Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MLB American League Playoffs

Dobber Sports Immortal

Default MLB American League Playoffs

Who goes to the Series??

Dobber Sports Supreme Grand Master

Default Re: MLB American League Playoffs

I voted for Houston.

Pretty much because I hate the Red Sox and Yankees.

I would love to see Chief Wahoo go out in style... but I think Hoston wins that series!

Dobber Sports Jedi

Boston vs. Houston... but Verlander is the difference maker
    Follow me on twitter: @doylelb4

I voted for Boston. But that Boston/Houston series is going to be Really Really Good!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Immortal

Man this is a crazy good final four. Just 4 elite stacked teams.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Man this is a crazy good final four. Just 4 elite stacked teams.
    2 of these teams are going to be very disappointed.. The team that loses in the American League Championship series is going to be devastated!!
    Zorro says "vote for Dobber"
    Angus is my best friend at dobberhockey..

Dobber Sports Icon

Seeing my Red Sox face the Yankees in the first round after setting a franchise record for wins has been brutal! Just hoping they pull it off.
    Without me, it's only "aweso".

Dobber Sports Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by 4T2 View Post
    Seeing my Red Sox face the Yankees in the first round after setting a franchise record for wins has been brutal! Just hoping they pull it off.
    Uhhhh they did ok last night. And looking great right now vs CC,

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyrobot View Post
    Uhhhh they did ok last night. And looking great right now vs CC,
    Yeah, Monday night was an awesome surprise and I'm glad they held on for the win last night. CC looked awful though and probably cost the Yankees a chance at forcing game 5. Bring on the Astros!

Dobber Sports Icon

If Mookie makes the catch with his glove behind the line it's still an out right, even though he was over that invisible barrier?

If that is the case, then I believe that calling the out was the right call as the fans hands made contact with his glove and closed it prematurely.

Of course, I'm a Sox fan, so my opinion is likely going to lean to whatever helps my team, but I'm making an honest attempt to see this in an impartial light.

Dobber Sports Icon

Quote Originally Posted by eyemissgilmour View Post
    That's a fair point, but I think the rules say interference should only be called if the fan reaches into play (i.e. that's why I mentioned the barrier issue...). I don't believe any fan on that play reached into the playing field. It was Betts who went off the field.
    Ah, well if that's the way it reads, then yes, there should be a mechanism to rule something like that a ground rule double. I think part of the issue is that there was no clear angle to show straight down the barrier. There was a camera at one angle I saw live last night but the security guard was leaned over blocking the view. Admittedly, it does look like Mookie is the one breaking the plane from certain angles.

Dobber Sports Immortal

Ya I still don't understand how it was an Out either. That jump by Betts was insane, but every replay I saw showed him breaking the plane.

Dobber Sports Superstar

The reason it was called an out and not a Home Run is simple: ….. Joe West!
    Seriously, West is basically the only umpire I know by name and it’s because he is always making these controversial calls (usually wrongly) to get himself on ESPN and then throwing players and managers out for arguing with his terrible calls. Sidenote: his strike zone is terrible.

I have no idea how an umpire standing in right field can make the call he did (the rule with the requirements to call the batter out are below) and since the replay was somehow inconclusive the call has to stand. This is not the same as the Yankee kid pulling a homerun into the stands when it was clearly going to hit the wall; the Altuve ball was 2 feet over the wall and over the yellow line when caught.

(3.16) Spectator Interference: When there is spectator interference with any thrown or batted ball, the ball shall be dead at the moment of interference and the umpire shall impose such penalties as in his opinion will nullify the act of interference.
    Note the umpire has discretion here. This is why a fair ball touched by the batboy/fan is usually called a double but can be called a triple or single (or a pop-up an out).

APPROVED RULING: If spectator interference clearly prevents a fielder from catching a fly ball, the umpire shall declare the batter out.
    The word “clearly” here is important. As I discuss below You can’t say Betts was “clearly” prevented given the difficult of the would be catch.

F
    urther, Rule 6.01(e) states: No interference shall be allowed when a fielder reaches over a fence, railing, rope or into a stand to catch a ball. He does so at his own risk. However, should a spectator reach out on the playing field side of such fence, railing or rope, and plainly prevent the fielder from catching the ball, then the batsman should be called out for the spectator's interference.
    And here is what should be Houston’s smoking gun! The ball is (IMO) over the yellow line when caught, thus the ball is a homerun unless the fielder can catch it and bring it back into the field of play. If the fielder chooses to reach into the stands (leaving the field of play) he does so at this own risk and is not entitled to any protection from interference. The fan has just as much right as the player to catch the baseball once it leaves the field of play (the yellow line), he could have straight up tackled Altuve, or pulled his glove off and by rule the call would be homerun.

Further, the rule states the batsman can only be called out if the fielder “plainly” prevents the fielder from catching the ball. Mookie Betts is a heck of a player but this was anything but a routine fly ball. He leaps into the air, the wall and throws his glove back, to suggest he “plainly” would have caught the ball without interference is a further stretch.

When West made the (IMO) terrible call I was instantly relieved that replay existed, until I wasn’t. Astros got robbed on the play.
    12 team H-2-H 1 year league, daily roster changes, 3 goalie start minimum/week
    2xC, 2xRW, 2xLW, 4xD, 3xUtil, 2xG, 5 Bench
    G, A, P, PIM, PPP, SHP, GWG, SOG, Hits, W, SV%, GAA, SVs
    C: C. Keller, C. Mittelstadt, B. Nelson, R. Strome,
    LW: K. Connor, B. Tkachuk, J. Gaudreau, J. Marchessault, E. Rodrigues, A. Lafreniere
    RW: K. Fiala, J. Bratt, T. Jeannot V. Arvidsson
    D: R. Josi, J. Trouba, E. Gustafsson,
    G: L. Thompson, F. Gustavsson, V. Vanecek
    NO IR

Dobber Sports Immortal

Awesome post. And I agree..Joe West is always terrible. He's the only one I know by name and face as well.

Dobber Sports Icon

Thanks for the awesome clarification LawMan

Pretty crazy that Mookie made almost exactly the same catch again last night!