C - McDavid, Matthews, Aho
    LW - Panarin
    RW - Pastrnak
    D - Hedman, Hamilton, Doughty, Burns
    G - Markström
    P - Cayden Primeau

Dobber Sports Grand Master

Default Re: William Nylander contract situation

Ah yes. "editorinleaf", the shining example of informed knowledge lol. That's certainly one opinion, but certainly not the only opinion. It also coincidentally states he does in fact have leverage.

I can just as easily post articles saying he does have leverage right now. Like I said, when you're wading into narratives and ignoring facts (a Gilmour special) you can really say anything you want.

Dobber Sports Guru

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    Recent history shows that players (such as Johnny Gaudreau) tend to do poorly in these negotiations. So unless Nylander is willing to miss the entire season, he has no leverage. "
    This seems to imply that he has leverage if he is willing to miss a full season. And it seems like he is willing to do so, so I guess he does have leverage.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Willingness to sit out a season in and of itself - is leverage. "You won't give me what I feel I deserve? That's fine. I'll work on my tan."
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

Dobber Sports Deity

Serious question, can he go play in the SHL or the KHL after the deadline if a deal doesn't happen or is he stuck due to Leafs holding his rights?
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

The Great One

Just have Carolina send them Pesce and McEllhiney and be done with it.
    12 team Yahoo Roto keeper (keep 3)
    9 F, 6 D; roster 3 G max
    G,A,PPP,SOG,BLKS,HITS - W,SO,SV%,Saves

F: B Tkachuk, Stutzle, Eriksson Ek, Necas, Konecny, Cooley, Boldy, Lehkonen, Tippett
    D: Dahlin, Seider, Matheson, Durzi, Addison, Mintyukov
    G: Hill, Husso

IR:

Bench: L Hughes, Merzlikins, Terry, Tuch

Quote Originally Posted by Axeman33 View Post
    Serious question, can he go play in the SHL or the KHL after the deadline if a deal doesn't happen or is he stuck due to Leafs holding his rights?
    Based on the O’Reilly situation, I believe he could play in the KHL right now with an out clause if he wanted. The transfer agreement hasn’t changed since then.

Dobber Sports Deity

Quote Originally Posted by rataylor22 View Post
    Based on the O’Reilly situation, I believe he could play in the KHL right now with an out clause if he wanted. The transfer agreement hasn’t changed since then.
    So he does have options then.
    10 Team, Points Only, Cash League

25 Man Roster (no position), top 20 point getters count at end of month
    Keep 20/25 at seasons end, Cut 5 to FA for redrafting
    Goalie points W=2pt L=-1pt SHO=2pt

Stamkos, Tavares, Eichel, Mercer, JRobertson, RThomas, Kucherov, Nugent-Hopkins, Tuch, KConnor, Necas, Point, Konecny, SJarvis, Cozenz, Morrissey, Bouchard, Josi, Novak, Tolvanen, Peterka, Brink

G- Vasilevskiy, Sorokin, Oettinger

"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but dont stare.. Unless you're wearing sunglasses."

Dobber Sports Jedi

Uh huh, and there is certainly a long list of players who established the undeniable precedent of being "willing to sit out an entire season."

If that's your definition of leverage, then all I can do is throw my arms up in the air.

#shakingMyhead
    It would be a lot easier if you just quoted me. If you're going to address my comment, it would be preferred if you did - as others are on the thread as well. Makes it easier to follow.

There doesn't have to be a list of people having done it for him to be willing to do it. What I said, was that willingness is and of itself is leverage. It wasn't an exhaustive explanation of what leverage he may have in these negotiations - nor was it meant to be. Only to point out what I did. That was all.. I wan't disagreeing or agreeing with either position - only pointing that one little small thing out.

Ryan O’Reilly. You’re right, it wasn’t hard.

Dobber Sports Guru

If players in Willie's situation have all this leverage you keep talking about, shouldn't be hard to cite some examples where players did well on their deals...
    Ryan Johansen pops to mind. Columbus offered him $6 million over two years. RyJo wanted $13 million over two years. He eventually got $12 million over three years, with the last year at $6 million.

Ken Dryden was technically a holdout in the early 1970s.

Ryan O'Reilly has been mentioned in this thread already, but bears repeating.

Gaudreau only missed a couple of games, but got what he wanted.

Lindros is probably the most well known example. He technically held out after being drafted by Quebec, and got exactly what he wanted.

Dobber Sports Jedi

Ryan O'Reilly is the McIntosh to Nylander's Spartan... they're both apples

22 - end of ELC deal - holding higher demands than the team is willing to entertain. It's about as close to identical situation as you'll find in sports

Dobber Sports Sage

I mean to say Nylander has zere leverage is as naive as saving the leafs have zero leverage. The longer this goes the more Nylander gains in leverage imo. Nylander could likely force the leafs to make a bad trade. That's a form of leverage.
    Set roster weekly in H2H (Mon to Sun) - 16 Teams - start 6F, 3D, and 1G per week - Keep 2

Points: 2 G / 2 A / 1 PPG / 1 PPA / 1 Hat Trick / 1 SHG / 1 SHA / 1 GWG - 3 Goalie Win / 2 Goalie Loss in SO or OT / 5 goalie SO

Forwards:
    C. McDavid, N. Kucherov, R. O'Reilly, J. Schwartz, J. Toews, J. Huberdeau, T. Toffoli, M. Granlund

Defense:
    B. Burns, J. Klingberg, R. Josi, J. Slavin

Goalie:
    J. Binnington

IR (2 max):

Dobber Sports Jedi

if there's no contract by Dec 1. Then teams like LA - gain leverage. They offer Tor roster help for a playoff push this year - they'd prefer to not have Nylander this season - Lose for Hughes

Dobber Sports Jedi

For anyone who may have forgotten, the NHL was in a little thing called a lockout when OReilly went to the KHL.

But yeah, sure, "pretty close to identical" "apples to apples" etc. Whatever you say.
    If you're looking for an 'exact' carbon copy to Nylander.. you win - you won't find it. ROR is the closest thing to it in the cap era. ..

... Kinda why I made the comment - "There doesn't have to be a list of people having done it for him to be willing to do it"