Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 15 ... LastLast

Thread: William Nylander contract situation

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: William Nylander contract situation

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Of course JT took less to play in Toronto. It was his childhood team that he grew up idolizing. Marner may take a cut for this reason too, but that's not the case for Nylander or Matthews. I dont expect them to take a cut and its almost arrogant for Leafs mgmt to think that they will take less to play for the Leafs so they can all play together. I just dont see it happening for them all.
    Especially Shanahan, what a joke his little media scrum was.. Saying he took less money with the Wings.. Ummmmm weren't you at the end of your career with the Red Wings?? I actually commend Willian Nylander for sticking to his guns here.. He knows as soon as he signs for $7 million, Marner signs for more..
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

How will the Leafs afford:
    Matthews $12 million
    Tavares $11 million
    Marner $9 million

$32 million plus for 3 forwards??
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    This is the most ridiculous statement I've read so far. Just absolutely ludicrous. Some super fans are just so blinded with their one-sided arguments.
    For some reason people loving shilling for billionaires instead of the actual athletes that entertain us. Siding with management never makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
    Especially Shanahan, what a joke his little media scrum was.. Saying he took less money with the Wings.. Ummmmm weren't you at the end of your career with the Red Wings?? I actually commend Willian Nylander for sticking to his guns here.. He knows as soon as he signs for $7 million, Marner signs for more..
    Nobody in Detroit took less to play there lol. They didn’t have to. Detroit was rich and there wasn’t a cap. And if they did take less they’re dumb, for the aforementioned reasons.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Nobody in Detroit took less to play there lol. They didn’t have to. Detroit was rich and there wasn’t a cap. And if they did take less they’re dumb, for the aforementioned reasons.
    Let us not forget that Shanahan signed with the Blues as a RFA, costing the Blues Scott Stevens as compensation in the process. Is that what Nylander should do in this situation?

Also, Shanahan wound up in Detroit originally via trade, because he demanded to be dealt from Hartford.

I don't think Shanahan should use himself as a player to emulate during these negotiations.

Administrator

I'm glad Shanahan is taking some flak for his historically dumb comments, and I mean in higher media places. They didn't just let it pass in favor of Go Leafs Go hype. At the time Detroit had about four times more payroll than teams like Columbus. They didn't sacrifice to stay together. Whenever there was a problem they fixed it by throwing another 4-6 million in the pot. Example: their goaltending.

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

https://theathletic.com/568842/2018/...liam-nylander/

Regarding Nylander and having no leverage...that’s not exactly true.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Regardless of which side one takes here, there is no right or wrong. The Leafs are right to seek the best possible value and Nylander has every right to try to extract as much money as the negotiations will eventually bear.

Having said that, emotions aside, facts are facts... the most important of which is this: Nylander has no leverage. So it makes no sense for his agent and/or dad to be playing this game of chicken with Willie's life (and that's really the most annoying aspect for me... Nylander doesn't know any better and he's clearly getting some bad advice from his handlers).
    If he wants to play soon, they will have to come off their absurd Draisatl asking price.
    That's an opinion, not a fact. lol

Contact me for Frozen Tools bug reports and inquiries
    Follow Frozen Tools on Twitter @FrozenTools
    Follow me on Twitter @DH_EricDaoust

Dobber Sports Sage

I don't know the RFA rules as well as other sports. Is there a qualifying offer that Toronto has to offer? At this point can Toronto just 6 for 6 or sit home? If he does sit out, does the year count towards UFA status?
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

To put some numbers behind the whole “Detroit sacrificing money” thing, here is how much over league average Detroit spent leading up to the lockout/cap

98-99: 18.6 mil above average
    99-00: 11.8
    00-01: 21.7
    01-02: 28.6
    02-03: 26.5
    03-04: 33.5

Yea they really sacrificed there.

In your opinion.
    In my opinion
    Great so we all agree it’s not a fact it’s an opinion.

The Leafs have a better chance of winning the cup with Marner and Matthews on their ELCs. That’s not an opinion, that’s just math.
    The Leafs have a better chance of winning the cup with William Nylander in the lineup. He’s simply a better player than say Par Lindholm. That’s an opinion, but it’s nearly impossible to argue the opposite.
    William Nylander has to sign a contract by December 1 to play this season. Again that’s just a fact.
    Marner and Matthews will not be on their ELCs next year. Again, just a fact.

If Nylander is willing to sit out this entire season if he doesn’t get the contract he wants, then the closer it gets to December 1 the more leverage he has because Toronto management should be taking the approach that this is the year to be all in for the cup. Every year after this will be harder with the salary structure of Marner-Matthews-Tavares-Nylander. As such, Nylander gets leverage due to the contract status of Matthews and Marner. It’s simply false to say he has no leverage, unless Toronto management doesn’t consider this year their best chance to win a cup, and if that’s the case then there are bigger problems within Toronto management.

"If Nylander is willing to sit out this entire season" = LOL.
    Is there any indication he’s not? His dad played in the NHL, he’s not exactly hurting for money.

Btw, IF Nylander kidnapped Dubas' wife, he'd have leverage too. Just like IF the Leafs started losing, he would acquire some.
    Right now, this point in time, zero leverage.
    In your opinion. Which is an opinion. And you haven’t provided any tangible evidence to back up that opinion. As usual.

Big Daddy

This is the best active thread on the boards right now. Carry on!

Dobber Sports Guru

In your opinion.
    In my opinion, it's indisputable.
    The Leafs are winning and scoring plenty of goals without him. The only way he'd have leverage is if they were losing and struggling to score.
    The Leafs are winning, but aren't looking good. The Habs outplayed them. The Sens beat them. And they barely beat the Hawks who had Cam Ward in nets.

The Leafs have played three teams that all missed the playoffs last year, are projected to miss them again this year, and the Leafs are struggling against these teams. I don't think that takes away from Nylander's leverage.