Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 ... LastLast

Thread: William Nylander contract situation

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: William Nylander contract situation

Quote Originally Posted by als_revenge View Post
    I guess McDavid grew up an Oilers fan, by that logic.
    Draisaitl.

Dobber Sports Novice

As a Kapanen keeper league owner I hope Nylander sits all year. Looks good tonight next to Matthews, could be the break he needs to get off defensive duties

Dobber Sports Monster

For Nylander owners sake I hope this doesn't become Michael Peca situation 2.0 and he sits all year. They have to figure this out before December 1st I believe or he cannot play this season. I think in all fairness he deserves a 5-8 year deal at $6.0 - $6.5. He is a very good offensive winger but don't think he's worth anything near $8.0 from what some of the rumors are what Nylander is asking for.

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Of course JT took less to play in Toronto. It was his childhood team that he grew up idolizing. Marner may take a cut for this reason too, but that's not the case for Nylander or Matthews. I dont expect them to take a cut and its almost arrogant for Leafs mgmt to think that they will take less to play for the Leafs so they can all play together. I just dont see it happening for them all.
    It is arrogant and self serving for management to publicly state these things.

Marner, Matthews, and Nylander haven't made a 40 million dollar fortune yet like Tavares has. That's what this contract is for these kids. Forever life changing money.

In 8 years Matthews/Marner/Nylander may decide to take a 5 percent paycut from fair market value to play for their dream team because they'll already be rich. No need to do it for this one from their perspective, like Tavares did they can join a contender 5-8 years from now if winning becomes the be all end all.

They aren't there yet and because hockey is so volatile/dynamic and a game changing injury could happen at any time (see any number of former NHL ers and ask them if they should have treated it like a business when they had the opportunity) they ought to get themselves and their family as much as possible. And no one should hold it against them or pressure them into a decision that's not in their best interest.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Sophomore

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko-Pouko View Post
    .... It's pretty ridiculous to put all the blame on a 22-year-old kid.
    That 22-year old kid is holding the success of the most valuable franchise in the league at ransom for money he has yet to earn. This is the big leagues, and being a kid is no longer an excuse.
    12 GM keeper - Keep 2 forwards, 2 d, 1 g
    Current keepers: McDavid, B. Tkachuk, Hedman, Makar, Shesterkin

G A SOG PPP HIT FW BLK
    W SA SV% GAA

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by lukepicmo View Post
    That 22-year old kid is holding the success of the most valuable franchise in the league at ransom for money he has yet to earn. This is the big leagues, and being a kid is no longer an excuse.
    Most contracts today coming off ELCs are paid for expected future production, not what they have done to date. Nylander is no different.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Novice

With the caveat that hockey isnt basketball, theres truth to the argument that its more important to win, even financially. Look at the sponsorships and shoe deals that NBA stars get, vastly outwegghts maxing out a contract. So durant and the rest of the GSW leave a bit of money on the table. Hes getting paid 30mm per year on shoes, and if he hadnt wont championships or played in a big market that might be 10-15mm less.

Nylander is going to be playing in the biggest, most lucrative hockey market in the world. He signs a deal leaving 1.5mm on the table over 5 years, and gives them a better chance to win. And he stays in the market. Imagine they get forced to trade him to Columbus or something. Goodbye any sponsorships. And yeah he wont get basketball money but he can probably recoup that 1.5mm per year in endorsements.

If I was his agent id get him to sign for the duration of his RFA years in Toronto and then be a UFA as early as possible.

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by Chuk View Post
    As far as Nylander goes, the salary cap has changed the way teams are built. No more back loading, no more long extensions, so Dubas has to negotiate the way it is required. Shanahan was absolutely truthful and forthright in his analogy of the Red Wings, but until you win, it does not seem applicable. Although it is likely the only road to winning. Nylander can demand, he can sit, the Leafs do not need him. Worse case scenario he gets traded for the defenseman that everyone desires. The CBA has cretaed the playing field, and if Nylander does not want the Ehlers --- Pasternak range 6.1-6.7 and he does not want the Nurse bridge contract 3 @ 3.2, then stay home with your father and come talk to us next year.

Matthews will get his 12, Marner likely 8.25, so Nylander will take his 6.25 or suffer the consequences. If all else fails, go play elsewhere. These players are too stupid to see that 6million and winning is a very different quality of life than 8 and losing, but they are kids.

If you don't like it, discuss it with your agent and the NHLPA during the lockout.
    Hit the nail on the head. If I could rep this post 100 times I would.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Big Daddy

Quote Originally Posted by MZac View Post
    It's been mentioned but the trade return for Nylander is a real life trade where top 4 defenseman are significantly more valuable than wingers. Think Hall vs Larson only Nylander is no Tayler hall and he's currently holding out so id expect a worse return. Essentially its probably no where near worth trading him right now. Leafs might actually be hoping for an offer sheet in some ways. I doubt that's coming though.
    You are right in the sense that Nylander's value is the lowest it possible could be right now with the hold out but let's not kid ourselves. Hall for Larsson isn't accurate market value and can't be used as a measuring stick for winger value vs. D-man value. That was a blip because Chiarelli is bad at his job.
    PAT QUINN MEMORIAL CUP
    Clouds of Blood
    12 Team Head-to-Head
    G-A-PPP-SOG-FW-HIT-BLK / W-GAA-SV%-SV
    24 Man Roster
    Keep: 6 Forwards, 4 Defencemen, 1 Goaltender & 1 Prospect
    Keepers:
    C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Chuk View Post
    If all else fails, go play elsewhere. These players are too stupid to see that 6million and winning is a very different quality of life than 8 and losing, but they are kids.
    Sure. Let him play elsewhere. All Toronto has to do is make Nylander a UFA, and Nylander will be happy to go elsewhere.

As for making less money and winning, what guarantee is there that Toronto will win with Nylander making less money. Imagine if Nylander took $2 million less per year for eight years and the Leafs can't win. That's $16 million he left on the table for nothing.

I can't imagine my boss coming to me and asking to take 25 per cent less just so he can hire someone else.

Writer of the weekly Top 10 column.

12-team Keeper pool, straight points for forwards & dmen. Goalies get: 2 points per win, 3 per shutout, 1 point per assist & 1 point per shootout loss.

League champ in 2013, 2015, 2018, 2020 and 2022.

Top 8 forwards, 5 dmen and 2 goalies count.

We keep 15 players (any position) plus two rookies.

Forwards: Panarin, Ovechkin, Kopitar, Stamkos, Tuch, Rust, Marchessault, Pavelski, Miller, Bertuzzi, Stone, Kakko, Brown, Stankoven, Kovalenko
    Defence: Hedman, Fox, Matheson, Thrun, Jiricek
    Goalies: Kochetkov, Talbot, Vasilevskiy, Campbell, Schmid

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by newfcollins View Post
    Sure. Let him play elsewhere. All Toronto has to do is make Nylander a UFA, and Nylander will be happy to go elsewhere.

As for making less money and winning, what guarantee is there that Toronto will win with Nylander making less money. Imagine if Nylander took $2 million less per year for eight years and the Leafs can't win. That's $16 million he left on the table for nothing.

I can't imagine my boss coming to me and asking to take 25 per cent less just so he can hire someone else.

Agreed. And I'll go a step further to say if a young player on his second deal leaves 12 million on the table, he's stupid. Nylander is not set for life. He is one major injury away from having his earning potential permanently changed. As you read more and more from Toronto fans you see how their passion for their team clouds their judgment. Nylander is being smart not greedy or selfish. Make your money then worry about winning.
    10 Team, 60 Player Roster
    G, A, PTS, PPP, PIM, BLKs, Hits, +/-, Shots, W, GAA, SV%, Saves
    C- JHughes, Trocheck, RThomas, Zegras, Norris, Bennett, PLD, Stephenson, Danualt
    RW- Raymond, Stone, TWilson, Toffoli, KJohnson, Nyqvist, Zary
    LW- Keller, Schmaltz, Bunting, Skinner, Barbashev, Duclair
    D- QHughes, McAvoy, Doughty, Heiskanen, LHughes, Mintyukov
    G- Shesterkin, Demko, Andersen, Kahkonen, Levi, Tarasov, Annunen

Notable Prospects- Nikishin, Kulich, Leonard, Wood, Perreault, Lekkermaki, Ostlund, Othmman, REvans, L-Heureux, Ivanov, Murashov

Dobber Sports Wizard

This is the most ridiculous statement I've read so far. Just absolutely ludicrous. Some super fans are just so blinded with their one-sided arguments.

Dobber Sports Giant

I'm pretty sure Nylander is free to exercise his rights as a laborer in the free market. You guys all love capitalism, don't you? Nylander is just exercising his bargained-for rights, and attempting to negotiate what he feels is a fair price for his services. The Leafs aren't entitled to his services unless he decides that the price is commensurate with the services he provides. That's how this whole thing works for the players, it's how it works in the general labor market in which we participate. We're all just living in a society, folks ...
    MounD - Double Threat FHL (18-19 champs)

10-Team Yahoo daily H2H Dynasty
    3C, 3LW, 3RW, 6D, 2G, 7Bn (IR)
    G, A, +/-, PPP, SHP, SOG, FW, HIT, BLK // W, Sv, GAA, Sv%, SHO

C: Bergeron, Barkov, Aho, Point, Kadri
    LW: Marchand, Landeskog, Hertl, Marchessault
    RW: Stamkos, Tarasenko, Laine, Palmieri
    D: Carlson, Letang, Dumba, Weber, Pietrangelo, Ristolainen, Byfuglien*
    G: Bobrovsky, Holtby, Lehner, Greiss-Varlamov

Farm: Turcotte, Cozens, Denisenko, Newhook // Sandin, Jokiharju, Dobson, K'Andre // Shesterkin

Dobber Sports Sage

Quote Originally Posted by DusterDave View Post
    You are right in the sense that Nylander's value is the lowest it possible could be right now with the hold out but let's not kid ourselves. Hall for Larsson isn't accurate market value and can't be used as a measuring stick for winger value vs. D-man value. That was a blip because Chiarelli is bad at his job.
    If they end up trading him, which I bet they won't, I coukd see the return being very similar. Someone mentioned tanev (which isn't what they need at all) but I'd think the return would be close to that level. Nylander is not bringing home a star future defender.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Sage

Bridge contracts in the NHL are constantly being signed on future potential.

The franchise being the most valuable is not relevant in any way. Other than maybe they can most afford to pay him fairly, which is counterintuitive to your argument?

Ransom money? Umm, ok... Not at all what it is, but sure.

This 'kid' has played in the 'big leagues' for 3 seasons and scored at a pretty good rate. He's not making any excuses. If he were a pushover kid with a bad support team around him he'd have succumbed to the pressure put on him by his employer and one sided fans by now.

Forwards:

Defense:

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):