edge work and getting in tight to score. I think Maurice wants him to get back to that and if he does, he'll open up space for Laine and it won't matter who rides the 2C role between those to scary scoring threats.
    Thanks for the insight. Nice to hear you have the beat on the Jets so I will ask this: it's not just the slow start from Ehlers; it's that it doesn't seem he will ever break through to that first PP unit. With so many penalties these days; PP is more important than ever IMO. I have an offer for another slow starter in Boeser. Plus minus counts in my pool, so there is that part to be scared of as Ehlers should fare well there vs Boeser (it's significant too; so Ehlers +10 vs Boeser say -10 is a 20 point difference). Goals are 3, assists are 2 to round out the scoring. Last year Ehlers had 170 points in my pool; Boeser had 138. Over 82 games, Brock would have (potentially) had 183.

As a jets follower, would you make the move of Ehlers who is safe but won't get the opportunities, for Boeser who is risky but gets all the key minutes?

Thanks.

Dobber Sports Padawan

he's going to bounce back. it's too early to be concerned about guys right now

Dobber Sports Ace

Quote Originally Posted by FantasyKing View Post
    he's going to bounce back. it's too early to be concerned about guys right now
    It is too early...but when is it too late?
    16 team Pts only dynasty league
    G, A, PPG, SHG, GWG, Svs, SO's, W's
    Pro Roster Starters: 9 F, 6 D 1 G

FWD: Hertl, Forsberg, Quinn, Rantanen, Debrincat, Couturier, Dach, Trocheck, Larkin, Seguin
    D: Chychrun, Grzelcyk, Trouba, Burns, Walman, Karlsson, Graves
    G: Kahkkonen, Keumper, Reimer

Farm (notables):
    F: Pekarcik, Dellandrea, Cowan, Puistola, Halttunen, Simoneau, Bolduc, Nadeau, Stankhoven
    D: Brzustewicz, Alexeyev, Jiricek, Reinbacher, Minnetian
    G: Fedotov, Tarasov, Kochetkov, Skarek, M. Gibson

Dobber Sports Stud

Aagin I'm looking at his place on the team, not his start. He is at best the 4th best option up front and NOT on PP1

Dobber Sports Master

Quote Originally Posted by HonkyTonkMan View Post
    Aagin I'm looking at his place on the team, not his start. He is at best the 4th best option up front and NOT on PP1
    So the PP is a really good question. It has everything to do with how well Connor has fit with his trio and far less to do with where Ehlers belongs. He belongs on the top PP. With Laine's ridiculous shot, they need a spot for that trigger. Wheeler and Scheifele are no-brainers. So then you look at Buff and Connor. Connor is fantastic at digging out pucks and dishing them quickly to an open man. By fantastic, I mean ludicrously good. He could stickhandle in a phone booth. His shot is also a laser beam. People speak of how hard Laine can shoot, but Connor can really zip it. His release is deceiving. Ehlers is very good in the corners too, but no better than Connor. I would say that best, they are equal. Ehlers probably fits best in Wheeler's spot, as they have similar skill sets, with Ehlers being the faster skater. Then again, Wheeler goes nowhere, right? So they either move to a 5F PP or Ehlers only gets on if someone stumbles or gets hurt. I think the Jets want him on the top PP and since Connor could have chemistry with anyone (he bounced around the lineup a little early on last season and still produced), I could see them swapping those two. Problem is, Connor has forced their hand so unless he stumbles, all the spots are spoken for. I don't think the Jets could run a 5F PP. I don't see anyone of them being able to cover the point the way a D does, especially if there's a shorthanded rush the other way. Wheeler and Connor would be best bets, but those two are way more useful inside the circles than at the point.

All be told, I would probably trade Ehlers for Boeser in your setup. VAN +/- can only go up and Boeser will get way more goals than will Ehlers.
    Blades of Steel
    9 Team Full Keeper - Pts Only (G,A,W,SO)

Crosby, Wheeler, Bergeron, Forsberg, Connor, Kopitar, E.Lindholm, Pastrnak, DeBrincat, Fiala
    Jones, Klingberg, Hamilton, Theodore, Letang
    Saros, Shesterkin
    Garland, Vrana, Bjorkstrand, Verhaege, Backstrom, Karlsson, Perunovich, Spurgeon, Pulock, Hellebuyck

Dobber Sports Genius

I'd also take Boeser over Ehlers.

Dobber Sports Stud

And this is what I was thinking. As an outsider who watches Jets games but isn't in that market, that is the consensus I came to as well.

Buff ain't leaving that PP and Connor has earned that spot. Laine's ice time isn't where it should be either, but at least he has the PP time to make up for it.

Cheers

Dobber Sports Padawan

Jets have scored only 8 goals this year in 4 games. 2.00 goals per gp. 4th lowest in NHL. The big line has 5 of them. Last year Jets were 3.33 gpgp, 2nd highest in NHL.
    They are not scoring this year, so far. Probably why Ehlers #'s are so poor to start?
    SOME POOL RULES. Points only (G-1, A-1). One year Hybrid Pool. 3 round draft with balance of roster selected from any undrafted NHLer.. 19F 4 D 2 Rooks SALARIES AND POSITIONS DO NOT MATTER (other than being a F or D). NO Inter-Team Trading, Bench or Minors. Our WAIVER WIRE is ANY player in the NHL who is not Drafted in our league's 3 round draft. Each manager gets 6 ADD/DROPS (TRADES) for the year...any player on roster can be TRADED for any unDrafted F/D/R from ANY NHL team. INJURY RULE "IR". A hurt player can be replaced by another F/D from HIS NHL team and this is NOT considered a trade.. Injured player can be put back on team any time.

Dobber Sports Stud

I'm more concerned about his ice time going all the way back to last year. Also, he now has 4 goals in his last 40 games so there's that...

Dobber Sports Padawan

Didn't know about the 4 goals...not very good.
    I picked Ehlers over Radulov or Bergeron...sheesh, not too bright.

Quote Originally Posted by HonkyTonkMan View Post
    I'm more concerned about his ice time going all the way back to last year. Also, he now has 4 goals in his last 40 games so there's that...
    SOME POOL RULES. Points only (G-1, A-1). One year Hybrid Pool. 3 round draft with balance of roster selected from any undrafted NHLer.. 19F 4 D 2 Rooks SALARIES AND POSITIONS DO NOT MATTER (other than being a F or D). NO Inter-Team Trading, Bench or Minors. Our WAIVER WIRE is ANY player in the NHL who is not Drafted in our league's 3 round draft. Each manager gets 6 ADD/DROPS (TRADES) for the year...any player on roster can be TRADED for any unDrafted F/D/R from ANY NHL team. INJURY RULE "IR". A hurt player can be replaced by another F/D from HIS NHL team and this is NOT considered a trade.. Injured player can be put back on team any time.

Dobber Sports Stud

Quote Originally Posted by everfeb View Post
    Didn't know about the 4 goals...not very good.
    I picked Ehlers over Radulov or Bergeron...sheesh, not too bright.
    I'm pretty much in the same boat if that makes you feel better!

Dobber Sports Genius

We're only 4 games in. At some point soon, the Jets are going to start scoring in bunches, and there will be points for everyone. They've got a long home stand starting up, and things will get back on track.